People who don't ride, don't get it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was putting my ATGATT on to go home after work and while putting my gear on I hear a voice say, "Death ray". I saw a guy walking near me in a suit and tie, towing behind him his little case of work related goodies like a small piece of luggage on wheels. I didn't know him or recognize him so I ignored him. I again hear, "death ray". I said to the guy, "what"? He started pontificating about how I had a death wish for riding motorcycles. I said to him, "I actually enjoy riding motorcycles and it's quite fun". He then replied while still walking away from me, "The adrenalin rush you get from doing something death defying gives you the enjoyment". Then suddenly, without realizing it, my outside voice said, "You wouldn't understand, you're just an idiot". He kept on mumbling something and I just ignored him some more, and had a great ride home.
He gets this weeks :asshat: award.
He is probably one of those assholes who doesn't share the road with motorcycles nicely.

I recently changed my tag-line, but it used to read "Protection and captivity too often look the same". I used this in thinking of all the poor saps who never leave the safety of their "cage", thinking it's protecting them. We riders know differently.

LOL! I've had this conversation SO many times at work, when I show up in my gear. It goes something like......

'Wow, do you ride a motorcycle'

'Yes. I really enjoy riding'

'Aren't they dangerous? I had a friend who got killed on a motorcycle. They're really dangerous'.

'Do you know how many people die in bed? Do you sleep in a bed?'

I believe we, as riders, weigh the risks and benefits every time we ride. There are days when you don't feel up to par, and you don't ride on those days. Certain weather/traffic conditions will alter the equation. The desire to LIVE your life, rather than be afraid of it is the most significant part.

.....many times at work, when I show up in my gear.
I quit wearing gear into the office as it was a give-away that I was leaving early for the weekend, --uhhh, and typically only wednesday :)They caught on quick --and it made sneaking out days early tougher.

I don't get much grief from folks on the danger.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have mentioned the danger of openly psychoanalyzing a total stranger and busting his balls over an activity which he obviously knows little about. ;)

I bet you this guy is never late to work, always ontime going home, drives the same route going home everyday, is mean to waiters, and never venture out of his comfort zone to get a rush once in a while. What a life.
And has to call his wife before he leaves the office so she knows where he is and when to expect him. Aaaannnddddd....she wouldn't allow him to participate in risky behavior, especially riding a murdersickle.

It makes me wonder, how long is his list of "Oh no you're not!" activities.

OTH, riding a motorcycle is more risky than commuting or traveling in an automobile, should there be an incident. Of course, one also must be more involved to ride, and that's the rub for those of us who choose to participate in this sport-past time-hobby-life style. We read books on technique, we dress accordingly with as much safety gear as we deem necessary, some of us take riding courses...all to become better equipped motorcyclists.

THEY will never understand! When my mother was still working her co-workers would hear I was coming to visit on one of my motorcycles and SHE would get the questions. One of her answers was, "Have you ever ridden a motorcycle? I have, and I've ridden behind my son. The first time I rode with him he was 16 years old (Now he's considerably older...like almost 4x!). You really should ride behind someone who's capable and experience the temperature changes, the aromas, feel the changes in humidity and elevation. There's really nothing like it!"

Somehow, that would end their conversation because she wouldn't engage their fears but only spoke of the positive experiences.

We should do the same and remain ambassadors for the passion we share. Remember, many of those who speak negatively have a deeper desire to be convinced the behavior is acceptable. Once they find we belong to a large community within an even larger community, the fever is easily passed on. It's much easier for we who ride a sport-touring bike than those who belong to the "straight pipe" crowd......IF we see a bigger picture and act accordingly. I'll always make time to speak to others in a gas station or restaurant. Any friend-ally we can make who is part of the voting public, the better for all of us.

YMMV.

MM2 has some good points. I understand where you're coming from. I did think of some of the things that maybe made him act this way; however, if this person would have stopped and talked to me and explained why he thought this, I'm sure it would have been a nice discussion. Since he felt it his job to preach to me his opinion while on the fly, I had no patience for him and his diatribe after 11 hours at work.

I have had many people tell me horror stories, that's OK, I can deal with it. I personally have lost friends and know others that to this day are in a vegetative state from a motorcycle accident. I understand, and I sympathies with those people that don't get it and their plight to tell people. The delivery this guy made was poor at best. Mine wasn't much better but hey….

You're right they will never understand, but I'm open to discuss why they think that way and give them my opinions too. This guy had no time, just time enough to voice his issue with me in his strange way.

No excuse though. Thanks for the wise words MM2.

If you've never enjoyed a ride on a bike, how can you know why riders take the risks they do? Most of the people on this forum seem well aware that our favorite pastime is not benign. We do what we can to minimize the risk e.g. ATGATT, regular training and practice, sober riding, constant awareness, but we do acknowledge the risk.

The payback is in the thrill of the ride. Feeling the bike zip smoothly away from a standstill, using subtle and gentle techniques to ease rider and machine into turns, feeling the wind in your face, exploring beautiful roads and appreciating being 'in' the scenery rather than watching it through the frame of a windscreen. Who has pulled up at a light, alongside a car with kids in the back seat, and seen their smiles? Then seen the smiles just glow when the rider waves to kids. You just can't explain those things to people who don't want to understand.

A wonderful example of open mindedness is a neurosurgeon that I work with. For years, he has rebuilt broken heads and spines, often as a result of MC accidents. One day, he got to thinking that there must be something that drives these people to embrace what they must understand to be a risky activity. He decided to try it for himself, to see what it was all about. He now owns a HD and two Triumphs. He knows!!!

...The payback is in the thrill of the ride. Feeling the bike zip smoothly away from a standstill, using subtle and gentle techniques to ease rider and machine into turns, feeling the wind in your face, exploring beautiful roads and appreciating being 'in' the scenery rather than watching it through the frame of a windscreen. ....
The blood's leaving me brain.

...The payback is in the thrill of the ride. Feeling the bike zip smoothly away from a standstill, using subtle and gentle techniques to ease rider and machine into turns, feeling the wind in your face, exploring beautiful roads and appreciating being 'in' the scenery rather than watching it through the frame of a windscreen. ....
The blood's leaving me brain.
What brain....? :rofl:

I'm an EMT for a local volunteer ambulance service and I get it all the time: "I can't believe you are an EMT and still ride a motorcycle". I usually respond that I've been on more dead people in car crashes than I have on motorcycle crashes.

I like the "Death Ray" humor. :D

You might want to "bone up" on some facts for the next opportunity to talk with someone:
Leading causes of death

Top 10 causes of accidental death

Note: #1: CAR crashes....

and look at #9: Getting hit by a car....IOW, walking!

Baffle them with facts rather than trying to win them by feelings.
Interesting stats. I'm always leery of the "causes of death" that include some huge number of deaths from cardiovascular problems. There's never a column for "old age" or "he died because he was really old". If your pumper finally quits at 104, you're still listed as "heart attach". Go figure. The "accidental deaths" part is good!

Back on topic, this attitude is exactly what we all (opposite of ya'll) had to fight when we tried to get the Lane Sharing bill thur the legislature this year. None of the Senators on the panel had a clue about riding, much less riding safely. The only thing they could relate to were the 1% hooligan and crusier images shown by Faux News in Austin. So of course they thought We were ALL idiots.

Gee you don't even know how to spell Fox just shows how stupid us bikers are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon if you quit wearing the pussy looking yellow jacket and get some real riding gear then people wouldn't mess with you. :D

My brother in law was giving me crap about riding and I finally told him you have to have some balls to ride. You obviously don't have any.

Next time he says "Death Ray", just smile and say "Beats death by cubicle". :p