Oil bird bath under oil filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
During each oil/filter change on my FJR I wonder why that oil catch tube is there making a mess. I always try to get all the oil out so it doesn't continue to dribble onto the rubber grommet on the fairing.

Maybe there's a purpose for the vertical rectangular tube but I don't see its function except to help make a mess.

During each oil/filter change on my FJR I wonder why that oil catch tube is there making a mess. I always try to get all the oil out so it doesn't continue to dribble onto the rubber grommet on the fairing.
Maybe there's a purpose for the vertical rectangular tube but I don't see its function except to help make a mess.
I guess you could try putting a smidge-o-tape over it. Masking tape maybe...

I think it is only there to annoy you. Not us, just you, in particular. Every time you change your oil and get angry at it, an engineer looks up from his work, and says "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen..." and then he looks in your general direction and says "Yes...Let the hate flow through you..."

I noticed that too.

I'm pretty sure it's purpose is to core out excess material in the casting down to the threaded boss where the fairing attaches. It's just to help thin the wall thickness in that area.

Seal it up with a little silicone if it bothers ya... :thumbsup: