Orlando, FL - what's to do besides the Disney stuff?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twas a damn fine thread, thanks Guys! It got me off of my fat duff and researching this trip for Son Seth(13) and Papa Chuy.

What I did was book a flight and car through Expedia.com for Seth and I flying to/from Phoenix-Orlando for Sunday, March 21 through Saturday March 27. I used my Best Western Gold Club Members Card to book a hotel in Kissimmee, Florida. Hwy-4.

Game plan's now Disney World on Monday-Tuesday for sure. If DaddyDon gets sick of "Magic Kingdom", then it's: Gatorland, Airboat Tour, Universal Studios, Kissimmee Air Museum, Orlando Science Center and Ripley's Orlando. Big thanks to Patriot!

Last edited by a moderator:
You might find that your son, Seth (13) finds the Magic Kingdom a little "Kiddie" although there are some rides like Space Mountain that are exciting many of the attrctions are geared toward younger children. A Universal executive once told me "You enjoy Disney through watching your child. You enjoy Universal Studios with your child"

Thanksgiving is a very busy weekend at the parks along with huge crowds it is when the Christmas Parades get started, expect some long waiting lines.

My wife and I went to Gatorland last week for about 4 hours, we had a blast. They sell hot dogs and you can feed the gators pretty much all over the park.

Universal Studios has two parks with seperate admission fees, although they do sell combination tickets.

Orlando Science Center is always worthwhile.

The parks will probably be all day adventures, the other attractions are half-day activities.

PM me if you have any questions I'll do my best to help.

Rick

:clapping: We are going over Thanksgiving week and while I don't have any chittlins, there is a 6 year old and a 11 year old + a couple parents obviously gung ho on the Disney stuff. I'll do Disney for a couple days and then the wife an' I will do some 'other things'. I'm thinking Cocoa Beach, maybe golf, might even drive up to Daytona and then up to St Augustine.

You mention going over Thanksgiving and Daytona; be advised there is the Turkey Rod Run at the speedway in Daytona that weekend - actually Thursday through Sunday. Fri-Sat are the big days. I'll be up there all four days/have a swap meet space trying to thin the garage down some. No FJR parts (I'm hoarding those!), mainly Ford, AMC, and HD parts. My friends mainly have Cheby parts.

Here's the link: https://www.turkeyrun.com/Turkey_Run_Home.html

I'll be in Yellow (main section) 34 (I think is the row#) spaces 786-789. A friend from work got 4 spaces; I'm in one of those; we split them up between several of us.

Some bikes there, mainly HD's, but primarily a Hot Rod/Musclecar event. Easy to spend the whole day there; best advice is to get there early, esp. on the big days. Lots to see between the swap meet, car corral, and show cars. You "can't" really see it all in one day - I probably will only see my space...

Do what I did. Just hand all your credit cards to the guys at Richard Petty Driving Experience and when they are tapped out after a few days, they will tell you. You can leave with the biggest shit eating grin after driving many, many laps on the tri oval. I loved it. Oh, and lots of golf in Florida.

zenwhipper: Please help out your old Chandler - Arizona buddy, BeemerDonS! My Son Seth (13) is on his quarter break from sixth grade of Galveston Elementary School from Saturday, March 13 through Monday, March 29. I want to take him to Orlando Disney World for a week. If you don't mind sharing the info, any advice would be appreciated by Stanley Boys.
If it's more convenient to send me e-mails, please use [email protected] The Disney World Website was Total Overload!
I'm glad the "Orlando" in the post heading caught my attention.

Goddammitt Don, if you're here in CenFla in March, we must, MUST get together and toss back a couple. MUST!!

Don't forget when the time approaches.

'Howie

"..little girls dream sequence with high divers, gay costumes, parrots flying aroun.." I just bet RadioHowie has a season pass!

Ermmmmmmmmmm.... :fuck: you and :fuck: what I wrote a coupla minutes ago. :blum:
Good Early Morning Howie, Seth and I are up at o'dark-thirty to get out of Phoenix to head to Orange, CA; to see the family.

Twas all over the radio, yesterday's PM traffic on I-10 was snarled heading west, so decided to attempt it way early this AM.

FLORIDA: I went ahead and booked it all yesterday; and we are basically locked down at "The Mouse House" all week long.

I had this brilliant idea I could do a half-dozen various Florida activities all in a weeks time: Wrong, and I rebooked my trip!

I went back to Expedia and changed our plans to let son Seth (13) enjoy HIS Spring Break HIS WAY! I went with Walt Disney World for the entire eight days and seven nights. We touch down at MCO at 2:36 pm on Flight 418 on 3/13 and fly back to PHX on Flight 1624 on 3/20 at 5:15pm. We are staying at the Pop Century Resort next to the Caribbean Beach.

We're using Disney Transportation for everything, with no rental car at all. My cell is 480-440-4666 and I'll PM you on 3/10!

Do what I did. Just hand all your credit cards to the guys at Richard Petty Driving Experience and when they are tapped out after a few days, they will tell you. You can leave with the biggest shit eating grin after driving many, many laps on the tri oval. I loved it. Oh, and lots of golf in Florida.
ah yes, my wallet is still throbbing from June 2001 when I drove both Disney (top speed 130) and Daytona's high banks (top speed 160). Quite a thrill and highly recommended.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mholiver/sets...57617200376556/

You might be able to tell I'm a Tony Stewart as I drove a Home Depot #20 by choice

https://www.1800bepetty.com/home.aspx

Vroom Vroom,

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
My cell is 480-440-4666 and I'll PM you on 3/10!
3 1/2 months away....think 2 old farts will even remember? :lol2:

Can't wait to meet ya!

BTW, how-in-hell does an old fossil like you have a 13 year old son? Did ya find a woman capable of breeding passed out somewhere? :rofl:

'Howie

Just back. Did the Disney parks each and every day. It was great, but I did get a bit burned out by the lines and crowds. Sort of needed a vacation from my vacation as they say. One thing for sure... do the Richard Petty Driving Experience!!! :good: I could here them cars movin' around the track each day. The track is right by the Magic Kingdom parking lot. I did not have the funds to do this... but next time we go that will be priority!! In general Orlando is great and there is a ton of stuff to do that is non Disney. I mean tons o' stuff!

Scott

Just back. Did the Disney parks each and every day. It was great, but I did get a bit burned out by the lines and crowds. Sort of needed a vacation from my vacation as they say. One thing for sure... do the Richard Petty Driving Experience!!! :good: I could here them cars movin' around the track each day. The track is right by the Magic Kingdom parking lot. I did not have the funds to do this... but next time we go that will be priority!! In general Orlando is great and there is a ton of stuff to do that is non Disney. I mean tons o' stuff!
Scott
Glad you enjoyed your time in our neck of the words. Thanksgiving week is very busy around these parts. First 2 weeks of December, end of August, September are not quite so crowded, that being said most of Disney is busy year round, if you get off property you find other things that are not so well attended.

Ya'll come back now, y'hear?