Noise from 3.5rpm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horseydonkey

Reaction score
Hi guys, new owner of a '15 with electronic suspension. Great bike with the exception of the noise. Just above 3k rpm in third a v loud whine starts. I've read the other threads but am still not convinced this is normal.
At a constant throttle and acceleration it's distractingly loud but eases off when slowing down. That's with earplugs in, without them it's unbearable. I've had shaft bikes before but have never heard anything like this. Surely the infamous whine can't be loud enough to almost drown other sounds out?

Just in third?

There is a bit of a whine with these bikes but nothing I have noticed as exceptional. Then again, my hearing isn't perfect...

FJRs do have a distinctive sound but nothing I consider loud or concern causing. Have you confirmed fluid levels in final drive? How about tire condition? A badly scalloped tire makes all sorts of unpleasant noises.

~G

3k in 3rd is awfully low rpm. The fjr is not a Harley.

3rd to 5th. Can still just about make it out at 80mph. At the 60mph limits here its at its worst, seriously distracting. I've changed the shaft oil and so on but it makes no difference. Tyres were changed too. Its actually bad enough that I'm considering getting rid of even though it's a great bike otherwise, possibly the best all-around pure road bike I've had in 30 years of riding.

I do lots of putting around in higher gears between 3000 and 4000 RPM. For sure it is not in the performance band but not exactly lugging the engine either. Still more than sufficient torque and who needs performance in town anyway?

I asked the question whether it was third gear only or any gear at that speed. If it is ONLY in third, it pretty much has to be in the transmission. If it is speed related, does it still make the noise with the clutch pulled in (tires, shaft or wheel bearings). Otherwise, you are back to the transmission (if only third) or engine (if it is RPM and not gear related).

Probably all gears, just not enough load that I can detect it below 3.5k in third. Had a good mechanic check it out and he said it's in all gears but he couldn't find anything obviously wrong like wheel bearings. It goes away when off the throttle. Its bearable for short distances but had me driven nearly batshit on a 5 hour spin yesterday.

Unless I am on the freeway, 3k is not a normal rpm for me. My fjr is pretty doggy under 5k.

Mine ('19) does something similar at around 100kph. It goes away above or below that speed. Not overly loud, but noticeable.
Noise goes away with clutch in. In fact, I suspect the clutch may have something to do with it.

@horseydonkey, is there a way you could record the sound of your bike (with a GoPo or your mobile phone) and post it here? Try to record the sound at lower RPMs, and then the change you notice when you raise the RPM to 3.5K or above in third gear. I don’t claim that I could figure out the source, but there is a lot of experience on this forum, and someone might have encountered it before and could give you a clue. At the least, it would be educational for all of us to hear it.

Last edited:
Somebody must’ve switched out my in-line four for a V-twin cuz my FJR is happy as can be putting around as low as 1,500 RPM through town. Sure, I like to downshift twice to pass grandma at the edge of town when the speed limit goes back up to 45+ but unless you’re trying to make a statement it’ll accelerate just fine from 1,500 without any bucking or carrying on.
Granted, with Two Brothers pipes it sounds much better at around 3-4k RPM (or higher 😀) but it’s not a Detroit diesel either (“drive it like ya hate it”).
Certainly these bikes weren’t designed for low end torque but with 1295cc’s they’re not exactly slugs.
Just my opinion - and my style. But then again, my ‘93 Chevy pickup (350, 5-speed) had 264,000 miles on the original clutch when I drove it to the salvage yard. Probably would’ve gotten 300k or more if it weren’t for the rust here in PA. 😢
All that said to make a simple point: Let’s have our fun but don’t be afraid to baby our babies too! 👍🏼😊

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried to record with the mobile but unfortunately can't hear anything with the wind noise on it. Might try again with it in a sock or something.

Hi guys, new owner of a '15 with electronic suspension. Great bike with the exception of the noise. Just above 3k rpm in third a v loud whine starts. I've read the other threads but am still not convinced this is normal.
At a constant throttle and acceleration it's distractingly loud but eases off when slowing down. That's with earplugs in, without them it's unbearable. I've had shaft bikes before but have never heard anything like this. Surely the infamous whine can't be loud enough to almost drown other sounds out?

I had an 2007 FJR and it had a terrible whine that changed with engine rpm. The shop was at a loss until one of their techs asked a factory tech about it at a training session. He suggested a dynamic adustment of the engine balancer. They did it and it worked. Still had some whine but barely noticeable. Might be your issue. I have an 2013 FJR now and it also has a whine. Mostly noticeable in gears 3 and 4 under acceleration. Not bad though. . Just their idiosyncrasies I guess.

The 2015 FJR is the last year of the 5 speed transmission with straight cut gears. My 2006 AE doesn’t make any whining noise in any gear or rpm. Maybe try switching engine oil. I use Rotella T6 5W-40.

My 2022 FJR has the same whine that you described from the day I bought it new. I call it a turbine winding up sound. I asked the dealer about it and they test rode it and said it sounds like a FJR. Had he throttle body synced at 4000 miles (it was almost perfect). 13 months later and 8000 miles, sound still there (no better no worse). I just stopped worrying about it, use ear plugs and enjoy the bike.

This perfect for me"turbine winding up melody/sound"Was one of the reason that i bought it at 2003!What a sweet turbine whining melody it is!I l am in love with that sound... Especially on 2nd,3rd gear on acceleration!🙂😍❤️💖💞💓💗