Painting Oil Filters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a windfall of good auto engine oil filters (Purolator) which work quite nicely on the FJR. But they're painted white.

Will standard duty outdoor spray paint be adequate for the filters or is it better to use higher temp engine paint? Oil temp at idle is approximately 185+ degF.

https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=372&sid=248944
I would think regular outdoor paint would suffice. I always mark the date installed and mileage on mine with a white paint pen and It never fades.

:jester:

I've been using Krylon Interior/Exterior paint for years and never any peeling; I scuff the filter with a scotchbrite pad (you can use sandpaper too), paint and ready in about 15 minutes.

yamaha_oil_filter_5jw.jpg

Any idea what the paint code is for the lettering?

I did the same thing - I bought a load of Purolator (Blue) and painted them flat black - Rustoleum. So far no one has complained :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use thee long Purolator One (gold). I use black BBQ spray paint. Blends in well with the bike and rated for high temps. Maybe overkill!!

There has got to be another stream on this forum about Purolators vs Yamaha oil filters. Someone in this crowd has to have sliced and compared the two. Do they have the same number of pleats? Does one use better material for filtering oil? If it can be proven to me that the purolator is safe I'll paint it with a brush...Dan