Official Announcement: CFO 2007

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same thing happened to me. Turns out you need to call during the day. I left a number one evening, they called me back the following day, and I was able to make my reservation.

Its a little early for me to know for sure if I can make it but most probably will.

Last year I left Kansas City on the 31st of Aug. and went across the northern tier of KS on 36 hy and spent the night in St. Francis, KS, almost to CO. Had a big storm that night and got up the next morning, 09/01 and went over to 385, along the eastern edge of CO and headed north towards Hot Springs, SD. Ran into a damn storm starting about Bridgeport, NE. Temperatures were in the upper 30's to lower 40's with rain and winds with gusts probably pushing 40 mph from the north. Miserable damn time. Totally chilled by the time I reached my destination of Oelrichs, SD.

I was on my KLR 650 and it does not have the extra horsepower and aerodynamics for this crap and my fuel economy and performance were knocked down about 12 or so mpg. I would have ran out of fuel but luckily had carried along 2 pint containers of fuel which saved my hind end.

Spent the night there and the next day was cool but clear. Rode up to Rapid City and around the area and went back to Oelrichs. Got up early on the 3rd of Sep and headed home. Temperature was about 30 starting off at 6:30 am but beautiful clear skies. Went down to Alliance and caught 2 hy to Grand Island and Interstate 80. Probably did not have 1/2 a dozen cars traveling in my lane in 250-300 miles. If you come from the east, you have to take 2 hy. Rolling sand hills with sweeping curves and some serious trains on the north side of the highway. Trains were probably 200 cars long, counting as best I could.

Hope to see you guys there.

Chester

Its a little early for me to know for sure if I can make it but most probably will.
Last year I left Kansas City on the 31st of Aug. and went across the northern tier of KS on 36 hy and spent the night in St. Francis, KS, almost to CO. Had a big storm that night and got up the next morning, 09/01 and went over to 385, along the eastern edge of CO and headed north towards Hot Springs, SD. Ran into a damn storm starting about Bridgeport, NE. Temperatures were in the upper 30's to lower 40's with rain and winds with gusts probably pushing 40 mph from the north. Miserable damn time. Totally chilled by the time I reached my destination of Oelrichs, SD.

I was on my KLR 650 and it does not have the extra horsepower and aerodynamics for this crap and my fuel economy and performance were knocked down about 12 or so mpg. I would have ran out of fuel but luckily had carried along 2 pint containers of fuel which saved my hind end.

Spent the night there and the next day was cool but clear. Rode up to Rapid City and around the area and went back to Oelrichs. Got up early on the 3rd of Sep and headed home. Temperature was about 30 starting off at 6:30 am but beautiful clear skies. Went down to Alliance and caught 2 hy to Grand Island and Interstate 80. Probably did not have 1/2 a dozen cars traveling in my lane in 250-300 miles. If you come from the east, you have to take 2 hy. Rolling sand hills with sweeping curves and some serious trains on the north side of the highway. Trains were probably 200 cars long, counting as best I could.

Hope to see you guys there.

Chester
Boy, Chester.... you sure know how to have fun. :p

Skip

Reservations Made. Just thought I would let people know that I am arriving on Wednesday the 19th. This way I can have some extra riding and also be their to help Jackson with arrangement if I can. I'm bringing this up so if any want to come a little early and get a little extra riding in with me that would be great.

Talked with the Motel people a bit and should be having information regarding banquet meals within the next two or three weeks as to what the offering should be.

devanator/Mike

[SIZE=18pt]Don't miss the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=36pt]2007[/SIZE]Central FJR Owners' Meeting

[SIZE=24pt] * September 20-23, 2007[/SIZE]

Custer, South Dakota -- The Black Hills
* EDIT - Nov. 24 by Jackson: We had to change the dates from Sept. 13-16 to Sept 20-23. The earlier dates were "locked in" but the motel had a glitch in their reservations system and it turned out that rooms on those dates were not available. Sorry for the confusion. But the good news is that the motel, to make up for it, will now give us both the 1-queen bed or the 2-queen bed rooms at the incredibly low rate of $44.

[SIZE=18pt]WHEN:[/SIZE]

Thursday, Sept. 20

Travel, arrive at Custer

Friday, Sept. 21

Ride through the Black Hills

Saturday, Sept. 22

Ride through the Black Hills

Evening Banquet

Sunday, Sept. 23

Ride and depart for home

[SIZE=18pt]VENUE:[/SIZE]

bavbanr.jpg

On Hwy. 385 0.7 mile north of the intersection of Hwys. 385 & 16

Lat and Long: 43.77467 , 103.60877

The Bavarian Inn has:

--Two swimming pools, one indoor and one outdoor
--On-site bar and restaurant
--Hot Tub
--Tennis court
--Free continental breakfast
--Motorcycle washing area, with water and rags
--Each room has coffee maker, free wireless Internet service, microwave, fridge, & hair dryer
[SIZE=18pt]WHAT TO DO THERE:[/SIZE]

You mean besides getting together with your buddies, kicking tires, telling lies, and enjoying your favorite beverages? Custer is in the center of the Black Hills, which has legendary motorcycle roads. From Custer, an FJR rider can take off in any of four directions on twisty and scenic routes.

North: Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood (gambling), Devils Tower, Sturgis, scenery, and miles of twisty roads.

East: Custer State Park, Badlands National Park, buffalo, scenery, and twisty roads. Badlands Web Cam

South: Wind Cave National Park, buffalo, Hot Springs, Agate Fossil Beds Nat. Monument, scenery, and twisty roads.

West: Jewel Cave National Monument, cave tours, scenery, and twisty roads.

CLICKY for more information about what to see and do in the Black Hills.

Wind Cave NP
Bison.jpg
Crazy Horse
crazyhorse.jpg

Mount Rushmore
MORU.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]ROOM RATES:[/SIZE]

$44; 1 queen bed (indoor entrance) 1-2 people. Only 12 of these are available.

$44; 2 queen beds, 1-2 people (larger room, outdoor entrance, park in front of room)

$71; Deluxe room (larger still, all outdoor entrances, but for some you can park in front of room)

$80; 1 room suite

$98; 2 room suite

$89; Jacuzzi room

$224; 3 bedroom Condo

Send a message to "Jackson" after you make your reservations so we can make adjustments to our room block if needed.

We have negotiated the discounted room rates to be in effect for 7 days before and after CFO, in case you want to extend your visit to the area.

[SIZE=18pt]RESERVATIONS:[/SIZE]

Call: 1-800-657-4312

Tell them you are with the "FJR Owners Group" to get the discounted rates.

By August 15, 2007, make your reservations. After that, our room block will be released.

A credit card will hold your reservation. It will not incur any charges until you check out.

Cancellation policy: no charges for cancellations more than 14 days before check in. After that there will be a 1 night charge.

[SIZE=18pt]WHO:[/SIZE]

Jackson: Venue logistics/liaison, Route Sheets & maps for Friday and Saturday

Devanator: Banquet Arrangements, Shirts and Hats

Door Prizes coordinator: TBA

Photographers: TBA

We hope someone will be willing to beat the bushes and arrange for some cool door prizes. Also, it would be great to have 1-3 people who can take pictures of the various rides, as well as the banquet.

Badlands National Park

BADL.jpg

A serious TWISTY on the "Peter Norbeck National Scenic Byway".

PigTail.jpg

Devils Tower National Monument

DETO_towerweb.jpg

The 20-mile long "Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway" is flanked by towering limestone cliffs along US 14A and cuts through Spearfish Canyon.

SpearfishCyn.jpg

Custer. The red "X" is the location of the Bavarian Inn. (the topography is exaggerated a bit.)

Custer_Google_Earth-500.jpg

The timing is great for me. I am heading for Santa Cruz from Minnesota and will be returning over this time period; so I hope to attend for at least a day on my way back. I presume that it will be easy to find a place to put out my tent. I have never been to a bike meet before and I look forward to visiting with fellow FJR's.

Bill

The timing is great for me. I am heading for Santa Cruz from Minnesota and will be returning over this time period; so I hope to attend for at least a day on my way back. I presume that it will be easy to find a place to put out my tent. I have never been to a bike meet before and I look forward to visiting with fellow FJR's. Bill
When at 2002 Sturgis Rally I stayed at a KOA type campground across the road from the Inn. They also have Kamper Kabins which are very nice if it rains.

Reservation made at the Inn today. Now to plot out a route there and back home. Any count on how many plan to be there? Looking to meet many from the East coast area.

Bruce

[Badlands National Park

BADL.jpg

A serious TWISTY on the "Peter Norbeck National Scenic Byway".

PigTail.jpg

Devils Tower National Monument

DETO_towerweb.jpg

The 20-mile long "Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway" is flanked by towering limestone cliffs along US 14A and cuts through Spearfish Canyon.

SpearfishCyn.jpg
Was doing some reading for camping or whatever on the way there... and...

https://www.sdgfp.info/Parks/General/Annual.htm

https://www.sdgfp.info/Parks/General/Fees.htm

They do have daily fees, tho.... + camping fees....

Not too bad....

but those hotel rates sound really good.

The weekend we are going to be there is a Fall Foliage Walk or some such....

Anybody want to share a room?

Mary

Just a reminder....... be sure and put the Central FJR Owners (CFO) event on your calendar. Devanator and I are planning on making this a really fun gathering in one of the premier destinations in the country.

I did confirm a room at the Bavarian Inn for Don from Wyoming and myself. The room rate they quoted me was higher than posted. For two queens they quoted $49 and not $44 as is listed on the posting. I did not argue over the five dollar difference.

Is there a running head count on the number of folks attending?

I am looking forward to this event and thanks Jackson for organizing things!

Bill

Jackson is working on getting a confirmation set up for some other things with regard to CFO. So we will be getting an accurate count as things progress. I will be posting meals plans quite soon also. Things are shaping up as we speak and should have a lot of fun things planned for everybody. Along with the great riding.

devanator/Mike

Bill -- I'm glad you are coming to CFO. Sorry about the room rate mixup. I will contact the Bavarian Inn and get it straightened out.

UPDATE 4/25/2007

Well, there was a mixup on that one room rate, with 2 people and 2 queen sized beds. The regular rate for that room is $69, but we are getting it for $49. Sorry about the confusion. I made the correction in post #1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a running head count on the number of folks attending?
Bill
So far we have 10 rooms reserved. Some of those rooms have 2 people sharing the room. And, we don't know yet how many are bringing a pillion.

We just started registration. When people register, we'll have a better idea. If you have not registered yet, please go to the REGISTER THREAD and get that taken care of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackson etal,

Unfortunately I must cancel this trip as I must now be in California that weekend for a Memorial Service for an elderly friend that I have known for years. He recently passed away and they are planning a Memorial Service that weekend when all of the family and friends can be there. So, I just contacted the Bavarian Inn and cancelled my reservations.

You guys have fun -- I was looking forward to this trip as that was my only planned trip to the Black Hills this year (I did not go with my local club in June as I planned to be there in September). Oh well!!!

Latest posts