Oil filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a cap-type socket wrench tool, and it does not fit the oil filter tight enough to work, clamp a 2x4 to the workbench, with the 2" side upward.. Put one of the socket flats directly onto the end of the board, and dent the one flat inward with one good shot from a ball-pien hammer. Repeat on each wrench flat, one by one, until the cap socket fits your oil filter properly.

Have yet to find a filter that this won't get off. The filters on my boat seem to weld themselves on
https://www.harborfreight.com/unive...VA5R64YQXi5CWqZC45b8dR_Z2aM2c6ZkaAsjPEALw_wcB

Like Ross, I just don't have have the grip strength anymore to trust "hand tight." I install the filter until the gasket just touches then tighten 3/4 turn. Sometimes I can manage that by hand, and other times I have to use a tool like a cap wrench I hate the cap wrench for removal, though because the filter gets stuck so tight in it I sometimes have to use a vice and big pliars to get it back out. I bought a tool like Jeep posted above for removal, and the harder you turn counterclockwise the harder it grips. It's worked well the few times I've used it. And it'll let go of the filter without resorting to violence :)

If you have a socket and a torque wrench, 12 lb-ft is the correct torque. Otherwise, 3/4 of a turn after the filter starts to seat will get you close. I already have the torque wrench out during oil changes to do the drain plug, so why not use it?

I’ve tried that band tool, it just slides as I try and spin it
Some do..if they are too large like the one from autozone made for larger car filters...
the one I listed is for motorcycles..
once I smashed a car filter into a small oval but it came off with only a little oil leaking where cracks occurred

Some do..if they are too large like the one from autozone made for larger car filters...
the one I listed is for motorcycles..
once I smashed a car filter into a small oval but it came off with only a little oil leaking where cracks occurred
I've had metal ones and rubber ones and they work fine for the filters that want to come off. They tend to take too much room to operate and don't work on a lot of vehicles where your only clear shot is to the end of the filter. My crash bars would keep you from using a strap wrench easily. Cap wrenches are a non starter - too many different sizes needed for the ever changing fleet of stuff with oil filters.

Last edited:
Buy the Yamaha filter socket, which is all metal and fits very tight. Never had a problem removing the filter. More of a problem getting it off the filter. It happened to be the third one I bought because the first two would slip as in strip out the hex end of the filter.

I have an oil filter that does not want to come off. I managed to dent it up pretty good trying to remove it.

It doesn’t leak yet but I want it off. Any special tools or homemade tools I should try?

Any suggestions are welcome
UPDATE!!!!

I appreciate all the input. I ended up using some oil filter wrench from Harbor Freight that someone here suggested. I have put a new filter on with a quarter turn after hand tightening but after I smeared some oil on the O ring.

Thanks again!

Used this trick on Harley’s as the filters can be hard to get to and the engine heat can weld filter to engine, Use a socket type oil filter tool in size closest to oil filter diameter. Drill 2 holes on each side of top of socket then take two sheet metal screws and screw them into filter through the holes drilled in top of socket. This will hold filter tightly within socket and allow you the torque to spin it off.
Too much work 🤣

Every spin on oil filter made come with directions, before install smear oil on gasket. I have correct filter socket and only need 3/8” ratchet. Using 1/2” ratchet is never needed. Safe motoring…

Last edited:
Yeah, and even if you do that and tighten the prescribed way - sometimes they feel like you tightened to 100ft lbs when you go to take them off ;)

I used to have an RV with a Ford V10, and I'd oil and tighten that filter 3/4 turn after the gasket touched. The last time I removed it I had to put a cheater bar on the wrench and anchor myself against the front tire to get it off. I bet I did put 100 lb-ft on it before it moved. :)

I've got an old beam style torque wrench. If I think about it next time I'll try to see what it takes to get one off, but that'll be months away; I just changed it.