PCIII map help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR01Oz

Reaction score
G'day all,

I am going to fit the PCIII on the Feej 05 this weekend, what I need to know is step by step instructions on how to load the smoothness map into the PCIII while it is off the bike, or is it better to load when all is fitted up? :blink:

I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to puters so be gentle with me and could some one talk me through step by step? :blink:

Cheers :rolleyes:

Maybe you should go to Dynojet and download the manuals and other info.

PC III USB Tutorials

Initial Connection to the PCIII USB Power Commander

How to send a map to the Power Commander

At the bottom.

Software

Complete Software Install Version

Manual

Complete Installation Manual

That may be the easier way for you.

FJR01Oz - if you have a laptop it's easy to load while on the bike. Shadow's right, visit the website, read the directions, and go from there. I'm not a geek, but I figured this out pretty quickly. I tried a different map that one of the folks here had done and it's the best I've tried so far. I found the "smoothness" map my third favorite behind the map that comes with the unit for the FJR. My gas mileage went down noticeably with the smoothness map. One note, you need to power the unit to load it on the bike, hit the kill switch so you don't get the fuel pump going. Trust me, if I can do this (and I can), anyone can! If you have any problems don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks very much for the info fellas, I'll tackle it on the weekend. The PCIII that I have is not from an FJR so it has not got the map loaded for one. If you can link me to a good map that would be appreciated. Hopefully soon I will be getting it Dynoed and get a custom map, but not just yet.

I have noticed that my exhaust is very black and sooty so I'm thinking that it is running rich.

I have a 05 with ABS, D&D slip ons and the air box has had the right side drilled out and the snorkel cut off.

Cheers

The PCIII that I have is not from an FJR so it has not got the map loaded for one.
That's gonna be a big OOPS there, dude. Power Commanders are bike-specific. I see a For Sale ad in your immediate future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't a PCIII a PCIII? isn't it just the different map that makes it bike specific? :dribble:
The harness of the PCIII fits the factory connections to the injectors, between the ECU and the injectors. The only "loose" wire is the ground wire. A PCIII from a different bike, even if it was a similar four-cylinder, would have different connectors, and that bike's ECU might have different data available to the PCIII. For example, some bikes can adjust spark timing via the PCIII, the FJR can't. Different boxes for different bikes.

There's even a different PCIII for GenI vs. GenII FJRs, as pointed out previosuly.

The table in the PCIII will be different, too. A PCIII for a Suzuki Boulevard M50 (like my son's bike) doesn't need to have spaces for 8 or 9 thousand RPM, and the bike has only 2 cylinders. Amazingly enough, it can map each cylinder differently on the M50, where our map is across the board. Now imagine a PCIII for a fuel-injected 600. It needs a map out to 14000 RPM or more!

Thanks guys, that is why I love this site, just a wealth of knowledge out there for numpty's like me.

Looks like I might be selling a PCIII shortly :dribble:

So is my 05 with ABS a Gen I or a Gen II ?

Cheers

Thanks guys, that is why I love this site, just a wealth of knowledge out there for numpty's like me.
Looks like I might be selling a PCIII shortly :dribble:

So is my 05 with ABS a Gen I or a Gen II ?

Cheers
Gen I....last of the finest breed. :)

Thanks again,

So where is the best place to get a PCIII for Gen I ? I have seen them on Ebay for $300, can we do better than that?

Cheers