Personal gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the IBR "basic rules" Section B "Equipment" the term "appropriate riding clothing"

I have only one rally under my belt and that was a MERA event. I was wondering what that term specifically meant.

I remember following the '11 IBR, an IBR staffer came up on a rider and snapped a picture. They then published the photo

and explained "Yes, they had gloves on" What are specific rules ? Are they published ? Is it "Common sense"?

I don't want to be disqualified due to misinterpretation.

Is it "Common sense"?I don't want to be disqualified due to misinterpretation.
I believe if you have a relatively modern helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, and pants that cover your skin....you'll be fine. Show up with your Easy Rider helmet that you took off your chicken bar before you entered the parking lot, tennis shoes, and a cotton jacket that your grandfather wore in his motorcycle club....I think you'd be laughed at first and then taken aside. I think Common Sense prevails on this one.

In the IBR "basic rules" Section B "Equipment" the term "appropriate riding clothing"I have only one rally under my belt and that was a MERA event. I was wondering what that term specifically meant.

I remember following the '11 IBR, an IBR staffer came up on a rider and snapped a picture. They then published the photo

and explained "Yes, they had gloves on" What are specific rules ? Are they published ? Is it "Common sense"?

For the record I believe the picture you are refering to was a rider during the IBR, specifically on I10 in west Texas in the middle of a brutally hot afternoon..... I know because the rider was me. It was posted on the day 10 report. I was wearing deerskin gloves at the time. I believe that they wanted to highlight the fact I had gloves on due to the fact the tan colour of the gloves looked alot like skin. My guess is that they wanted to make the statement to avoid any kind of PR issue if someone was to think that I was not wearing gloves. Like Matt said, modern gear is all you need and a little common sense.

In the IBR "basic rules" Section B "Equipment" the term "appropriate riding clothing"I have only one rally under my belt and that was a MERA event. I was wondering what that term specifically meant.

For the record I believe the picture you are refering to was a rider during the IBR, specifically on I10 in west Texas in the middle of a brutally hot afternoon..... I know because the rider was me. It was posted on the day 10 report. I was wearing deerskin gloves at the time. I believe that they wanted to highlight the fact I had gloves on due to the fact the tan colour of the gloves looked alot like skin. My guess is that they wanted to make the statement to avoid any kind of PR issue if someone was to think that I was not wearing gloves. Like Matt said, modern gear is all you need and a little common sense.
Your picture was the one, but for sake of explanation: what if you were eating and had your gloves off for a short time?

Sorry for the questions, but I do take my gloves off for certain tasking. I would find a way to leave them on IF that were required!

Your picture was the one, but for sake of explanation: what if you were eating and had your gloves off for a short time?Sorry for the questions, but I do take my gloves off for certain tasking. I would find a way to leave them on IF that were required!
Gawd I hope they don't have spies looking for gloves off! If I left my gloves on all the time....I'd shake hands with somebody and the glove would stay with them.

I think there's 18 other things to worry about more including keeping your shit in one sock...or devising a way to recollect spilled spatter.

The only spy thing I've heard of is at Palouse Falls in '03 or so and making sure people didn't snap their picture before 7:00:00 a.m.