October non-Washington ride options?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
I am leaning now toward not doing a Pacific Northwest trip in Oct. It is still an option, but it's a little colder with more chance of snow in the high passes than I might want to deal with. We have Icefields Parkway / Banff on our bucket list so it makes more sense to do some Washington with that anyway.  Now I'm looking at other options.  I usually spend a lot of time planning, but this one is going to have just a few weeks to plan out.

We often do a trip for a week or less in the fall so Appalachians and Arkansas are not on the list for a 2 week trip. We did NE all the way up to the tip of Nova Scotia and I think that would also be too cold even though I'd gladly go back to Bar Harbor. I'm not bored enough to want to do Key West. So that leaves me to somewhere out in the wonderful west.

We have had pretty good luck with 5000 miles in 15-16 days so that would be the intended basic plan. We've had three fantastic trips west:

1. Montana including Yellowstone, Beartooth, Bighorns, Glacier Park, black hills, badlands

2. Southwest including Grand Canyon, 5 southern Utah parks, Hoover Dam, Million Dollar Hwy, Independence Pass, Pikes Peak

3. Colorado / Wyoming where we rode the heck out of both states including some repeats

We also rented a bike and rode up and down CA a couple years ago as far south as LA.

What do you think about this option as a basic layout:

Ride through Texas to San Antonio, hitting the three sisters then over to Big Bend. Ride some of SW New Mexico, Southern AZ, then come up by the Salton Sea and ride across Death Valley. Ride up through central NV into Idaho to see Craters of the Moon and then up into Sawtooth. Head back down and ride some of northern Utah including Salt Lake and Park City.

Would you remove TX to ride more of AZ or Idaho? Anything else I am near but missing? Or other opinions?

Well, if you do end up riding through the Sawtooth, be sure to at least sample the ID Hwy 21 (Ponderosa Pine Scenic Route) south out of Lowman, - and consider a snack stop at the excellent Southfork Lodge (44.08099162990518, -115.61956935664132).

Damn I'm jealous - enjoy.    😭