Pathfinder's 100,000 (Cert.) Miles in 1 Year Attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I figured out I was down 5 BBGs from my schedule. This weekend I was able to pull off 2. So now I am only 4 down.

the first BBG had me stretching fuel stops. On the way out I was averaging 258 miles per tank, but each stop I was over 50 miles into reserve. Made it going out, but the headwind got me on the return... I had to push the bike .6 miles to the first fuel stop.

Not too cool for a 57 year old...

My Gen 1 bike and my first Gen 3 bike would draw every drop of the 6.6 gallons out of the tank.  I ran out of fuel in both of them to prove it.

Not to be outdone, I ran out of fuel in my current bike and it will only draw 6.3 gallons.  I was able to coast into the fuel station (and coast through a stop sign) for that one.

So what used to be an honest 50 miles on reserve is now cut to no more than 40.

My personal record on my Gen 2 is 76 miles with the fuel light taunting me and I put in 6.587 gallons. I regularly run 40-50 with the light blinking under normal circumstances.Headwinds or sustained higher speed I cut that back to 30-40. Fortunately haven't had to push this bike yet.

Maybe the aux fuel line had some capacity? It has no fuel cell on at the time. The line is only 1 foot or so long at the QD.
I doubt that the aux fuel line has that much volume.  On the other hand, the amount of gas you can squeeze into the FJR tank is a function of how patient you are in dribbling it in.  (Also, I have no idea of the volume variability/tolerance for the OEM tank.)

On both of my Gen II, I have run over 60 miles after hitting the "count up".  Usually slow down to 50 or so (if I can) if I feel there is a chance I will run out.

the first BBG had me stretching fuel stops. On the way out I was averaging 258 miles per tank, but each stop I was over 50 miles into reserve. Made it going out, but the headwind got me on the return... I had to push the bike .6 miles to the first fuel stop.
Are you sure you don't want the aux cell for that bike?  Easy install if you swing by...

Some days I think Tony is making this look easy and some days I think he's making it look extremely difficult.  Pushing your bike can't be easy, I huff & puff pushing mine around the garage.  Show us that monster blister Tony

Any update Tony?  We haven't heard from you in two weeks....
I picked up a new ‘18 FJR from a St. Louis dealership and have been riding the snot out of it. 4700 miles in 5 days. 

I went to Denison to the BAT this weekend. I do not like to give updates until I actually have the cert in hand.

As soon as I get my certs (About 20 pending) I will post up. Unofficially since I lost August, I fell 5 BBGs behind schedule. I rolled 7 BBGs in September, so now I am just 2 behind schedule. I need 11 more BBGs for my goal this year of 67. That would give me 100 BBGs overall.

I picked up a new ‘18 FJR from a St. Louis dealership and have been riding the snot out of it. 4700 miles in 5 days. 

I went to Denison to the BAT this weekend. I do not like to give updates until I actually have the cert in hand.

As soon as I get my certs (About 20 pending) I will post up. Unofficially since I lost August, I fell 5 BBGs behind schedule. I rolled 7 BBGs in September, so now I am just 2 behind schedule. I need 11 more BBGs for my goal this year of 67. That would give me 100 BBGs overall.

Rock on Tony!

I didn't know it came with black bags. Hmmmm, that's different.

Dave, Keep chugging along Tony. You will get there.