Noisy gear change ('06 model)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QTreiber

Reaction score
Whenever I change gears, from N to 1, 1 to 2 etc., it always generates a "clunk" noise, no matter how long I wait to change gears after pulling the clutch lever.

This is the '06 model, about 400 miles on the odometer and this happened from the very beginning. I am used to this from the three Guzzis I had, but I am surprised to see/hear this from the FJR.

Yes, I do pull the clutch lever all the way...

Is this normal? Can it be fixed?

Thanks and greetings from the Front Range,

Armin

I have not noticed any different clunk on my '06 than with the '04 when going up and down thru the gears. I do feel the shift into 1st from neutral is much smoother now, than the '04 ever was.

I did raise the idle speed to 1100 RPM. The bike was running just below a grand at idle and if you're not super careful matching revs you'll get the herky jerky (technical term) action going on.

Give yourself and the bike sometime to get acquainted....it'll be alright. :D

--G

OTreiber, my 06 does the same thing mainly when I put it in first after warmup. But first is the only gear that might "clunk". I also noticed in shifting some problems mentioned in other posts, ie. jerking, hard shifting, etc, but have learned that this bike shifts better if you keep the shifts on the quick side ie don't take your time to make the shift. I am also considering removing the center throttle spring as Madmike indicated. This should help smooth things out also. Maybe just a matter of breakin and making sure the TBC is done and proper idle is set. Ride safe, PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds the same as all the previous models.

No worries, the FJR clunks. With some more miles and oil changes, the clunk will get smoother.

When the bike/oil is cold, it always clunks into 1st. That cold clunk will always be there.