Passenger Seat Luggage Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road_Runner

Accelerati Incredibilus
Reaction score
I camp off my FJR, and so far I have just strapped gear to the seat using a cargo net to the Givi GR357. This works OK, but a rack would be better. Unfortunately I missed purchasing a Gerauld rack from a very recent sale post. Here is a picture from the post:

rack2.JPG
This rack requires the Givi GR357. I have not seen another one for sale, so I think it is a pretty uncommon item. Please advise if this is not the case. I did email Gerauld just to see if he had anymore lying around (EDIT: He replied and doesn't have any).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also searched the almighty Internet, and found this one from R-Gaza:

rack.jpg

Anyone have the R-Gaza setup?

Are there any other options for a rack that covers the passenger seat?

Last edited:
I have this "twin rack" system I built my self. It is multi purpose, in this photo it is carry a "top box" and a 12 volt 25 litre fridge freezer. I don't use panniers, instead I tow a single wheel trailer sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG_9246.JPG
    IMG_9246.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 1
I just bought this one to strap to the rear seat.

71xCmerWKAL._AC_SX569_.jpg

It holds my thermorest, pillow, sleeping bag, Kermit chair, tent poles, and tarp.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZTSFTQZ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1

Kriega bags work well. I have a 30l one for my Supersport.
IMG_20230421_105449_HDR.jpg

I got a heavy-duty range/tool bag of the size I want. I make sure there are velco-sealing flaps over all zippers and then soak it yearly (exterior heavy soaking spray) with a heavy duty Scotch Guard of some type. I went with something that has few external pockets and was the heaviest Cordura I could find. Still have that original bag and use it as a gig bag for my guitar stuff.

Set it across the passenger seat and strap it down. Super stable and centralizes the weight instead of on the rear rack. It's probably 30 years old and no signs of wear.

I wanted something else to carry things and found this bag.
The 50lt bag is a perfect fit across the back of the seat. You can still access the saddlebag locks and latches.
7AC29287-227D-405F-AD17-64B58AB92963.jpeg

Lots of ways to tie it down. I used one big Rok-Strap and two small ones.
213C047B-2697-4E7C-8EE6-F246B56A56E3.jpeg

The hardest part of using this bag is getting all the air out when closing it up.
Very handy and appears to be high quality. Lifetime warranty.
Another rackless option.
-Steve

I camp off my FJR, and so far I have just strapped gear to the seat using a cargo net to the Givi GR357. This works OK, but a rack would be better. Unfortunately I missed purchasing a Gerauld rack from a very recent sale post. Here is a picture from the post:

View attachment 4400
This rack requires the Givi GR357. I have not seen another one for sale, so I think it is a pretty uncommon item. Please advise if this is not the case. I did email Gerauld just to see if he had anymore lying around (EDIT: He replied and doesn't have any).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also searched the almighty Internet, and found this one from R-Gaza:

View attachment 4399

Anyone have the R-Gaza setup?

Are there any other options for a rack that covers the passenger seat?

The support structure that covers the seat so you can use it to store a bag are impressive. Wow!
I do wonder if they're necessary since the seat is already designed to hold a passenger (150lbs and above is not unreasonable).

I do a lot of long distance touring/camping. All the tent gear goes in a 20gal project box as a "top box" on the rear rack, and all my personal stuff goes in a duffel bag that just rests on the passenger seat.

As for what bag? My guess is you'll love whatever bag you use first. My choices is/was
the Spring Country brand 65L travel duffel bag. (look that up on Amazon) ($25 May 2023)
It carries as much as a small suitcase. I've clipped it to the top box so that it won't come off, but all it's weight rests on the passenger seat... not on the rear rack.

My two hard saddlebags are devoted to riding gear: coats/gloves for hot, rainy, and cold weather.

My last outing was from San Diego to Omaha, NE, and back. I have family there, and the camping along the way is easy and sometimes FREE. (FreeCampSites.net)

I have this "twin rack" system I built my self. It is multi purpose, in this photo it is carry a "top box" and a 12 volt 25 litre fridge freezer. I don't use panniers, instead I tow a single wheel trailer sometimes.
Top heavy?????

The support structure that covers the seat so you can use it to store a bag are impressive. Wow!
I do wonder if they're necessary since the seat is already designed to hold a passenger (150lbs and above is not unreasonable).

I do a lot of long distance touring/camping. All the tent gear goes in a 20gal project box as a "top box" on the rear rack, and all my personal stuff goes in a duffel bag that just rests on the passenger seat.

As for what bag? My guess is you'll love whatever bag you use first. My choices is/was
the Spring Country brand 65L travel duffel bag. (look that up on Amazon) ($25 May 2023)
It carries as much as a small suitcase. I've clipped it to the top box so that it won't come off, but all it's weight rests on the passenger seat... not on the rear rack.

My two hard saddlebags are devoted to riding gear: coats/gloves for hot, rainy, and cold weather.

My last outing was from San Diego to Omaha, NE, and back. I have family there, and the camping along the way is easy and sometimes FREE. (FreeCampSites.net)
Hi StratTuner, I also live in Temecula. Let's get together for a ride. Dan

IDK, I guess the rack really isn't needed, and that's why there are so few!

Probably just go with a waterproof bag like others suggested.

Maybe something to protect the seat for carrying firewood from CG host to campsite.

IDK, I guess the rack really isn't needed, and that's why there are so few!

Probably just go with a waterproof bag like others suggested.

Maybe something to protect the seat for carrying firewood from CG host to campsite.
Once I'm camped, the camping gear is out of the big 20gal storage box on the rear rack, so I can go into town, have dinner, and carry the firewood back in that (now empty) storage top box.

Heavy cordura range bag of the size needed. Look for one's with cordura flaps over the zippers. Once a year douse it in aerosol water repellent to add to it's inherent protections. Strap to passenger seat.