Outdoor cover needed for this summer, recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisz

Reaction score
Hi all,

It appears that this riding season I will be keeping the bike outside the garage (on my driveway between cars), hence my need for a good bike cover. I'm requesting from you fine folks some recommendations on what is reasonable to purchase for my '13 model that has the touring shield and a Givi V47 top case. I've looked at a few websites but am a little concerned about the sizing, hence my inquiry to you: the best and brightest, what has worked for you.

Or perhaps someone already has a cover they are interested in selling that would fit and is water resistant, however the shipping would be to Ontario Canada (N1T 1M2).

Thanks in advance.

Chris...

If you're talking about "permanent" outdoor storage ... I think you're also talking about a lot of money.

Had an outdoor cover for my 2001 Audi TT convertible. Cost over $250. Lasted about two months, and didn't save the canvas top from mildew.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're talking about "permanent" outdoor storage ... I think you're also talking about a lot of money.
I'm only going to be using it during the summer riding season (April - November) as I have winter indoor storage available.

I have been happy with princess auto's xl cover for 6 years inside... I got it for about $25 on sale. I have a lip on my shield and a top box and it fits great.

I've had mine outside during the summer under a Nelson-Rigg Defender for 5 years and been very happy. The XX-Large size fits with large shield and top box.

Dowco Guardian Weatherall+ XL has given me yrs of good service. And when the first one failed, (5+yrs of yr round outdoor storage) Dowco was easy to deal with when I asked for a warranty replacement sent to Canada.I think I pd $10 for shipping.

I dont leave my top case on the bike, so XL was the right size for me, the cover is available in XXL and XXXL sizes.

It is a heavy duty piece, and kind of a pain to store. I hang it over two chairs when I need to let it dry out.

The only feature you mention is water resistant, and since you are only talking about summer storage, you might consider a half cover like this - https://eztouring.com/product/the-traveler-motorcycle-cover/.

Much easier to store.

My experience with N-R covers wasnt positive. The cover marked the paint where ever there was contact. YMMV.

-Steve

One comment... If you are leaving the bike outside in all weather with a cover, make sure it is well secured. One one hand, it could blow away in a strong wind. Even worse, if it flaps in the breeze, it could chafe the paint.

I have a Yamaha FJR cover when I bought my 2008 bike. Its' only been use a few times when on trips. If your interested in purchasing a slightly used cover I would be willing to part with it.

PM me,

Dave

I have a Yamaha FJR cover when I bought my 2008 bike. Its' only been use a few times when on trips. If your interested in purchasing a slightly used cover I would be willing to part with it.
PM me,

Dave
Thanks Dave, I wish I'd waited to see your reply, however I purchased a Dowco Guardian Weatherall cover as recommended by Steve (sapest).

I have a great cover and I'd recommend it to anybody. It's a Speedway Shelter, a portable and retractable tent that I've had in my driveway for at least seven or eight years. They had a booth at the big traveling bike show that they used to have in the S.F. Bay Area, and still do have around the country (don't know if they still use that show for sales though). I just checked with a dealer and they cost about $450 new, certainly more than a bike cover, but a heck of a lot less than building a garage, and to me, it's as good as a garage for the bike. Waterproof, keeps the sun off, along with bird poop, tree drippings, and nosy eyes. Super easy to open and close, no worry about it melting onto your hot pipes. BTW, that price is for the larger, "touring" size--perfect for the FJR with side and top cases and an oversize windscreen.

The UV is hard on the fabric and eventually I had to replace just the rubberized canvas cover, which they sell for way less than half of the total cost, and that just velcroes onto the sturdy metal frame. Great product. Check it out in

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you live in the land of the white stuff. Not so sure how it would work around here. I have lost 2 reinforced tent covers twice during the winter.

Dave

The Nelson Rigg Defender Extreme looks good. I'm just not sure how big it is to travel with. Anyone know?

+1 Dowco Guardian. I bought mine many many years back and about every two years I got it replaced for free because it decayed in the sun. Got three new ones as it had a life time warranty, not sure if they still do.