Orange Threadlocker?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Is this a solution in search of a problem?  Or will it be the new "right way" to do things?

(I sometimes wonder if the blue is enough)  I don't think I would use it on small fasteners but might be better for a high vibration environment.

https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds/permatex-high-strength-removable-orange-threadlocker/

Orange-Threadlocker.jpeg

Huh! I can think of a couple places I could use that. Of course, I'll probably have to wait for the blue thread locker to fail. BUT, if it does, I'd definitely try this before going to red!

This would be good for places that aren't high heat tolerable (needed sometimes for removal of 'red') but still want extra retention strength.

This would be good for places that aren't high heat tolerable (needed sometimes for removal of 'red') but still want extra retention strength.
Or even things that don't need to be removed often but might at some point.  i.e. brake rotor bolts.  Or things that may be subject to more vibration.  I wouldn't use it on any very small fasteners - too likely to strip heads when trying to remove.  Blue gel stuff is usually enough.

Note:  I saw another product I wasn't aware of on the site.  "Medium/high strength threadlocker for general-purpose applications. Especially well-suited for 1/4″ to 3/4″ (6mm to 20mm) fasteners that have a slight oil film."

24027.jpg

I have used the orange stuff on my '57 Chevy truck and it works well.  I use it in lieu of the red so that I don't have to fight to get the bolt out.