Official SW-FOG 2014 Announcement: 5/29 THU-6/1 SUN

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC00342_zps7459d371.jpg
DSC00340_zps8d68bf3a.jpg
20140530_115534_zpsafef46bd.jpg
20140530_114637_zps6e31f556.jpg
20140530_114626_zps4712b269.jpg
20140530_114622_zpsa8469561.jpg
20140530_112508_zps9e708008.jpg
20140530_085524_zps7056e9c4.jpg
20140530_085458_zps3ed9c2ce.jpg
20140530_085241_zps3cc20e16.jpg
20140530_085058_zpsc0bf75ef.jpg

My greatest joy in life is riding a motorcycle around North America with my wonderful Son Seth, we have been from Hyder, AK to the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia on two wheels (we even rode in New Zealand!) and there is no one I would rather travel with than my Son Seth: Thanks to You My Buddy, Papa BeemerDonS has big plans to ride with you in Australia and Spain in the next few years!

DSCF1152.jpg

Son Seth is at his Mom's house, so I am here with Oso the Lab and Gary the Tabby Cat: It is just too damn quiet here! I wish I could hear HotRodZilla - AJ telling us stories about screwing Armadillos again, just for the grins and giggles ese! Apologies for another Bushmill's Whiskey and Bass Ale Cerveza pic!

DSCF1170.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A big thanks to all that made this ride possible. Had a great time. This is a great group of people. Looking forward to Utah!

Hey Dr. Bob, did you about crap yourself when you rode up on that huge Elk cow?

While headed north on 180 on Sunday towards 12, Jeff, J, Phil, C, Marcus and I ended up behind Dr. Bob and David I think. We were moving along at a good pace. Not fast, not slow. Definitely not over fast as the tar snakes there are slick as it gets. We came around a nice left hander to a short straight to a nice right hander. As with most of 180, the trees and grass cane right up to the edge of the road. Suddenly, the lead bike, Dr. Bob I think was on the brakes. Then I saw her...She was a HUGE elk cow standing on the right side of the road.

We passed slow, and I looked for companions. Thankfully none were out to make life difficult. We didn't see any more until the group headed towards Albuquerque headed into the Very Large Array (VLA). A bunch of doe Antelope were grazing, but were easy to see and not interested in the road.

Someone had a small mishap at an off camber gas stop in reserve, but the sliders did their job very well. Whew!!

Thanks to all who organized this great event I had a great time. Made it home safe to Colorado with Silver streak accompaning me. Petey also was along for a short while. Special thanks to Hot Rod for the great ride on Friday that WAS fun. What a great group of crazy people.

Is anyone planning on posting a Group Photo? I didn't hand off my camera to Don thinking there would be plenty of others posting their copies on the Forum for those wanting a copy could snag.

Official SW-FOG Rally Photos.
Thanks to AJ an Don for herding the cats.

IMG_0960.JPG

The group expressing appreciation to the SW-FOG organizers and others!

IMG_0967.JPG
This post is BUMPED because Big-D is higher than a kite on peyote and can't recall a SW-FOG 2014 Group Photo was already posted. DON'T DO DRUGS!

Hey Dr. Bob, did you about crap yourself when you rode up on that huge Elk cow?
While headed north on 180 on Sunday towards 12, Jeff, J, Phil, C, Marcus and I ended up behind Dr. Bob and David I think. We were moving along at a good pace. Not fast, not slow. Definitely not over fast as the tar snakes there are slick as it gets. We came around a nice left hander to a short straight to a nice right hander. As with most of 180, the trees and grass cane right up to the edge of the road. Suddenly, the lead bike, Dr. Bob I think was on the brakes. Then I saw her...She was a HUGE elk cow standing on the right side of the road.

We passed slow, and I looked for companions. Thankfully none were out to make life difficult. We didn't see any more until the group headed towards Albuquerque headed into the Very Large Array (VLA). A bunch of doe Antelope were grazing, but were easy to see and not interested in the road.

Someone had a small mishap at an off camber gas stop in reserve, but the sliders did their job very well. Whew!!
Yep that was Doc Bob trying to get a date with that pretty little Elk girl. Can't speak to whether he crapped himself but I did notice a somewhat organic odor for the next few miles. Also think I about filled my dance card this trip doin The AZ/NM Tar Snake Boogie. Til next time, Dave

Home safe in Santa Fe on Sunday with a brief detour to the VLA. Back to Hootin' on Monday, straight thru. Back at my desk now....
ohwell.gif

Great time with all! Big thanks to AJ and Don for hearding the cats (again).

Looking forward to Kanab!!!

Here is a Ride Report and Road Photographs from AZ Beemers Club Member David Ashbaugh, Dashbaw is a retired RCMP Mountie and a Canuckistani from Vancouver Island, British Columbia so he could be lying eh Hosers!

This is a travel report for my recent trip to Silver City, New Mexico. As usual, I didn’t stop enough for photos, but there were some incidents worth mentioning. Also, a big thanks to the AZ Beemer and FJR riders that attended SW FOG ’14 and made the rally and the Devil’s Highway Ride very enjoyable.

Day 1: May 26th – Started the trip at 0530 hrs, the usual kickstand up time to catch the ferry off Vancouver Island to Tsawwassen. The inland highway was full of deer and elk, which is normal As I weaved my way down the highway I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, about a four hundred pound black bear sitting on top of a seven-foot fence post. The fence is to keep the deer off the highway and it doesn’t work. I noticed the top of the fence was buckled, so the bear was actually sitting on the fence with his front feet on top of post. It just watched me go by like it was just hanging out and watching the traffic go by, totally unconcerned.

Crossed the border by 1100 hrs and cut through the back twisty roads to Sedro Woolley. Then rode across the North Cascade Highway through Washington Pass. The Memorial weekend traffic was very heavy east to west and it was really hard to enjoy the twisty bits but I tried real hard. Stopped in Omak for the night. 352 miles.

Rainey Pass

Washington Pass

The Decreasing Radius Turn Washington Pass. Some people have been known to wait until a Harley group rides by and then pass them on the decreasing radius. It catches many by surprise. I, of course would not do such a thing.

One of the slide chutes on Washington Pass

The way to the Methow Valley and heat.

Once over the Cascades the weather improves in the Methow Valley. Another deer area before Omak.

Day 2: May 27th – 0645 I was on the rode with light isolated showers. Headed across 150 hwy, which has a small pass and past the Grand Coulee Dam, then on to Wilber, Spokane and Coeur d’Alene. Along the east side of Coeur d’Alene Lake there is a slow speed curvy road the length of the lake. At the south end of the lake a white tail deer stepped on the road and appeared to be looking right at me. I was traveling about 70 mph so I started to brake hard. My path was away from the deer and it looked like I would pass, but at the last moment the deer stepped in front of the bike. I don’t know if I touched the deer, but it jumped about six feet sideways, looked at me in a very indignant way and ran into a field. I didn’t know it but the fun was just beginning.

After the lake I took 3 hwy to St. Maries. As I was riding up the big hill just south of town I met a school bus. We were traveling about 50 mph. At the top of the hill the bus made a left turn in front of me. All I could see was the grille of the bus and then yellow. This was not an emergency braking situation, this was, if I can get my speed down low enough the impact may not be fatal type of situation. Just before impact the yellow wall disappeared and all I could see was oncoming traffic, which was pulling over to give me room. I finally stopped in the middle of the road on the yellow line.

Traffic was streaming past and I must admit I was a little disoriented. The bike had stalled. I got it going and pulled over into the lot where the bus was stopped. The bus was a mini version, thank goodness. If it had been a full sized bus I would have been a bug splat on its side. The senior driving the bus, gave the usual, I didn’t see you! Well you can’t beat on an old lady, unfortunately. The local Sheriff has been updated. At a local gas station the ladies reputation had preceded her. JSNS.

So, I head south on 3 hwy to P1, up over the hump through a bunch of curvy roads and drop down into Orofino on the Lolo Pass road, 12 hwy. A few miles into the Lolo Pass road I stopped for a drink and a snack at the side of the road. Took a photo of the 99 miles of winding road sign and got ready to go. I just started to pull out and realized I had not put in my earplugs. Annoyed, I jammed down the kick stand took off my helmet, fumbled and leaned the bike on the stand. Problem the stand did not go down all the way but the bike and I did. This bike is well protected but the photo will show the edge of the pavement that caught the left bag. Minor scratches.

I removed the luggage, but couldn’t lift the bike as it had fallen next to the pavement, which was quite thick. As I was trying to figure how to engineer a solution, I hear someone say, “Looks like Black Hawk Down.” A young man had stopped and I had been so busy I did not hear his truck. We picked the bike up and after several thanks, I was on my way again.

Ripped through the Lolo Pass. Great ride except there must have been over twenty forest worker trucks on the road. They always slow so you can pass legally. But, I started to watch so I didn’t come around a blind corner and have one stopped or something. The speed limit is 55 mph and a nice pace is around 70 mph. I was coming up to a blind corner, due to trees, but I could see something flickering through the trees across the bend in the river, coming the other way. I thought another forest truck, so I come off the throttle and coasted to the corner. Oh, good afternoon officer, I waved, he waved, I was on the speed limit and I bet he was thinking, the first bike not speeding today. Stopped in Hamilton MT for the night. 525 miles.

Day 3: May 28th – 0620 hrs hit the road. Rode down the Bitterroot River valley on 93 hwy, which curves along the river to the Lost Trails pass. Up and over the pass and then the road follows the Salmon River valley down the other side. This is a great twisty road to ride all the way.

Going up the Lost Trail Pass on the Bitterroot Side

Going down the Salmon River Side of Lost Trail Pass

The road follows the valley the Salmon River Valley.

I usually stop in North Fork for a coffee but today I rode on to Salmon. At the south end of town I pulled into a small Café for a coffee. As I was pulling into the parking area, at a walk speed, a car suddenly backed out in front of me. I didn’t want to swing around him, so I pulled into the spot he just vacated. The driver was looking in his side view mirror and suddenly pulled forward again. Sh-t! His bumper touched my engine protection bar and guess where I was? This time I’m on the other side. The bars and bag protectors did their job, no damage. The driver was from Seattle and he told me he was worried about a car behind him bumping into him so he pulled forward without looking. Anyway, we had the bike up in no time and I had my coffee.

Now I’m starting to think, either I am getting too old for this stuff, or this bike is jinxed. This is my first trip on this bike. I bought it last spring and then just stored it until this year. There are quirks to the RTs, such as the kickstand, but I have put over 100,000 miles on my ’05 RT so I shouldn’t be having a problem, although I did ride the K1300GT for a year straight. The comment of the guy from the first fall over on the Lolo pass sort came back, Black Hawk down. My wife likes me to name my bikes so she knows which one I am talking about. For example, this bike was described as the one with the blue box as I put the top box from the K1300GT, which is blue, on the back for this trip. Maybe Black Hawk will be the new name. Hopefully, the down stuff will cease. Anyway, I rode the slab through Salt Lake City and cut over to Price UT where I stopped for the night. 590 miles.

Day 4: May 29th – On the road by 0530 (Pacific time) through Moab and Monticello. At Monticello I turned onto 491 to see what the real Devil’s Highway looks like now. I see your tax dollars have been spent well. Followed 491 through Shiprock, Cortez and then Gallup. I then ran the slab back to 191, turned south and took 180 into Silver City NM. My first stops were fuel and then beer, after which I meet the guys at the Econolodge. Beer, food, friends etc. 636 miles.

Day 5: May 30th – Ran the Devil’s Highway with the group. Great ride with lots of corners. My rear tire was prematurely wearing which is normal for a Metzler. The centre seems to burn away. I now use 190 tires on all my touring bikes, which puts more rubber on the road at the contact patch. The used tire I would be putting on the bike the following day, to get home, was still in good shape after more than 3000 loaded interstate miles. Tomorrow, everyone was going to do the tourist thing so I decided I would ride to Yuma and swap rear wheels/tires with my ’05 RT for the trip home. I went to bed early. Today was sort of a rest day at 302 miles.

At a stop on the Devil's Highway, the leaders of the pack.

Best bikes in the group.

Another angle.

Day 6: May 31st – 0230 hrs PT I was on the road headed to Yuma. As the temp was going to be around 107 F, I decided to ride at a cooler time. Arrived in Yuma at 0910 hrs with the temp around 100 F. Swapped the rear wheels and decided to wait out the heat instead of running for the cooler temps of the Tecate Divide in California as I had planned. Had a nap, enjoyed a wonderful fish dish from Sardina and washed same down with beer. Went to bed at the normal time. 437 miles.

Day 7: June 1st – 0230 hrs PT started the bike to head out. Didn’t sound right so I checked and found that I had not tightened the muffler clamp. Just a ten minute job and then I hit the road. I had planned to ride 397 hwy up through Burns and John Day, via the Tecate Divide, but as I will be riding down that way for the Sparks/Reno ride in July I decided to just run north out of the heat. Now my normal route home from Yuma is up 95 to Las Vegas, 93 and 318 to Ely and 93 to Twin Falls MT. If I’m in a hurry I then slab to Seattle. If not I take whatever curvy road I can find. This trip I ran straight north for about 17 hours and stopped at about 2000 hrs for the night at Pendleton OR. Black Hawk didn’t fall over once. 1138 miles.

Day 8: June 2nd – 0630 hrs PT hit the slab for the border crossing Blaine WA. Stopped for the usual bottle of whatever at the duty free and arrived at the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal at about 1230 hrs. The next ferry was at 3:15 PM. The ferry trip is about two hours and the ride home is about one and one half hours. Pulled into the driveway at about 1845 hours. Real food and a beer were waiting. 510 miles.

Its hard to believe that after shooting millions of frames of film in my career, that this is the best I can do. I just hate to stop to photo things. Anyway, this was a great trip with hundreds of corners and that was the first thing I said to my wife when I walked out of the garage. Great trip! Total mileage was around 4500 miles. Fuel burned- who cares!

David

Back home after fighting crosswinds from the south and going from 44 degrees to 104 degrees, only to find crosswinds from the north and 64 degrees this morning. Proof Kansas can suck and blow at the same time. Extended the ride by going north to Natural Bridges and a night in Blanding UT and Arches NP before taking back roads to Montrose CO. Next day Hwy 50 most of the way home.

Had a great time with mostly tailwinds and fair weather, and good company. 4,000 miles and 9 days is a great way to forget another birthday happened.

I made it home about 1:30 this afternoon. After SW-FOG I headed east to Las Cruces to visit my daughter and her family for a few days. It was stupid hot there with highs from 104-107. Stopped in Winslow last night and got an early start this morning to beat the heat. Luckily there wasn't much today. 51 when I left Winslow. Hottest I saw was 86 in Mt. Carmel Jct. A cool 64 as I crested Mt. Cedar and headed down to Cedar City which was a comfy 81.

The local hwy department had thoughtfully laid fresh tar snakes on this side of the mountain to welcome me home.

I really enjoyed meeting all the SW-FOGgers and the great rides.

Looking forward to next year.

John

I made it home. No deer strike this year. Good ride up thru CO, WY, MT and west thru MT, ID, WA and OR. Did a total of 6,000 miles and I had a great time at the event. Good rides and great meeting and talking to both old friends and new ones. See you all next year. Pictures of my ride will be on Flickr. Some pics are already there, and I will be loading others soon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenhattan/sets/72157644534784838/