Overnite on the Way

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Plan on heading that way from Seattle area and am playing with the maps. Looking at the one day range I have found Jerome Id., Shoshone appears to have zero accommodations and I do not want to go into Twin Falls. Jerome is kind of a spur off 84. has motels and food and then it will be up accross the Craters of the Moon on highways 26,93,20, getting in to Idaho Falls relatively early so I can run around some countryside that day. All plans tentative at this time.

Not sure where Jerome is but if you are on I84 the mountain home exit has motels and a killer steak house just on the north side. From there you can continue north and do the Craters of the moon.

". . . mountain home has motels and a killer steak house just on the north side."
They also have a good Walmart in case you leave your camera on your saddle bag earlier in the day somewhere and ride away and it falls off and when you go back it's not there anymore. Or, you know, gum or anything.

Mountain Home is the better option. HWY 20 from Mtn. Home to Fairfield is a really nice road that climbs a ways up with some nice twisties, then opens up on the high plain. There are 3 or 4 hotels right at the junction of I84 and HWY 20,and the "Wingers" you can walk to has ok food and a lot of good beer on tap...

They also have a good Walmart in case you leave your camera on your saddle bag earlier in the day somewhere and ride away and it falls off and when you go back it's not there anymore. Or, you know, gum or anything.
Been by that Walmart a couple times...is this experience talking Mike, or something you heard from a *friend*? ;) :lol:

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
James, I, too, am going overnight it to Idaho Falls. It's way too far for me ... especially on ZX-14. I think I'm going to get there & return on a big loop via the John Day area & other areas that I haven't ridden. Craters of the Moon Park, Palouse Falls, & some other attractions are on my list.

I plan on being in the Nampa area on wed afternoon thru evening to visit family, then ride the 20/26 thurs morning. Any thing can change.

Spud, you gonna be in that area? Time to hoist a few!!

Should be great fishing in that area. George, ya gonna take me fishing?

I'll take ya fishin' anytime you are down our way ED!

Really enjoyed catching 4 barred perch at the outflow of the PG&E plant on a 2" white wiggle worm, in Eureka last WFO9. Only took an hour to hook 'em up too. :clapping:

Thanks for the tip, I owe you one! :yahoo:

I'll take ya fishin' anytime you are down our way ED!

Really enjoyed catching 4 barred perch at the outflow of the PG&E plant on a 2" white wiggle worm, in Eureka last WFO9. Only took an hour to hook 'em up too. :clapping:

Thanks for the tip, I owe you one! :yahoo:
Thanks George, are you going to make WFO 10? I am going to take some ultra light gear and do my best to soak a worm or two. If your headed there, we will have lots of places to fish, damn Snake River goes thru town.

In a while I'll probably post a thread on a few things to do around here, but as for fishing...something I admit I MAY love more than biking:

Yes, the Snake River runs through town. You can walk across the street from the WFO Hotel and catch rainbow and cutthroat trout right at the falls. I'm not saying it's the greatest place to fish on the river, but I've caught a lot of fish right downtown over the years. There are some really excellent places less than 30 minutes away, and evenings are usually a great time to fish.

Just make sure you pay attention to this before you do it:

https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/

". . . mountain home has motels and a killer steak house just on the north side."

There's so much in that one sentence. Like having a five course meal consisting entirely of yogurt.

In a while I'll probably post a thread on a few things to do around here, but as for fishing...something I admit I MAY love more than biking:

Yes, the Snake River runs through town. You can walk across the street from the WFO Hotel and catch rainbow and cutthroat trout right at the falls. I'm not saying it's the greatest place to fish on the river, but I've caught a lot of fish right downtown over the years. There are some really excellent places less than 30 minutes away, and evenings are usually a great time to fish.

Just make sure you pay attention to this before you do it:

https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/
Spud, Thanks for the info!!! I do want to go do some fishing, I fished the Snake in 1980 on a return ride from Alberta. Stunning beauty and great fishing as I remember, So, Lets go fishing!!

I checked out the F&G web page, it appears they do not like non-resident sportsmen!!

FWFE

Not sure where Jerome is but if you are on I84 the mountain home exit has motels and a killer steak house just on the north side. From there you can continue north and do the Craters of the moon.
After eyeballing the map for a while I like your thinking and have a reservation at the Mt Home best west for the 13th. Not only does this route look more interesting, but cuts off about 30 miles.

There's so much in that one sentence. Like having a five course meal consisting entirely of yogurt.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

JamesW, I traced out the same route for me comming from the west, I plan on visiting some relatives in Kuna, the spending the night in Mt Home, then up 20 to the mountains. I see the route goes right by "Breeder Reactor #1" Cool!! I have been feeling a little low on my roetgens lately! and off Hwy 26 is Atomic City. Another great place to catch a good dose...

I recall well the plans of some of the riders to WFO 8 in Moscow, a group of about 11-13 were going to meet in Cambridge, then ride Hells Canyon and on to Moscow. Well I can tell you this, there was only 1 FJR in Cambridge that night. I know this to a fact!

So, I plan on making Mt. Home my overnight on Wed, then up 20 to Idaho Falls. and maybe fish if the spirit moves me.

Spud, Keep the great local tips comming! I' buy ya a beer!

Ed,

The guy who ended up with your lucky $2 bill in Moscow two years ago and we drank beer and some Scotch after the ride to Elk River for huckleberry pie! I want to join you and Spud for some fishing!! Maybe we can get some tips for fishing up near Salmon, ID? I thought I was the only guy who carried fishing gear on his bike. My problem is I get skunked, but I sure like trying.

If you need a guy to fish with you and Spud I would sure like to invite myself!

Rich, Hell ya!!! lets fish!! I plan on bringing a simple open spool spinning set and some simple tackle, Catch and Release until I can cook em, I love fresh fish.

Yes I remember the ride to Elk River, HOT FRIGGEN DAY!!! As time gets closer, we can sure make some riding-fishing plans!

FWFE

Spud, Good Point!! I had heard that on the news and I just put in a new safe at home, and need to fill it!! I would certainly have the most useless farkle though, mounting a satellite dish system on my FJR...

Status
Not open for further replies.