Pathfinder's 48plus/10-10s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony, I'm sure your epic ride will be in the history books long before you get a chance to read this, but, if you were wondering what that unnatural feeling was that kept you going during your ride, it was a heaping pile of good mojo being sent from all across the country as we sat back in our comfortable chairs and watched in awe as the little cycle on the SPOT tracker site made it's way all over the country.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to live vicariously through you - a job well done.....so far!!! We'll continue to pull for you as you make your way through BC and on to Hyder.

Mind numbing! Keep rolling Tony! Looking forward to a debrief/ride report.

The finish line is near, and we are all rooting for you!

-BD

add me to the list of inspired groupies - the scene in Forrest Gump when he decides to quit running keeps crossing my mind - what the hell am I going to do now? Congratulations Tony and best wishes for the last leg!

Looks like he is on the move again...
-BD
When the dude finally settled down, took a shower, and layed down on the bed I've reserved for weary travelers....he was out in two minutes with the lights on and legs hanging over the side of the bed. Tony is a very interesting character and a hoot to have as a guest!

I think he got a good 6....6 1/2 hours of sleep and looked MUCH more rested in the morning. He worried he'd overslept and it was noon or something.

I swapped out a headlight last night so he's now back to two low-beams again. Mucking around with the tupperware on a bike with 30,000 miles and mostly stock felt weird...the plastic seemed tighter.

Somewhere about when he hits Cache Creek, BC...I think he'll be just over the 10,000 miles in 10 days mark. As long as he makes it by 9 p.m. PDT or earlier he'll be good.

Meanwhile, he's caught up a fair amount to LDRyder. He's now about 200 miles ahead of him now. Hyder's about to be descended up with all manner of two-wheeled device like migrating geese....with SPOT units taped to them.

Go Tony Go!

What's the science behind him doubling back to Sumas? I realise he needs the miles but I would have thought it would have been easier to go up 542/9 to get there.

I don't see it listed as a real IBA certified ride but some people just gotta go there.
Funny how that process works. Even though it's not offered....I went through the exercise to see what it would take to do a 48++ with capitols. How about instead of just receipts in each state....a receipt in each state capitol of the 48? Diabolical and completely undoable in 10 days if anybody wonders. :blink:

Adding Mexico City, Quebec, and Juneau make my brain melt.

For those wondering I first met rickcorwn BECAUSE of a 48+. Before he owned an FJR I volunteered to ride to nearby Oregon to witness him on a PC800 and buddy a BMW get their 48 state token. It was surreal to say, "And 7 days earlier in Minnesota the guy waving was Bob." and watch ask he scanned his memory from a week earlier and say, "Oh!"

Talked with Tony a couple hours ago and he's in great spirits, been sleeping in the Iron Butt Hotel a bunch from what I gather, and was looking forward to this part of the ride a bunch in the southwest. If I heard right he's into the 8000 mile range in mid 7 days and feels good to be in the west where miles are a little easier to rack up. He's got some cushion in his 10/10th endeavor.

He had that 7 day sound to him, but not too loopy. Hopefully, he'll make it up here Wednesday or so and we'll put some warm grub in his belly and a bed to get some sleep for the final push to Hyder.
I haven't read the whole thread, but what are the maintenance and care of the bike issues, Iggy or anybody know

what's the plan for taking care of the bike ???

how many miles is the estimate for the whole journey ???

Someday I wish to do the 48 ride, but totally at my own pace !!!

so, after he's been to Hyder he just has to ride home to FL? :)
I need to know what he does for a living. I wouldn't have enough paid time off to do something like this. I had to save up for 6 months to get 5 days last year for my ride to Portland, OR.

Heck, I have both the time and could afford too, but I don't have the "wife" that would let me. :)

Dave
Dave: You need to learn to be more annoying at home. My wife gets excited when she finds out I'm going to leave for a few days :D
+1 :yahoo:

interesting to see how long he takes to transit it.
Shouldn't be long given light traffic today according to WSDOT.
Looks like it was only about 10 min

If my calculations are correct, as of 2:15PM PDT he was near Haig, BC with about 120 mi to go before hitting Cache Creek giving him 10/10ths (per Iggy) in just 9 days (assuming he's there before 20:46 PDT) and then another 715 miles to Hyder.

Are there possibly issues with SpotWalla not updating in BC? Hasn't been an update in 55 min.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it looks like he's cracked the 10 10th nut, boys that is one big f'n ride :good: Now on to Hyder, my hope is he'll get some more sleep tonight and finish up in daylight, the critters are bigger up there and higher up the food chain :eek:mg:

I would be happy if I could just do a basic Iron Butt ride. You real LD guys are flipping nutz. WoW!

Be safe out there.

After what appears to be a few hour stay at the Iron Butt Hotel around the booming metropolis of Burns Lake British Columbia, he's back on the road early, certainly an attempt to beat what I'm sure is the madness of rush hour in Houston, BC. Looks to be about 250 mi to Hyder.

After what appears to be a few hour stay at the Iron Butt Hotel around the booming metropolis of Burns Lake British Columbia, he's back on the road early, certainly an attempt to beat what I'm sure is the madness of rush hour in Houston, BC. Looks to be about 250 mi to Hyder.

Looks to be ~Smithers when I just looked; I did a quick google map and it said 211 miles to go. That's just a short trip to the store for T now!

I'll try and give him a call and leave a message!

He's about the make the final turn towards Hyder at Meziaden Jct. and the views will now become spectacular. Very fitting for a spectacular ride :good:

P1010026-1.jpg

No kidding... what an accomplishment!!

:yahoo: :drinks: :dwarf: :fan_1: :fans:

And it appears that Dennis (LDRyder) is just a few hours behind him at Burns Lake.

...I swapped out a headlight last night so he's now back to two low-beams again. Mucking around with the tupperware on a bike with 30,000 miles and mostly stock felt weird...the plastic seemed tighter.

What are you talking about? I have seen that bike - it only has 20,000 miles on it. Wait... oh, right!

He only has a handful of miles left! That 6 hours must have done him right, he hammed on until 12:45, took a roadside nap, and was back on the throttle at 4 am.

-BD

Looks like he made it!! Congrat... Great work...

Smitty :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator: