Palouse Falls

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
I enjoyed my first longer ride of the season yesterday, about 300 miles. The route in Basecamp says the route is about 325 miles, yet the track of the same route said about 300 miles as did my FJR odometer. Basecamp says the route will take 8 hours yet transferring the the route to the Zumo 590 says the route is 6.5 hours, that is a 18.75% reduction. I am getting more annoyed with Basecamp as time goes on. I long for the days of using Mapsource with my Zumo 550 when shit worked better than with the Basecamp Zumo 590 combination. The only advantage of the 590 over the 550 is it accepts a large SD card and the Zumo 550 crapped out a few years ago.

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised the trip was few hours less than based camp planned on for this means I will arrive at home before dark.

I wasn't going to do a ride report cause I wasn't inspired and did have anything to say. This changed about 1 hour into the ride right about here:

04Nl1L2.jpg

And a little closer up.

SpOcvbR.jpg

Lands End no?

And before I go on here is the route, if you can trust Basecamp.

pkeM6gV.jpg

The idea was to ride on the best roads in the Palouse wheat country. I was on several county roads where the surface is unpredictable this time of year due to sand on the road. Often sand blends in with the road surface creating invisible hazards and so it was around Endicott where I was going slow enough to simply slip couple of inches in the turn. The story would have been different had I been leaned over at 50 mph.

Along Hwy 261 get decided to stop and take a Pants inspired photo of the rear of the bike.

Along the way I had a flash back. My Vstrom, along Hwy 261, many years ago long before I had an FJR.

GuwooNj.jpg

Now I wonder if this photo I have in mind for today is inspired by Pants or by myself and I just forgot about it.

Today. Look under the right side mirror and you will find the road, (cue up Led Zeppelin).

zee8yEr.jpg

Little different angle:

esfDx2r.jpg

Remove the bike to discover why I road 1.5 hour to get here.

1WEhlJB.jpg

And there is no sand on the road and generally on numbered state highways there isn't. Local knowledge. It is as good as it looks.

I decide to check out Palouse Falls and found half the population off Washtucna was there as well.

Palouse Falls when I was there on the Vstrom years ago.

2FKBRjI.jpg

Palouse Falls today:

QNReFOg.jpg

Different perspective:

adiUh2U.jpg

The Palouse River Canyon five miles long was cut by the

Please watch the video to learn how the Palouse Falls was formed.

Nh5kDGZ.jpg

There was a line up at the restroom in and it was long. Damn I have never seen so many people here. Backtracking a bit. At the entrance to Palouse Falls there was a sign warning visitors to stay back from the river and 4 people were recently killed there. Darwin rules.

Back on the road on Hwy 12 I take some photos of the Snake River:

7hHzvRd.jpg

h2llXVG.jpg

rLiq26l.jpg

During the Ice Age Floods water flowed up the Snake River toward Lewiston leaving large sand bars when the debris fell out of solution as the flow diminished.

I climb back up a ridge and take a few more photos with wind mills off to my left.

wrQnmGG.jpg

9PVdEAx.jpg

There is sill snow on the hillsides.

9Hv82f1.jpg

Near the ridge top.

AGK5sDo.jpg

CmvS1k6.jpg

xHDPu5L.jpg

And back down to the Snake River about 30 miles east of where I was before.

5e5orWL.jpg

Time to head for the barn. I am on Hwy 27 where 3 weeks ago crews battled to keep the road open.

It was a great day to be on the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great that you add scripts to understand a little more about how the falls is formed.
Thanks, the geology of Eastern Washington is amazing. We ride around here in awe of the scenery such as Dry Falls area. How it was formed increases my enjoyment of the ride.

I knew that photo of 261 looked familiar... rode it a few years ago and stopped at just about the same place in the road that you did... if you look closely in the middle of the pic, you can see Brian/festar zipping along... hadn't heard of Palouse Falls until recently and had I known we were so close to it, I would've stopped! ;)

18813214_10155170749920325_8390947208297178038_n.jpg

Beautiful ride!! Great write up and photos! I love HWY 261 and the whole area you rode. Palouse Falls is lovely any time of year. Finally got the FJR out for the first time this year, today! Put on about 85 miles running to Plains and back. Beautiful spring day here in Western Montana.

I rode most of the roads in early October and sent back to lewiston and of Oct to get my Tiger. I am definitely going to spend more time down there. I was really impressed with Tucannon RV park near Starbuck. Great pictures

i HAVE ZIG-ZAGED around that country many times, has a unique texture. Steptoe butte is kind of cool also. even camped there once long, long ago. Keep having fun. Add-on, west on 260 to Connell, there is a restaurant in the middle of town that has outstanding beef, steak and eggs anytime of day was a major enjoyment. 261 up from the snake to 260 is a great putt and has the occasional flock of wild turkeys.