Passo dello Stelvio - up one side and down the other!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
I was daydreaming about Stilfersjoch / Passo dello Stelvio and Eka of Spain from K1600 Forum posted these Alps ride videos up!

Stelvio is such tight hairpins all the time, that it's is not so enjoyable with this fatty-a-cow actually... but really must to see. Here is video i was there last time with my K1600GT:

Last edited by a moderator:
Never rode it on a motorcycle, but rode a bicycle up and over in 1975 while attending the "Giro De Italia" that summer. Don't remember much of that trip for some strange reason :)

When I first started watching the very first video I was trying to decide which side of the road he should be riding on because he was very often in & out of both of the lanes.

When I first started watching the very first video I was trying to decide which side of the road he should be riding on because he was very often in & out of both of the lanes.
The roadway is not very wide and the corners are so tight that it is not possible to ride in your own lane all the time. There are sections on that pass where two full sized American cars would not get past each other. Sight lines become very important and when riding in the Alps the buses always have the right of way. I had to back up once in a switchback on the road up to Selvino from Bergamo since the bus needed the entire road to make the switchback.

The roadway is not very wide and the corners are so tight that it is not possible to ride in your own lane all the time. There are sections on that pass where two full sized American cars would not get past each other. Sight lines become very important and when riding in the Alps the buses always have the right of way. I had to back up once in a switchback on the road up to Selvino from Bergamo since the bus needed the entire road to make the switchback.
Billy Fitz is 100% correct luvtoride, I had to back up once in a switchback on the road up to Grossglockner since this Frostback Hoser bus needed the entire road to make the switchback; Beauty, eh! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

day-5-1-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: