Northern New England RTE places

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All suggested RTE locations have been added to the list and the POI file has been updated, with one exception: I can't find a North Country Diner in Bradford, VT, Dan.

Could they possibly have changed the name? That may be what they call the Perfect Pear Cafe now? That's supposed to be a pretty good place.

Ooops. Yeah, Helen sent me an email to add that one. Got it! (but Garmin says it's Gilbertville, not Hardwick)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooops. Yeah, Helen sent me an email to add that one. Got it! (but Garmin says it's Gilbertville, not Hardwick)
Let Garmin go toe to toe with the Post Office over the true location, the PO says it is in Hardwick (a government agency would never be wrong, would they).

Let Garmin go toe to toe with the Post Office over the true location, the PO says it is in Hardwick (a government agency would never be wrong, would they).
Apparently, 'cause the owners of the cafe think they are in Gilbertville too. Rose 32 Website (see bottom of page) :p

(note: Gilbertville is an unincorporated village of/in Hardwick)

Quote FredW: I can't find a North Country Diner in Bradford, VT, Dan

Fred,

It's on the other side of the Mobil station from the Hungry Bear (same building as the Mobil). You find it when you arrive at the Hungry Bear before they open. Good diner breakfast, and not too expensive. Was just there last weekend. It's been there for a while.

Dan

P.S. You ought to do an "in memorium" for the Stow Store.

The Granville Country Store in Granville MA (just shy of the CT border). Counter service with both hot and cold offerings, indoor and porch seating, or you can picnic in the park across the street. And if you go, don't forget to buy some of their famous cheese to take home!

Oh yeah, Charlie's Diner in Spencer MA. An old Worcester diner that was move from Worcester to Spencer.

Howard's Drive In in Brookfield MA near the Quabbin. Seafood, burgers and ice cream. Outdoor seating only.

And while I'm not too fond if their parking lot (large stone loose gravel!), and it's a big draw on the weekends for the loud bike crowd, the Vanilla Bean Cafe in Pomfret CT has good food and is near some of the better CT roads.

If you're wandering the Berkshires, The Miss Florence Diner in Floence MA is a good place to stop.

Haven't been there in a couple of years, but it used to be one of our favorite long rides for lunch, and it's on Route 30 close to Route 100 - Zoe's Double Hex in Manchester, VT (not to be confused with Zoe's Deli - their smaller location down the road).

Only open April through October and last time we were there it was cash only - Top of the Hill Grill in Brattleboro VT. BBQ with a view!

It's on the other side of the Mobil station from the Hungry Bear (same building as the Mobil). You find it when you arrive at the Hungry Bear before they open. Good diner breakfast, and not too expensive. Was just there last weekend. It's been there for a while.

Dan
Aha!! Found it. It's actually called the North Woods Cafe! And it's inside the Jiffy Mart, adjacent to (or part of) the Mobil station (added)

Got one that is a coin toss if it should be included. Lindy's Gourmet Deli in Candia. That seems to be a common end point when we ride with MarFJR and Dennis in NH.

Here's some northern VT RTE favorites.

McCarthy's Restaurant in Stowe, VT (Only open for Breakfast & Lunch) McCarthy's

The Warren Store in Warren, VT (Bakery & Deli, Great place to stop for lunch) Warren Store

Rainbow Sweets in Marshfield, VT (Bakery Extraordinaire and it's worth the trip just to meet the owner) Rainbow Sweets

Ed.

Thanks Ed.

When we stayed at the Commodores Inn this past May (while riding the PDR), the restaurant in the hotel was closed for mud season (that's the slow season in VT). We tried to find McCarthy's for breakfast the next morning, but failed miserably. Instead we ended up breakfasting at the Golden Eagle Resort's dining room. It was pretty good, but pretty much standard fare. I wouldn't put that one on the list. I wish we had McCarthy's address then. ;)

All suggestions added

Also updated post #1 with the best links I could find for each place.

You may want to add this joint in York, Maine, to the list . I just saw it on The Phantom Gourmet. Sticky Bun French Toast ? :dribble:

;)

And what about Lunt's Lobster Pound in Bar Harbor ? :D

2nd-Maine-Clam-Chowdah-Ride-M.jpg

I'll keep the master right list here in the first post of the thread. <snip>
First of all, thanks for that, and the post later on that links NE riders best of list as well. I am going to bookmark this and spend some time looking it over.

It's been since '09 when I was last in NE/Maine and have been meaning to get back but just don't seem to be able to put it together. Maybe next yr if I attempt a 4 corners.

When I was there in '09 I was searching for some good Maine food. I had gone into Bar Harbor and bought a lobster roll that was OK, but way overpriced IMO at the tourist trap I was parked next to.

I had left there and was keeping an eye out for a place to sleep that was hopefully walking distance to a good place to eat. I found this place in Searsport: https://www.anglersseafoodrestaurant.com/searsport.html

JsMainetrip044-1.jpg

It was right next door to the "Baits Motel" which was jointly owned as I paid for the room/got the key in the restaurant. I had actually ridden by it, stopped at a gas station just past and went in and asked if that was a good place. The clerk in there said that was one of the best and lots of locals come there from all over. Good enough for me!

Now, I don't know how this fares next to the ones in your list, but I can tell you it was the best "dining experience" I can remember. I went all the way and got the "Maine Shore Dinner" which was ~almost~ more than I could eat. Piles of mussels, clams, one big arse lobsta, and I don't remember what else. Holy Moly that was good! I can still taste it sometimes...

Dang, I'm getting hungry, maybe I can shoot up there some kind of way for one of your RTEs!

If you're over in western Maine try Captain Jack's in Naples. Its a little hard to find as you have to go through a marina parking lot to get there. The place is on the second floor with a nice view of the harbor/marina and the food is pretty good.