Nowthen, time for anudder Tech Day 4/25

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on being there. It's always a good time. Thanks to Mike and Joy for putting up with us.
Fantastic! Glad to hear you'll be making it to yet another tech day.

We really get a kick out of having you guys over. Besides it's the only weekend I have reason to straighten up my shed.

Well, again like every year you've done this, I am going to try and make it. I think there is a chance it could happen this year!

I just put a set of Erica's on my bike so I will just have to compare what others have done I guess. However, I hear the brats and such there are worth the trip.

Hope to see you there!

Paul

Looks like I won't be showing up until around 1 or 2. Save me a beer or two.
smile.png

Looks like I won't be showing up until around 1 or 2. Save me a beer or two.
smile.png
That'll be fine Gramps, we'll save a lil' for ya. You can tell Joe to show extra early then to make up for your late arrival.

Good news, the town came by last week and swept off all the sand off our street. It has been so bad previous years that it truly was a hazard to ride that last curve to our place.

I've been saving a few maintenance items for this Saturday. New front tire is on order for mounting. For anyone wanting to learn how to mount a tire the old archaic way, then this'll be the place to be.

I also will be needing to re-lube several areas. Change spark plugs. And perhaps wire in another GPS.

See y'all on Saturday.

I was hoping to make this event, but I unfortunately am not going to make it. I am being forced to head down to the Arkansas and spend a couple of days riding in the Ozarks.
smile.png

Mike thanks for hosting.

I guess if I were to be forced to do anything, I sure as heck wouldn't complain if were to ride in Arkiesaw.

Perhaps another time then Brian. Have a great ride down there, I've heard it's great. I almost got to ride down there. lol

Tripper,

Do you need any other tools for the event? If anyone is going to try a fork service I can bring my oil level tool.

If any other Gen 1s are there I am bringing a couple of stock shields and a touring shield. All are in very fine condition, if someone has a beat up one they want to swap out they are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
My quote button doesn't seem to work. Grrrr

Awesome offer on the shields John, thanks. I don't know if anyone will be changing out fork fluid or not, but you can bring it along anyways.

Roger, slapping on a new rear? Easy peasy bucko. And for what it's worth, the old archaic method is tried and true. It works every time.

I would really like to change the Fork oil at one of these events. I just do not know if I can get all the way up there and back in 2 days with doing the oil swap. My mechanical skills are not zero, but they are close. I obviously would need help.......actually I would basically just be handing someone tools and watching intently. I am good at being a bar B!@(# though.

If you decide to make the trip Cav, I'm sure we could find a bed for you. If you think you might want to refill with new shock fluid, I would suggest bringing along new bushings and seals. Order online tonight and you could have them before heading up.

I see Georgetown is on the eastern edge of Ill-noise, and I am about 30 mi.s NW of the Twin Cities. That would be a good ride. Do-able.

If you decide to make the trip Cav, I'm sure we could find a bed for you. If you think you might want to refill with new shock fluid, I would suggest bringing along new bushings and seals. Order online tonight and you could have them before heading up.
I see Georgetown is on the eastern edge of Ill-noise, and I am about 30 mi.s NW of the Twin Cities. That would be a good ride. Do-able.
Thank you for the sleep arrangement offer. I still have to figure out the 600 miles. I can stay at my brothers in Sycamore on Friday. But that still gives me almost 400 on Saturday morning. If I left at 7, that would put me at your place around 1. Is a fork service do-able on Saturday afternoon??? Then roll back Sunday 550 miles. I am not sure I even have time to look up the part numbers for the bushings and seals. Plus I do not trust myself to order the correct ones without spending time asking others if what I am ordering is right. I overworry about that kinda stuff.

A fork rebuild and refill is a about 3 hours if you have the correct tools and assuming you have the new seals and bushings in hand.

No Arkansas trip for me this weekend, so I will be at the tech session. Work demands are over the top, so I can't take any time off. It's always fun to hang with the FJR crowd.

I have seals, bushings and fork oil, but no the tools for replacing the seals. A friend has the tools, but he's in a rehab center with a severely broken leg. It was a freak ski accident at the Lutsen Mountain Meltdown on 4/11. He will be laid up for quite a while. They can't operate on it for another four weeks. Massive soft tissue damage and fracture blisters. Guess we should have gone riding instead.

We will have to offer a toast. He's a fellow FJR rider. Mike, you even saw him at First Thursdays on his H2. I'll fill you in on the details on Saturday. I even have some really gross X-ray photos to show, since I was the volunteer ambulance driver.

See everyone Saturday

Does anyone that is attending this event have a Gen3 with the Yamaha touring windshield? Considering making the change and that seems like a leading contender.

No Arkansas trip for me this weekend, so I will be at the tech session. Work demands are over the top, so I can't take any time off. It's always fun to hang with the FJR crowd.
I have seals, bushings and fork oil, but no the tools for replacing the seals. A friend has the tools, but he's in a rehab center with a severely broken leg. It was a freak ski accident at the Lutsen Mountain Meltdown on 4/11. He will be laid up for quite a while. They can't operate on it for another four weeks. Massive soft tissue damage and fracture blisters. Guess we should have gone riding instead.

We will have to offer a toast. He's a fellow FJR rider. Mike, you even saw him at First Thursdays on his H2. I'll fill you in on the details on Saturday. I even have some really gross X-ray photos to show, since I was the volunteer ambulance driver.

See everyone Saturday
Ahh crap Cookie, that's awful news about your bud. Yeah I remember him from that time as well as other times including Roger's valve check winter before last. Great guy, a little crazy but still a great guy. J/K Mike

I've got what it takes to do the shocks, no problems there. Bummer about work life trumping riding life. I guess it happens once in a while.

But heyyyyy, you've got us!! Consolation enough??
rolleyes.gif

It's always great to spend time with the local FJR crew. I'm looking forward to it. I'll bring the parts and the fork oil. If I get to the forks rebuilt, great, if not, that's fine, too. I like doing things in my garage, too.

Not sure what time I'll be there. I get to go to the Joe Bonamassa show Friday night. Since Stronie broke his leg, I get to go to the show with his girlfriend. Hey, what are friends for? He did set some very firm behavior limits for me. I should be home early. I'll try to get to the tech session at a decent time.