non functioning abs...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vulcanraven

Reaction score
I recently picked up a '04 w/abs, 54k on the clock. On a ride last night I was stopping for quick changing light when the rear brake locked up. After this the abs light stayed on. I pulled over and turned it off and upon restarting the light was off but I have no trust in the system. Anyone have any ideas where I can start to look into this. Thanks in advance for the help.

The troubleshooting section of the manual is pretty good. Over 100 pages are dedicated to the function, diagnostics and maintenance of the ABS system. I would be the answer you want is in there. If I get a chance later I'll check ans see what the options are, but off the top of my head, you may have a low fluid level, pad wear, a leak in the master cylinder, or any number of issues. A diagnostic code was probably set when the light came on, and a mechanic can retrieve that code and narrow your search.

abs lined up ?

I'd start here with a quick visual to make sure that the wheel sensor was properly aligned after the last tire change. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently picked up a '04 w/abs, 54k on the clock. On a ride last night I was stopping for quick changing light when the rear brake locked up. After this the abs light stayed on. I pulled over and turned it off and upon restarting the light was off but I have no trust in the system. Anyone have any ideas where I can start to look into this. Thanks in advance for the help.
When this happened on my 04 I took it to a Yamaha service shop. It turned out to be the ABS cylinder was rusted open. I think parts and labor came to about $1200 to fix it IIRC, the replacement part was somewhere between $800-$900. I now do two things:

- When riding the bike, every few weeks I find a safe spot and jam on the breaks to make the ABS cycle.

- Schedule a complete flush of the break fluid every two years.

IF you're comfortable that you can release the front brakes before the front wheel washes out. Just a quick thought/test, have you tried locking up the front brakes to see if the ABS there will kick in, you only mentioned that the rear locked up, this might give you some more ideas of where the problem is not.

The system is trip wired to turn off and leave you with good old plain brakes if anything at all isn't right. I started to occasionally get a flashing ABS light right after installing some cheap aftermarket LED brake light bulbs. Sounds crazy and a lot of people will argue that the bulbs have nothing to do with the actual ABS, but I haven't had a single problem since changing the bulbs back to stock last summer.

The system is trip wired to turn off and leave you with good old plain brakes if anything at all isn't right. I started to occasionally get a flashing ABS light right after installing some cheap aftermarket LED brake light bulbs. Sounds crazy and a lot of people will argue that the bulbs have nothing to do with the actual ABS, but I haven't had a single problem since changing the bulbs back to stock last summer.
You're right it doesn't affect the operation of the ABS. However, the ABS ECU monitors the brake light circuit and if it doesn't find the resistance it expects, it flashes the ABS warning light.

Don

Not on an 1st gen. I've had my brake pedal stick leaving the light on (more than once) and no ABS light or malfunction was ever noted. I think the second gen ABS computers are a bit different.

Ditto. My Gen I has had sticky brake peddle syndrome a couple of times and my ABS light did not come on.

The ABS light has five conditions -- does not come on at all; stays on steady; flashes; flashes every 0.5 seconds; does not come on and the other indicator lights do not come on either. When the ABS light came on what did it do?

When the original poster picks up the ABS supplemental manual it will make it easier to sort everything out. As one of the basic procedures the manual has you install a test coupler adapter onto the test connector, a 4 pin connector under the D panel that is clipped to the frame. It looks like a regular connector with a cap over the pins. Turn on the ignition key; press the starter button for at least 4 seconds then step on the brake peddle and pull in the brake lever at the same time. This will activate the ABS components and the OP will be able to hear/feel the ABS solenoid and feel pulsating action first in the brake lever, then in the brake peddle. Access to the test connector will also let the ABS warning light flash out error codes and reset error codes.

The fancy test coupler adapter is simply a jumper for two pins and two loose flying leads from the other two pins. The jumper puts the ABS ECU into the diagnostic mode and the two flying leads only provide a convenient way to connect a volt meter. I have listed the wire color codes and what needs to be jumped and connected to a meter sometime in the past. I can find this info when I have access to my manual but the OP will still have to purchase the supplemental manual to do the very convoluted tests and get the list of error code flash patterns.

Thanks all for the info. I'll pick up the supplemental ABS manual for starters and try to test the system. Thanks IonBeam.

Blind Squirrel I hope I don't end up where you did.

James K it locked up on me.

ShinyPartsUp Nice

Thanks all for the info. I'll pick up the supplemental ABS manual for starters and try to test the system. Thanks IonBeam.

Blind Squirrel I hope I don't end up where you did.

James K it locked up on me.

ShinyPartsUp Nice
Not really...uhm....nice. He's a known "dreamer" and cleavage centric. :)