Oil filter socket wrench size

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
as I expected the oil filter is on sooooo tight on my new 2015 that I cannot budge it

I want to buy one of those socket cup wrenches to get it off

Does anyone know what size is comparable with the size of the FJR filter?

I gave up on the socket type of filter wrench and bought one of these instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1437257759&sr=1-1

Slip it over the top of the filter and the more forrce you apply to the wrench the tighter it grips. They come in different sizes but I think this is the correct one. I have never had it fail to loosen a tight filter. It will not tighten a filter but there isn't any need to tighten the filter with a wrench..

I gave up on the socket type of filter wrench and bought one of these instead.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1437257759&sr=1-1

Slip it over the top of the filter and the more forrce you apply to the wrench the tighter it grips. They come in different sizes but I think this is the correct one. I have never had it fail to loosen a tight filter. It will not tighten a filter but there isn't any need to tighten the filter with a wrench..
That's what I have, Dennis. Except it's the three pronged one. Works great. Gave up on the socket type a long time ago.

forget it, get a pair or borrow a pair of 460 channelocks and get it off. THEN when you put the new one on give it a hand job as hard as you can with hand only.

when you need to change the filter give it a reverse hand job, repeat as needed and forget the wrench. worked for me for 65k miles.

^^^^ echoing a big pair of Channel Locks and hand tite for future installation(s). No problems for me in many, many FJR miles.

--G

Save yourself some money. Knock a screwdriver through it, use that to start to unscrew it. Don't over tighten the new one.

But then, I'm a cheap-skate.

Last edited by a moderator:
No oil filter ever failed to yield to a pair of Channel Locks. Who cares if you bend it up? Were you going to reuse it? Just don't bother tightening the new one down with the CLs. ;) Mcatrophy's way also works, but a tad messier.

Get a strap wrench; it's good for other stuff around the garage as well. (the other ideas are all good and will work also)

Buy a shake weight and work on your grip.
no.gif

Puncture the bottom of the filter with a Phillips screw driver to let the oil drain out. After oil is drained, drive it further into the filter and un-screw it. This method will eliminate the mess of oil running down the side of the case.

forget it, get a pair or borrow a pair of 460 channelocks and get it off. THEN when you put the new one on give it a hand job as hard as you can with hand only.
when you need to change the filter give it a reverse hand job, repeat as needed and forget the wrench. worked for me for 65k miles.
I went with the 480's but yeah, channelock pliers is the easiest I think. 480's are big enough to squish the brake calipers on my pickup so it's not like I really wasted the extra money.

I have a socket from Autozone that says size F.

I don't use it to remove the old filter. I have other tools that work better for that. I slip it on the end of the new one to give me a better grip when hand tightening.

Maybe it's just my old hands but I have a tough time getting my fingers around the shorter filters to tighten them.

I have a socket from Autozone that says size F.I don't use it to remove the old filter. I have other tools that work better for that. I slip it on the end of the new one to give me a better grip when hand tightening.

Maybe it's just my old hands but I have a tough time getting my fingers around the shorter filters to tighten them.
I can't get my fingers in there to get a grip. But my hands are old and arthritic too.