North to Alaska 2019 - Once there were Twenty now there are SIX

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Relaxing in down town Kerrie, BC

We found Lincoln Rd in Montana- wow!!

Great roads down there, I'll be back.

Canadian FJR

You could have slept there, too!

At those temperatures and lack of direct sunshine, mud shouldn't be a problem on the unpaved parts (at least not near Deadhorse). Hope they don't hit ice. Somewhat warmer nearer Fairbanks...(I wonder if there has been much recent precipitation?)
They are both on their Super Tenere.
They seem to be making good progress. They are currently about 20 miles north of the Artic Circle monument and about 250 miles south of Deadhorse
Without their SPOT link it didn't happen - JSNS Post here so we can all follow
I'll let them. They only shared it with a select few here in the PNW.

They are in Wiseman tonight. Sounds like the Artic Ocean is still frozen over from what they are telling us. They may not go all the way up since they won;t be able to see the water and the temps are really cold with wind chills in the teens.

At those temperatures and lack of direct sunshine, mud shouldn't be a problem on the unpaved parts (at least not near Deadhorse). Hope they don't hit ice. Somewhat warmer nearer Fairbanks...(I wonder if there has been much recent precipitation?)
They seem to be making good progress. They are currently about 20 miles north of the Artic Circle monument and about 250 miles south of Deadhorse

They are in Wiseman tonight. Sounds like the Artic Ocean is still frozen over from what they are telling us. They may not go all the way up since they won;t be able to see the water and the temps are really cold with wind chills in the teens.
looks like this is their Northern most point reported in on the spot. My guess is weather, temperature, and wind chill played a role in turning around.

Latitude : 68.25431

Longitude : -149.41968

Altitude : 956 m | 3136 ft

Time : 6/1/2019, 1:03:15 PM

Currently they are just south of wiseman, Looks like camping at Marion Creek Campground

looks like this is their Northern most point reported in on the spot. My guess is weather, temperature, and wind chill played a role in turning around.

Latitude : 68.25431

Longitude : -149.41968

Altitude : 956 m | 3136 ft

Time : 6/1/2019, 1:03:15 PM

Currently they are just south of wiseman, Looks like camping at Marion Creek Campground
https://goo.gl/maps/sXBhtNxQw74KXnk39

juniorFJR: I'll never worry about GeorgeKevin on the other hand.
Unlike our 2011 trip to Watson Lake, I haven't had to save our lives yet. Still early, we have 15 more days of opportunities...
help.gif

~G

juniorFJR: I'll never worry about GeorgeKevin on the other hand.
Unlike our 2011 trip to Watson Lake, I haven't had to save our lives yet. Still early, we have 15 more days of opportunities...
help.gif

~G
Too bad the weather wasn't cooperating this time. Guess that means another trip in the future!

Pre-Trip Ramble to check out the Vstrom for Festar - Spearfish to Red Lodge to Spearfish via a circuitous route.

Lots of snow up top on 14A between Burgess Junction and Lovell WY, roads clear and dry.
Sited over 20 Moose between Burgess Junction and Lovell WY yesterday evening.
20190603_185519-XL.jpg

Got pictures of the one that posed for FESTAR!
20190603_184805-XL.jpg

20190603_184755-XL.jpg

Festar, Kip and I rode the Beartooth this morning, a lot of snow cover remains up top.
Snow banks obscure views through many corners, snow banks right up to the Fog Line and Guard rails.
No ice on the road today, Several spots of water crossing the road.
We passed several Harleys and a few cars and pickups, a generally unimpeded transit from Red Lodge to the Chief Joseph Junction.

No snow on Chief Joseph. Patches under some trees and in shady North slopes.

Shell Canyon from Greybull to Burgess Junction US14 was clear and dry,
We filtered to the front of a work site where they were clearing rocks from the shoulders near the canyon entrance, followed a pilot car for several miles and then had an unimpeded run to Burgess Junction.
Caught the previous group through the work zone after about 20 minutes just a few miles from Burgess Junction.

Ran Ten Sleep Canyon/Pass from Buffalo WY to Ten Sleep and Back this afternoon. Snow on top but roads clear and dry. One of the best Ten Sleep Runs I've ever made, Did see two of Wyoming's finest, one was "occupado" with a cage, the other zapped us with KA out of his rear window as we passed going opposite directions but we had slowed significantly and there was no pursuit.

Saw no PoPO anywhere else.

We did 980 miles from 1400 Monday until 2000 tonight (Tuesday)
PreAlaska%20Ramble%202019-XL.png

Some dipshit forgot to turn on his SPOT leaving Red Lodge this morning :roll: so the Red Lodge to 212/Chief Joseph Beartooth run shows as a straight line
laugh.png

Stopped in Red Lodge last evening at the Alpine Inn. a motorcycle friendly Motel within walking distance of the Brewery.
They serve a great cooked to order breakfast as part of your room $$.

Stopped and visited with the Manager at the Chateau Rouge, site of next years Rendezvous at Red Lodge II. Mr. Gilligan sais he had quite a few reservations, that the Lions Club was ready and able to do dinner again and that he had a new Breakfast Burrito person as the previous vendor has left town.

Festar loves everything about his Vstrom save the Fuel Economy. Mid-30's at best, lucky to get 180 miles per tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.