Ok, do you "fast shift" or "slow shift"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work more on technique than speed.

I think that answers both questions.

But seriously folks .....

I like to shift quickly but not at the expense of smoothness. If I can make the bike sound like it's got an automatic transmission, I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sometimes shift fast, sometimes slow, I've even been known to miss shifts. That one ain't good when up near the rev limiter.

Well, here's looking into things deeper than they should be. Fridays
smile.png

AR-130629809.jpg

Three pumps and a quiver, then a cigarette
I believe the above quoted photograph shows exactly that, (excepting the cigarette) from right to left (Chinese style).

Three well frothed beers (with good head) and then some sort of insipid beer like ejaculate on the far left.

Those Hispanic Tampa girls do know how to clip a good cigar... so I hear.

You're supposed to shift gears on these things?
unsure.png

Seriously, my feej seems to shift nicely if the action is smooth and decisive. Also I pre-load the shift lever slightly for up-shifts, blip the throttle slightly for down

The redline's at 8K, so I save my clutch and only shift once -- although I have to shift again to get to 3rd for freeway speeds.

Seriously, shifting 'technique' IS important from 1st to 2nd, especially. Just read some of the posts of those whose transmission had to be fixed... No small job, costing big $$$ if one runs afoul of the 'shifting gods'.. Me, I haven't figured it out exactly, but I go easy on first, preferring to upshift to 2nd ASAP and smoothly...and gently. But that's just me.
not_i.gif

ULEWZ, you bastard. You beat me to it. Lol.

Just shift however makes you happy. If your shifting, that means your riding. Go shift!!

Depends. If I've been eating too much cheese, then I'm a slow $hitter. Too much fiber, then I'm a fast $hitter. Hope that helps.

The redline's at 8K, so I save my clutch and only shift once -- although I have shift again to get to 3rd for freeway speeds.
Sounds like you need to return your defective FJR. Redline should be at 9k, and 2nd gear should get you to just about 90mph. No need for 3rd on the freeway!

I like the challenge of always trying to get quick and seamless shifts, with just a quick partial squeeze of the clutch. Almost a clutchless shift, but just enough use of the clutch to smooth the transition.

During full throttle acceleration, who needs a clutch?

Shifting??? I start my bike in gear, release the clutch and go. When I need to stop, I pull the clutch. Depending on highway selection, I just select the gear and keep it there. I expect my clutch and dogs will last forever. These FJR's have amazing HP and RPM limits. Oh crap, it's now 12:30AM Saturday on the east!!

I kinda listen to the "Motor", If it's purring, I might shift gears, or maybe go into overdrive.

Ya have to be attentive to the needs of your "Motor"

Damn it Wheaton, what're you doing changing your avatar? Quit messin' with us!

As for shifting: I aim for smooth (my wife likes it smooth!), and as long as it's smooth, the quicker the better.