Out Smarting Mother Nature

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will admit that up to maybe 100, the air helped. It felt better having air blowing on me. At those temps, the mesh is your best bet. Maybe even add a set of Bakers like the ones pictured below. When I headed out to the desert southwest last summer, I figured my Baker air wings would suffice. They work great along with my mesh jacket for temps under 100 or so.

CIMG0741.jpg

However, above that temperature, things change. Above maybe 115 or so, I'm thinking that you don't want ANY air hitting you. Full coverage from head to toe will keep you cooler, believe it or not. At those higher desert temps, I turned the wings out so they blocked the air from hitting me directly. Nice thing about them is that they're adjustable. Zilla was right above, 120 degree desert air feels like a hair dryer pointed at cha. Mesh is a bad idea in REALLY high temps.

One thing I have learned that makes a really huge difference when it's really hot is my Veskimo.

vesk3.jpg

Being that it's mesh, it works well under my mesh jacket. It isn't heavy or insulating like soaker vests, so I can wear it all day, even when I'm not actually using it at lower temps. But when it gets good and hot, all I gotta do is hit the switch and OH YEAH
smile.png
There's nothing like that ice water.. Oddly enough, it works even better when I put it under my unvented jacket. The jacket's insulation keeps the cold in. I've found that with a great deal of air blowing directly on the veskimo, it doesn't work as well as it does with a layer of insulation over top of it. Too bad I didn't take it with me when I headed out west to travel through the desert. BIG MISTAKE. But that's another story.

Hope that helps?

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
This ride should be no problem for me since I will be riding at high elevations the whole trip. Starting In Prescott, AZ, along the Mogollon Rim on Hwy 260 the entire way until I drop down a short distance toward Silver City on Hwy 180. I will be wearing my breathable kevlar Motoports, wearing (when needed) cool vest and sipping from the camelbak. The sheepskin buttpad will provide the needed relief too (AJ's favorite).

The entire time enjoying the twisties and sweepers. No straight roads for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This ride should be no problem for me since I will be riding at high elevations the whole trip. Starting In Prescott, AZ, along the Mogollon Rim on Hwy 260 the entire way until I drop down a short distance toward Silver City on Hwy 180. I will be wearing my breathable kevlar Motoports, wearing (when needed) cool vest and sipping from the camelbak. The sheepskin buttpad will provide the needed relief too (AJ's favorite).The entire time enjoying the twisties and sweepers. No straights for me.
Hmm... :lol:

This ride should be no problem for me since I will be riding at high elevations the whole trip. Starting In Prescott, AZ, along the Mogollon Rim on Hwy 260 the entire way until I drop down a short distance toward Silver City on Hwy 180. I will be wearing my breathable kevlar Motoports, wearing (when needed) cool vest and sipping from the camelbak. The sheepskin buttpad will provide the needed relief too (AJ's favorite).
The entire time enjoying the twisties and sweepers. No straights for me.
Hmm...
laugh.png
You guys are a butt-crackup.

The entire time enjoying the twisties and sweepers. No straights for me.
Hmm...
laugh.png
You guys are a butt-crackup.
Suddenly I don't feel so bad about not being able to attend this meet.

You should feel bad Airboss. There are always a couple of clowns at these meets. The rest of us are riding, drinking and bullshitting. We leave the grab ass to the typical weirdos.

That was a big rant he posted.I figger he's jus tryin to keep out the rif raf.

I get it.....

He probably screwed hisself for future employment with the AZ tourism company tho....

:)
keep out the rifraf, i tried but HRZ is still going and Bust is still keeping tabs on whats going on.

You should feel bad Airboss. There are always a couple of clowns at these meets. The rest of us are riding, drinking and bullshitting. We leave the grab ass to the typical weirdos.
Yo Karl, in this photograph I know you can identify the weirdo on the left, the Sheep in the middle and I will bet you can guess who the weirdo on the right is!

[img=[URL="https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/beemerdons/May%202014/Dsc01045.jpg%5D"]https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/beemerdons/May%202014/Dsc01045.jpg][/URL]
WTF?

Is that a southwest ménage à trois?

A mutton sandwich?

:)
Russ it is a SkooterG-Dolly-HotRodZilla Lamb Melt! jes' sayin' and nuff said!
These three, including the stuffed sheep Are the sane ones, the rest of the attendees are the fruitcakes.