Over the Passes to Bridgeport - Sept 12/13

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you thought this all out in detail, but if you want some seriously windy roads leaving Livermore I'd suggest Mines Road to Del Puerto Canyon Road (with maybe a stop at The Junction) then out to Patterson on I5. Possibly some of the best riding roads in the entire Bay Area and you're right at the start of it when you're on Tesla heading east.

Tyler - what time are you all planning on meeting/leaving the Starbucks on Saturday morning? I live about 5 miles from there so I'd love to see you all - unfortunately can't take the whole weekend off but can get away for an hour or two.....
Meeting at 7am, KSU at 8am. Come on by! B)

I'm sure you thought this all out in detail, but if you want some seriously windy roads leaving Livermore I'd suggest Mines Road to Del Puerto Canyon Road (with maybe a stop at The Junction) then out to Patterson on I5. Possibly some of the best riding roads in the entire Bay Area and you're right at the start of it when you're on Tesla heading east.
I know those roads well but trying to get across the central valley and over 108 with time to head out to Bodie as I've never been... will keep that route in mind for the next time! ;)

Saturday's plan includes a visit to the mining ghost town of Bodie. It's about a 10-mile drive out and the last three miles are hard-packed dirt. If you aren't keen on taking your bike on a dirt road, just head for the Settlement. Here is a good website with info on Bodie and a video of a drive out and what the road looks like if anyone is interested.

https://www.bodie.com/

3 miles is not so bad. Years ago I went there and the entire road was dirt/gravel. Things have improved.

LUNCH UPDATE: Today in Sonora there is quite a bit of ash falling from the Butte Fire in the Mokelumne Hill area which is 30 miles away as the crow flies. The wind is stirring up flurries of the light ash and it's blowing all over the place. Given we are planning to cook and eat outside we are going to shift gears. A friend from SBR, Chris, has agreed to host us at his home near Twain Harte (very cool!).

I won't be posting up his address on the neenernet but will send it to those who I know will be meeting up with us at the lunch stop. If there is anyone else that is planning on meeting us at the lunch stop, please let me know and I will send you the address. Still $10 cash to help cover the costs of food, etc.

Hello all,
New to the forum, exploring what's up and came upon this thread. Lot of hubba hubba, cause you all seem to know each other, but can I get more detail about this ride/event? Sounds like a lot of fun!

Jay
Jay, one of our group is sick and can't go so he's putting his room up for grabs. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with him but you'll need to act fast! PM me a cell number and I'll send it to my friend. B)

Jay, you are correct, a lot of the members of this forum know each other. It's a good group. The Over the Passes ride is actually another group's ride (Dangerous Curves from Meetup), but one of the members of the other group also participates in this group and invited us along. The biggest issue for you, is timing. All the rooms are booked at the place we are staying and several miles in each direction.
I'm way behind on my e-mail. Finally catching up.

My FJR is not ready. Waiting on new Speigler front brake line for my bar riser/set back mod. DANG!!

Have fun y'all and keep me in the loop for whatever.

Jay

Hello all,
New to the forum, exploring what's up and came upon this thread. Lot of hubba hubba, cause you all seem to know each other, but can I get more detail about this ride/event? Sounds like a lot of fun!

Jay
Jay, one of our group is sick and can't go so he's putting his room up for grabs. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with him but you'll need to act fast! PM me a cell number and I'll send it to my friend.
cool.png
Hello all,

Jay
Jay, one of our group is sick and can't go so he's putting his room up for grabs. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with him but you'll need to act fast! PM me a cell number and I'll send it to my friend.
cool.png
Just got this e-mail from you Tyler. I won't be able to make it. My FJR is not ready. Thank you so much for the heads up!

Jay