Old Dominion FJR Riders Group

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

VIR is too far for me. Although I really, really want to get some track time.

I have not taken Total Control but they use the same Range as the MSF class that I teach. It looks really intriguing. I have watched some classes and I would love to take the class.

Tim

be very carefull Tim, that last post put you at over 50 posts!!!! :eek:

you keep this up and you might be accused of post whoring ;)

Seriously though, I'd love to sign up for the Total Control class- :dribble: --just have to figure out when to go :unsure:

I emailed and left a voice msg for Tracy, no reply yet. The dates shown on the Community College website are 1 and 8 Apr and 6 and 13 May. I've seen folks post about later classes so I know there are classes in Jun/Jul. Personally, I'd prefer the 13 May class where there's a better chance for decent weather (not too hot!). I'll give the college a call today and hopefully will hear back from Tracy.

Section Date of Class Day Time Location Instructor

8284 4/1/06 Saturday 8am - 5pm FCC/B209 TBA

8285 4/8/06 Saturday 8am - 5pm FCC/B209 TBA

8286 5/6/06 Saturday 8am - 5pm FCC/CTC TBA

8284 5/13/06 Saturday 8am - 5pm FCC/B209 TBA

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked with Tracy Martin last night. The next class (Total Control) is 8 Apr and he only has 3 folks so far. Personally, I'd prefer a May class and I "think" he said May was canceled (emailed him on that, expecting a reply). He forwarded the Total Control web site which is: www.totalcontroltraining.net .

You have to pay the school the $295 (and if you're outside Frederick cnty another $5 and outside MD another $10). Tracy will write a $50 check back to you at the class - if your riding an FJR that is. Looking at the site you do need the "usual" gear (+ trou as I recall) but you don't have to do anything special to your bike. He said because the speeds are so low (~30 or below) he usually has folks take ~3 lbs out of their tires before riding.

He also said they did an all FJR class out in CA (BTW, he as an 05 FJR). Also said he wrote the suspension chapter in the Total Control Book and that's him in the HD pictures!

Will let ya'll know about May.

May class is full. The next classes after the May 6th date are: June 10 and 24, July 8 and 15, Aug 5 and 12. Hope you can make one of the dates. I'm going to go ahead and sign up for the 8 Apr class - anyone else interested??

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim -- can't make the 4/8 date (in Palm Spring playing golf with my west coast brother) -- if you do go through it please post your thoughts about the experience. I'm interested, and if you think is worthwhile, might sign up for one of the later classes. Bit of a drive for me (Virginia Beach) but do believe it would be worth it. Just finished the book, and in the middle of reading another.

Think you have a daughter at JMU? I do as well - a sophomore.

Got up to 57 here today - left work at 4pm and got a 40 minute ride in! :D Jay

Well, as things work out, looks like I'll take the 10 Jun class. Yup, daughter is also a sophmore at JMU. I may ride out there this Saturday and have lunch with her. I went to the school site today and downloaded the application, just have to wait for them to post the class #. Hope you can make it!

Hey Jim - In the event you are interested I have a course set up on the parking lot at school which is identical to the one you'll see in the class (copied dimensions, etc. from the book). After I took the class I figured it would be good to practice once a month or so. All I need to do now is get my blower out there to get all the gravel and crap clear. I also set up a place to practice emergency stops. If you have a gas blower we could clear out the course pretty fast and then practice on thecourse. I have all the cones and the marks are still there. I usually practice weekend mornings.

Dennis - thanks for the offer. Won't be home this weekend, visiting Dad in Phila and might be headed west the weekend after that. I signed up and got another FJR retired Marine to sign up for the 10 Jun class - really looking forward to it.

I will take you up on your offer - will get in touch soon.