Painting The Fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUX

Reaction score
Just wondering how difficult it would be to remove all the plastic and the tank in order to paint them.

It may be out of my control anyway, but I'm considering waiting for the '06 FJR. I'm worried that Yamaha may change the colors to red or two-tone. I already have a metallic red bike, and the two-tone just might keep me from buying.

Has anyone heard rumors of a black frame and swing-arm next year? I haven't, but it seems to be the current trend. Maybe Yamaha will do that AND offer color choice. :D

I haven't heard anything about the black frame, but that would be a first.

I'm currently painting mine in the next couple days. I've prepped all the part, it's really not that hard, however the cost involvedmight be fairly high if you are not painting it yourself.

I'll post pics after I get done. It's going to be Black Pearl, not black not silver, a very sweet charcoal metallic with some pearl in it. I'm excited anyway.

Alex

@DUX - Rumor is we will get stuck with the two tone blue/silver that is available in the UK now. :wacko:

The plastic is pretty easy to pull, with the exception of the nose piece around the headlights. It's a real PITA due to so many fasteners inside the fairing that are hard to get to. Not so bad if you take it slow, but there's always a couple more bolts when you think you have them all. <_< Like they didn't want you to do it.

@Alex - Sounds very cool. Like the XX special edition. ;)

I haven't heard anything about the black frame, but that would be a first.
I'm currently painting mine in the next couple days. I've prepped all the part, it's really not that hard, however the cost involvedmight be fairly high if you are not painting it yourself.

I'll post pics after I get done.  It's going to be Black Pearl, not black not silver, a very sweet charcoal metallic with some pearl in it.  I'm excited anyway.

Alex
Alex....I would like to see the pics Black Pearl

good luck....Ed :D

My Webpage

I'll get the pics out ASAP (as soon as painted) :)

Also a note on the front light, fairing assembly, I did it the hard way a couple of years back then found that there are 4, yes only 4 phillips screws infront of the forks that need to be removed then the entire top front assembly slides forward off the bike, then you can EASILY remove the sides and lights from the front nose.

Of course this is after you remove the front lowers on each side and the little black triangles on the inside of the fairing.

Alex

I'll get the pics out ASAP (as soon as painted) :) Also a note on the front light, fairing assembly, I did it the hard way a couple of years back then found that there are 4, yes only 4 phillips screws infront of the forks that need to be removed then the entire top front assembly slides forward off the bike, then you can EASILY remove the sides and lights from the front nose.

Of course this is after you remove the front lowers on each side and the little black triangles on the inside of the fairing.

Alex
Yep you're right , only 4 main screws and the whole frt , lights and all come off pretty easily . Much like the R1 in fact .

So you're pulling the front subframe off with the nose fairing this way? Sounds way easier than what I've heard about before. No wonder those other fasteners are hard to get too with it on the bike!

I'm not sure if I would call it sub frame, but here is a short description of how it assembles.

first the left and right upper cowls screw/attach to the center cowl, then you can slide in the headlights and screw them in with the allen head fastners (4) and 1 phillips screw. That entire assebly then slides in from the front. Be careful, you have to monkey it around the mirror supports, windshield arms and then pop it up and over the guage assembly. It is pretty tuff by yourself, but with an extra hand the process is much easier. You then can fasten all the above to the support bracket bolted to the front of the frame. 4 phillips screw needed here

Confused yet??

So what's the prep? What paint? What tools? Do you have to be a pro to give it a decent paint job or could a weekend mechanic handle this job?

Thanks!