PC V on '07 FJR question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DudeMang

Reaction score
I just ordered a PC V for my '07 FJR and I have a question about which base map to load once I get it. I started looking at the PC V base map and noticed that the the values look to be offsets of the map that is loaded on the FJR's ECU. I'm guessing that the base maps between the '07 and '09 (which the PC V is listed for) would be slightly different. My question is should I load the base map for the PC V or should I convert the PC III base map to PC V format and load that?

I don't believe the PC III map can be loaded into the PCV. They operate differently. Look around on here I believe several have posted their PCV base maps.

+1 - Can't load PCIII maps on a PCV.

But they do work similarly in that the Power Commander's map is just an offset from the FJR ECU's basemap running in the background. The numbers in the map represent percentages of fuel addition or subtraction from that base ECU map.

I just loaded the base PC-V map provided by Fuel Moto. Runs a lot better than stock, yet is not as rich as the Smoothness Map that was out there for the PC III. Fuel mileage is therefore not affected much at all. A good compromise IMHO. Go with the PC-V map and try it. If you want something richer, you can convert/make a PCIII map into PC-V format.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased the PC-V from Fuel Moto (best price) and they suggested I use their map for a stock FJR, stock exhaust, stock air filter. So it was ready to go when I received it. They have different maps available for aftermarket exhausts and air filters. I'm very happy with it and no more herky-jerky throttle in low speed corners. I did lose about 2 MPG's. But well worth it with a crisp, responsive throttle.

I have to disagree; You may not be able to push a PCiii map into a PC-V using the PCiii software - I can not confirm that as I don't have the old software anymore.

However, You can open a PCIII map(*.djm format) in the PC-V software, convert it (save as) a PC-V format(*.pvm). I just did it on my netbook before responding. I did this with the custom (dyno) map from my '04 to play with it in the '09. The difference, IIRC, is that the PC-V has a 250 rpm increment on the tables, and I think the PCiii had 500 rpm increments. Some will jump in and call me out if that's incorrect.

Now, one option you can utilize with the PC-V to test maps back to back on the go is loading both of them and installing a simple open / closed switch. The instructions show you which terminals to plug the wire into, run it to a switch (mine's mounted up on the left panel behind the glovebox lid). You can switch on the go; if you've got a laptop plugged in, you can see the map change on the screen when you flip the switch. Load two maps, ride on one, switch to the other, ride some more. Keep the one you like better.

I run a zero map for highway, then a hybrid smoothness map for off the highway. Just flip the switch. I'd suggest starting with a canned table/ map first. Don't start manually changing numbers in the cells unless you've spent some time to know exaclty what your changing. I'd defer to Uselesspickles - he's spent the time with fuel tables playing with them to include the afr moty install on his '08. Maybe he'll wander by and enlighten us some more...

Hope this helps.

I have to disagree; You may not be able to push a PCiii map into a PC-V using the PCiii software - I can not confirm that as I don't have the old software anymore.

However, You can open a PCIII map(*.djm format) in the PC-V software, convert it (save as) a PC-V format(*.pvm). I just did it on my netbook before responding. I did this with the custom (dyno) map from my '04 to play with it in the '09. The difference, IIRC, is that the PC-V has a 250 rpm increment on the tables, and I think the PCiii had 500 rpm increments. Some will jump in and call me out if that's incorrect.

Now, one option you can utilize with the PC-V to test maps back to back on the go is loading both of them and installing a simple open / closed switch. The instructions show you which terminals to plug the wire into, run it to a switch (mine's mounted up on the left panel behind the glovebox lid). You can switch on the go; if you've got a laptop plugged in, you can see the map change on the screen when you flip the switch. Load two maps, ride on one, switch to the other, ride some more. Keep the one you like better.

I run a zero map for highway, then a hybrid smoothness map for off the highway. Just flip the switch. I'd suggest starting with a canned table/ map first. Don't start manually changing numbers in the cells unless you've spent some time to know exaclty what your changing. I'd defer to Uselesspickles - he's spent the time with fuel tables playing with them to include the afr moty install on his '08. Maybe he'll wander by and enlighten us some more...

Hope this helps.

DO you do this with the 02 sensor disconnected?

I got my PC V in last night and everything went great. Bike is running so slick and bucking from off to on throttle is about 95% gone.

Thanks everyone from the help! I would have worried much about this without everyone's advice!

good to hear. The '07's are known for that - a G2 throttle tube might help as well. Which map did you load into the PC-V?

I got my PC V in last night and everything went great. Bike is running so slick and bucking from off to on throttle is about 95% gone.

Thanks everyone from the help! I would have worried much about this without everyone's advice!

Did you get the auto tune module with it? You might check out Ahchiu's posts about it. There is a real lean spot in the map that he figured out how to get rid of.

good to hear. The '07's are known for that - a G2 throttle tube might help as well. Which map did you load into the PC-V?

I ended up just going with the pre-loaded map.

Did you get the auto tune module with it? You might check out Ahchiu's posts about it. There is a real lean spot in the map that he figured out how to get rid of.
I do not have the auto tone module. Is the lean spot in the stock base map that comes on the PC V?

Yes it is in the base map. here is Marcus's thread regarding the lean spot. PCV You might want to contact him also.

Yes it is in the base map. here is Marcus's thread regarding the lean spot. PCV You might want to contact him also.
I have an 07 with PC-5 and the autotune running holeshot slip-ons and removed the cats on the headers also opened up the air intake on the oppsite side of the air filter, to me it seems to run rich and gas mileage is down(not a big deal to me) but I do not think the map is a good setup for the 07 at least. custom map would be the way to go such have not had the money to spend on it yet

I have an 07 with PC-5 and the autotune running holeshot slip-ons and removed the cats on the headers also opened up the air intake on the oppsite side of the air filter, to me it seems to run rich and gas mileage is down(not a big deal to me) but I do not think the map is a good setup for the 07 at least. custom map would be the way to go such have not had the money to spend on it yet
With the Auto Tune is like having a live dyno adjustments, it goes off you AFR settings, if you want to lean out your fuel you need to alter the AFR targets in your Power Commander. A custom map will do you no good if you have a AutoTune with your PC-5.