Ongoing Fork Issues 04'

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codetrap

Reaction score
The Backstory.. about 6 years ago I hit a 4x4 post that fell off the back of a truck in front of me on the highway.. didn't have a chance to react but I got lucky, I guess. Almost bucked me off and it dented the rim pretty good. Rim is dealt with. Since then, I've had fork leaking issues.. first time was a gusher, new seals and new brakes. Second time wasn't quite a gusher and I caught it before it contaminated the brakes. Third set of seals ran okay for a season and all seemed well.. but for the past 3 years it's been slowly oozing fork oil. Sealmate helps.. but I've had to take to keeping a cloth on me because they ooze every ride. I'm now at the point where I'm pretty sure they're low on oil and I need to address this permanently. As an aside.. the bike won't track straight with no hands. It always seems to tilt to the right a very very little bit. Otherwise, she rides fine.

So, would replacing the inner tubes help with this? I was thinking springs too since I'm in the 200lb+ range.. anything else I should be looking at ordering before I tear these things apart and giv'er? Tubes, springs, seals,

I would agree with @Whooshka about the bent fork tube diagnosis.
Replace inner fork tubes, seals, and bushings (slides). Use OEM seals and parts.
I had a set of Hyperpro progressive springs in my '07 which were an improvement over stock. I have a Traxxion Dynamics AK20 setup on my 2011.

You might be surprised on the oil level. When leaking, a very small amount of fork oil goes a long way.

Are the forks bent OR/ AND are the forks twisted in the yokes ?

I'd undo all the yokes and make sure that both legs are parallel before retightening.
Check manual for hows to etc.
Best of luck
John🇬🇧

Are the forks bent OR/ AND are the forks twisted in the yokes ?

I'd undo all the yokes and make sure that both legs are parallel before retightening.
Check manual for hows to etc.
Best of luck
John🇬🇧
Did you check legs are parallel ?
Mine weren't and bike pulled to left and seals blew on one side.

It's not rocket science or brain surgery.
A set of allan keys, two small pieces of straight wood taped across top and bottom of legs.
If when looking down they are not parallel, then undo allen headed bolts slightly on sides of yokes and twist handlebars to realign.
Pinch up bolts wilth allen key and test by pumping up and down hard.
Let me know.... 👍