nuviz - Motorcycle Helmet Heads Up Display

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't seen much about this yet, except some pre-release hype from the company, and a few announcements in bike rags. It looks like it will be an all in one unit that does navigation, bluetooth comms, and HUD of pertinent parameters.

This could be really interesting if they can keep the price reasonable. I see add-on OBD3 HUD units for very little money on eBay, but I have no idea how effective those cheap units are.

I expect that the downfall of this one will be its price, but even if it is, prices should come down eventually, right?

nuviz Manufacturer's web site

Cycle World article seems to have a bit more detail.

Great idea. One reason I use a GPS all the time, and keep it mounted above the instrument cluster, is so that I don't have to look down at the instrument cluster very often.

If I understand correctly, nuviz taps into the bike's ECU for speed and some other information, and uses your smart phone for the GPS and communication capability. That means it does not have a lot of built-in function, it just displays what it gets from other sources. So, the price could be reasonable.

I don't know if the ECU interface on motorcycle ECUs is standardized, like OBDII is for cars. If it is, then this would be universal fit. If not, then it may only be available for a subset of models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a step closer to the riderless motorcycle? Will I be able to enjoy riding without leaving the comforts of my shop?

Yet another concept in the line of failed concepts. Nothing tangible has come from any of the previous start-ups of other now-defunct companies with the same ideas.

Is this a step closer to the riderless motorcycle? Will I be able to enjoy riding without leaving the comforts of my shop?
Huh? WTF does this have to do with a riderless motorcycle. The idea is just putting information where you can see it without taking your eyes off the road.

Yet another concept in the line of failed concepts. Nothing tangible has come from any of the previous start-ups of other now-defunct companies with the same ideas.
As far as I know this is the first startup to propose doing this. The others were all helmets with an integrated HUD, which along with their exorbitant estimated pricing, they never actually managed to produce, because making helmets is not as simple as they thought it was. Who would want to buy a helmet that was substandard just so they could have HUD, regardless of the price?

This thing would be some sort of an add on gizmo that you would attach to your own helmet. Not getting caught up in helmet design and production puts this into a different realm of possibility. It too may fail. But it is still an interesting idea.

There are heads up displays you can buy for your car that plug into the OBD2 port and project the data on the windshield. They go for as little as $30.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh? WTF does this have to do with a riderless motorcycle. The idea is just putting information where you can see it without taking your eyes off the road.
Just a comment on the creeping invasion of technology on us simple country folk.