Northern New England RTE places

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
As anyone who has been following along knows by now, the NERDS standard MO for casual weekend rides is for one of us to pick a place (or places) to Ride To Eat, usually a breakfast or lunch spot, and then develop some sort of a fun ride to get there and/or back.

Over the years we've found some real gems. Personally, my preferences run towards the Diner type of places with good (cheap) down-home cookin'.

Anyway, I thought that it would be fun to start a list of RTE places. These can be places that we've already been to and liked, or places that are supposed to be worth a stop. I've already formed a seed list of 32 places, mostly in New Hampshire, but some in ME, VT and northern MA too. Take a look-see and post up suggestions of any great places that you know of that simply must be added.

I'll keep the master right list here in the first post of the thread. I've also made a downloadable GPS file (file shared via DropBox. You can just answer "no thanks" to signing up) of all of these locations as favorites that I will update occasionally. You can download and display them in Mapsource or Basecamp, or even import as a POI file, if you know how to do that (that's what I do with them).

This list should also serve as a good reference when dreaming of "what to do this weekend."
wink.gif

The Great NERDS RTE Destination list

A1 Diner, Gardiner, ME
Audrey's Cafe, Dublin , NH,
Benedict's Grill, Rochester, NH
Betty's Kitchen, North Hampton, NH
Big W's Roadside BBQ, Wingdale NY
Blackwater Junction Restaurant, Andover, NH
Blue Benn Diner, Bennington, VT
Cafe Deja Vu, Laconia, NH
Captain Hooks, Gloucester, MA
Captain Jack's, Naples ME

Charlie's Diner, Spencer MA
Chelsea Royal Diner, West Brattlboro, VT
Country Brook Cafe Kensington Twn, NH
Country Girl Diner, Chester, VT
Country Kitchen, Newport, NH
Curtis' All American BBQ, Putney, VT

Eagle's Nest Restaurant, Brewer, ME
Eaton's Sugar House Royalton, Vt
Eggies Diner, Atkinson, NH
Elmer's General Store, Ashfield, MA

Fiddleheads Cafe Hancock, NH
Glen Junction Family Restaurant Bartlett, NH
Grammy's Country Inn Linneus, ME
Granville Country Store, Granville, MA
Helen's Elsworth, ME
Howard's Drive-In, Brookfield, MA
Hungry Bear Pub and Grille, Bradford, VT
Intervale Farm Pancake House, Henniker, NH
Joey's Diner, Amherst , NH
Jordan's Restaurant, Bar Harbor, ME
Las Delicias Latina, Torrington, CT
Lindy's Gourmet Deli, Candia, NH
Littleton Diner, Littleton, NH
Little Red Smokehouse, Carver, MA

Lunts Gateway Lobster Pound, Trenton, ME

Maes Cafe Bakery Bath, ME
Maine Diner, Wells, ME
Maryann's Diner, Derry, NH
McCarthy's Restaurant Stowe, VT
Miss Bellows Falls Diner Bellows Falls, Vt
Miss Florence Diner, Florence, MA
Miss Worcester Diner, Worcester, MA

Monterey General Store, Great Barrington, MA

Moody's Diner, Waldoboro, ME

Nicky's Cruisin' Diner Bangor, ME
North Woods Cafe, Bradford, VT
P&H Truck stop Wells River, VT
Palace Diner Biddeford, ME
Parker's Maple Barn Mason, NH
Pauli's Bakery & Restaurant Tilton, NH
Peterborough Diner Peterborough, NH
Plain Jane's Diner Rumney, NH
Polly's Pancake Parlor Sugar Hill, NH
Poor Boy's Diner Londonderry, NH
Rainbow Sweets Bakery, Marshfield, VT
Red Arrow Diner Manchester, Milford, Londonderry NH
Red's Eats, Wiscasset, ME

Reins NY Style Deli, Vernon, CT
Riverside Cafe, Ellsworth, ME

River House Cafe, Milford, NH

Rock's Diner Ft Kent, ME
Rose 32 Bread, Gilbertville, MA
Salt Hill Pub, Lebanon, Newport, Hanover, Mt Sunapee NH

Smokey's Tavern, Rochester, NH

The Coach House, Brewer, ME

The Depot Sports Pub, Gardiner, ME
The Foothills of Warner Warner, NH
The Golden Egg Portsmouth, NH
The Old Creamery, Cummington, MA

The Warren Store Warren, VT
Tilt'n Diner, Tilton. NH
Top of the Hill Grille, Brattleboro, VT
Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound, Trenton, ME
Tuckaway Tavern, Raymond, NH

Vanilla Bean Cafe, Pomfret, CT
Wahoo's Eatery, Wilmington, VT

Woodmans' Essex, MA
Zoey's Deli and Bakery, Manchester, VT
Zoey's Double Hex Restaurant, Manchester, VT

158 Main, Jeffersonville, VT

Last edited by a moderator:
Good ones. That's what I'm talkin' about!! (added)

I had already thought of the Eagles Nest, but then like many things these days, that thought just slipped right out of my mind.. :rolleyes:

Keep 'em comin'!!

Your list is great, I added 3 off the top of my head

AI Diner Gardner ME, pricey but always good.

Littleton Diner, Littleton NH, very good hash, 2 types to boot.

Miss Worcester, Worcester MA...now not the greatest place to ride to but the Crunchy French Toast will make it worth your while as long as you are not looking at the calorie count. It is unbelievable

One 0f my favorites in Chester, CT was the Country Girl Diner. A really good Reuben, but it looks like it might have changed hands.

Oh there is the Rein's in Vernon, CT for New York ( which is really a Joisey) style deli, doesnt get better than this place.

The Map

I am sure I can come up with a couple more.

Willie

Miss Worcester, Worcester MA...now not the greatest place to ride to but the Crunchy French Toast will make it worth your while as long as you are not looking at the calorie count. It is unbelievable

One 0f my favorites in Chester, CT was the Country Girl Diner. A really good Reuben, but it looks like it might have changed hands.

Oh there is the Rein's in Vernon, CT for New York ( which is really a Joisey) style deli, doesnt get better than this place.

The Map

Willie

I looked at the menu for A1Dner, and it doesn't look too badly priced for breakfast.

Country Girl is in Chester VT (nor CT), which makes it all the better.

Littleton looks good too.

But Vernon CT is out of scope for Northern NE. Worcester would be about the southern limit, IMO

Heck, I try to avoid driving through CT, nevermind making a destination ride to. :p

I'll add the other four. Thanks. (added)

Not to forget the New England Riders has a whole web site dedicated to the "Best Of" in New England, which of course includes restaurants

You can find the Best of Restaurants HERE

Willie

Two of my favorites (not diners) are Las Delicias Latina in Torrington CT and Big W's Roadside BBQ in Wingdale, NY. LDL has the BEST authentic Mexican tacos I've had outside of Mexico and Big W's consistently puts out solid BBQ.

Two of my favorites (not diners) are Las Delicias Latina in Torrington CT and Big W's Roadside BBQ in Wingdale, NY. LDL has the BEST authentic Mexican tacos I've had outside of Mexico and Big W's consistently puts out solid BBQ.
Hi Ray!

Those sound great. I'll definitely file those away for future reference.

But they aren't in Northern New England (and actually... NY ain't in ANY New England (much to the dismay (and confuscation) of many Upstaters.)

BTW - Love your avatard. ;)

Fred,

The corned beef hash omlette @ the Tilt'n Diner, Tilton, NH is a good way to start a ride, be sure to click-up the rear shock preload one notch.

When I lived near there, the Maine Diner, Wells, ME was always good but can get crowded in the summer.

If the A1 in Gardiner's busy, around the corner is The Depot, best steak & cheese subs but you'll have to ditch the touring gear & don your Hardley D leathers.

Absolutely hands down no contest best is the steamed lobster @ the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound, Trenton, ME.

Nearby in Ellsworth for good home cooking is Helen's.

Just off 95 in Bangor is Nicky's Cruisin Diner, good BLT's & club sammies for lunch.

Rock's Diner in Ft. Kent, Me is good for breakfast, can't get any more northern New England than that, english is a 2nd language there.

If more come to mind I'll let you know!

Hi Ray!

Those sound great. I'll definitely file those away for future reference.

But they aren't in Northern New England (and actually... NY ain't in ANY New England (much to the dismay (and confuscation) of many Upstaters.)

BTW - Love your avatard. ;)
Sorry, I didn't see the northern New England requirement. :unsure: While I realize New York isn't considered New England, I figured it might be in you range of day rides and I really believe the locations I gave are worth the trip. Check em out!

I miss P&H Truckstop! All their food is great, but breakfast was my favorite. They have great pies too!

Wow!! Great suggestions.

How could I have missed Woodmans, Hungry Bear, Maine Diner or Trenton Bridge? We've actually stopped at all of those on rides! :)

And yeah, what the heck, RacinRay... if those places are that good we'd better add them to the list along with Willy's CT spot. You just never know when you're passing through those locations.

Also, +1 Bob on P&H. I had never been there before just this past May when we camped just down the road from there while running the PDR. We ate dinner there that night and were back bright and early for breakfast. It was awesome goodness. Biscuits and sausage gravy w/ 2 eggs on top! Yummy health food. :p The only thing was, after hearing how great their pie was, I was disappointed in it. Maybe they changed, but it sure tasted store-bought to me. The crust was doughy and thick. Blech. I didn't even finish mine. Sorry for the bad news.

I'd better get busy adding locations.

The Map

Willie

I looked at the menu for A1Dner, and it doesn't look too badly priced for breakfast.

Country Girl is in Chester VT (nor CT), which makes it all the better.

Littleton looks good too.

But Vernon CT is out of scope for Northern NE. Worcester would be about the southern limit, IMO

Heck, I try to avoid driving through CT, nevermind making a destination ride to. :p

I'll add the other four. Thanks. (added)

Fred Hate nto tell you this but there are some nice roads in NW CT :p

Fred Hate to tell you this but there are some nice roads in NW CT :p
Oh, I know. And so does the eastern RI border.

But I also know where Vernon is, and it isn't in either place. More like a suburb of Hartford.

However, since Reins is supposed to be a great Deli I will add it to the list along with the Upstate NY recommendations.

PS - Yeah... The appropriately named Burr-dicks is on a different list. :glare: