Oil oozing from oil filler cap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The o-ring on the cap appears fine but it oozes a little oil over time. It doesn't extend out much/any beyond the hard plastic outer ring of the cap. Would be nice if the o-ring cross section was slightly bigger to allow it to press firmly against the engine before the outer ring touched down. Maybe the o-ring cross section has shrunk a bit from its many years of hot oil contact.

Time for a new oem o-ring or possibly a larger aftermarket one? There's got to be a place that sells one with just a slightly thicker material with the same diameter.

My oil filler o ring decided to ooze last summer while I was doing my Great Lakes Gold ride. Kinda scared me at one gas stop until I figgered out what was going on. I tried a larger o ring with little luck and then just stacked two o rings on top of each other and that seems to work. May not be the best solution, but no oil ooze since then.

Yep, noticed leakage on an 06 - o-ring hard, no longer sealing. Wrecked 05 engine has similar hard o-ring. Should be easy to replace.

Pay a visit to your local hydraulic hose / repair shop and source a new o-ring. They'll be able to match it up and get you sealed up again! ;)

--G

Last edited by a moderator: