Northern New England RTE places

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another one, in Wiscassett, ME is Red's Eats.

https://www.redseatsmaine.com/

It's just a shack, but if you want to ride for lobster rolls, it's a good place.

You New Englanders already know about traffic issues in season ... Sometimes May and September are best.

If you're over in western Maine try Captain Jack's in Naples. Its a little hard to find as you have to go through a marina parking lot to get there. The place is on the second floor with a nice view of the harbor/marina and the food is pretty good.
Sounds good. I'll add it.

Smokey's Tavern in Rochester NH (downstairs from Granite Steak House)
Never heard of Smokey's what do they specialize in? Steaks from upstairs?

I've looked over the list, and I dont see Moody's Diner in Waldoboro, ME. https://www.moodysdiner.com/
A place that has bumper stickers declaring that "Pie Fixes Everything " ought to be included.
Yes, Moody's should have been on there.

Another in Ellsworth, ME is Riverside Cafe. No web site, but google knows it.
Never stopped there. What do they have?

Another one, in Wiscassett, ME is Red's Eats.https://www.redseatsmaine.com/

It's just a shack, but if you want to ride for lobster rolls, it's a good place.

You New Englanders already know about traffic issues in season ... Sometimes May and September are best.
Reds was an oversight too. It's between Red's and the Eagle's Nest for best lobster roll in ME. Being right on Route 3 at the bridge, Red's is a lot busier. Eagle's Nest is more of a locals dive.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll get them all added to the 1st post and the GPS list. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Riverside has excellent deserts and breakfasts. May be good for other stuff too, but I always go for breakfast items and pie. Even if you're not at Moodys, pie still fixes everything. We need to figure out how to slide some over to that "admins need to back off" thread.

Fred, here are a few more --

Wahoo's in Wilmington VT (surprised Russ hasn't mention this yet!) - seasonal

Curtis' BBQ - seasonal

The Old Creamery in Cummington, MA

158 Main in Jefferson VT

Elmer's General Store - a quirky local place conveniently located on Route 116 in Ashfield MA

There was also a great place we ate lunch at with Russ and Sarah on the ride home from NERDS this year, but I forget what and where. I do know we were all impressed with their offerings. Hopefully Russ remembers and chimes in.

(I'm kind of surprised you haven't banished the P&H😜)

Did a little sleuthing and figured out where we ate on the way home from NERDS -- the Salt Hill Pub in Newport NH. They also have locations in Lebanon, Hanover and Mt. Sunapee NH.

Another good one is The Tuckaway Tavern in Raymond NH. We've only been there for dinner when the wait for a table can be an hour or more (and worth it), but they do open up at 11:30 for lunch and hopefully the wait isn't that long earlier in the day.

All good suggestions. Time to get busy updating. I'll get them into the list on the first post ASAP and update the GPS file next week.

Happy Turkey Day everyone!

Huh. Didn't know this thread existed. Have it bookmarked now and will definitely be looking back on it come Spring. (Btw, it was the Peterborough Diner! Kinda close to Mass.
banghead.gif
)

Elmer's General Store - a quirky local place conveniently located on Route 116 in Ashfield MA
+1^ Quirky is a good word and each time I've stopped there I've found myself lingering just a bit longer than I thought I would. Bring a paper or magazine and enjoy a laid-back lunch.

My contribution would be the Monterey General Store on Rte. 23, due east of Great Barrington, MA. Nice offerings for lunch and plenty of seating if you walk through to the back.

The River House Cafe on "The Oval" in Milford NH. Excellent breakfast offering with ingredients sourced from local farms.

My son treated me to an awesome breakfast there this morning after I agreed to go stand in line with him at 6 a.m. at a liquor store for the Boubon County Stout Black Friday Release. Nothing like a plateful of really, really good biscuits and gravy after a morning out in the cold and wet weather.

As a plus, The Oval now has designated motorcycle only parking spaces on the end of each parking section. They were deserted today for some reason...

Updated the list in Post #1 of this thread and added hot-links to all RTE destinations. Many do not have (or maintain) a web page other than on Facebook, in which case I've included that. If they aren't even on Facebook I've provided a TripAdvisor type link.

In the "seasonal" category, I suggest adding Kimball's in Jaffrey and Westford (and possibly Lancaster). And not just for their ice cream, which is what so many people come from near and far to enjoy. While we haven't been there (yet) this year to do some quality control, they have fried seafood that we think is actually a notch above Woodman's, and a whole heck of a lot closer to home!

Good one! I can't believe that Kimball's wasn't on there already.

We've found a great breakfast spot just over the river into Vermont at the intersection of US route 5 and VT 12 in Hartland called, appropriately, the Hartland Diner. Very small inside, so not good for a big group outing, but if you are passing through it is well worth the stop.