Petey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the pictures and being there for the rest of us folks who could not make it in person.
db
Ditto... I was out riding with Jim/spklbuk for the past two days and Petey was definitely with us in the wind and heavy on my mind and hear.
wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
ALSO... I failed to mention...

The family mentioned it many times, they were very moved that fellow riders came from all across the country to share their sentiments... from South Carolina to Arizona... even our friends in Australia sent their love. Good job, my friends.

I just heard about Petey at the PNW tech meet; been a bit busy and not frequenting the forum as much. I think I first met him in 09 in Moscow. Niehart pointed him out and said something to the effect of you wouldnt guess but that old guy can ride the pants off most of the younger bucks. Petey was a legend, and I am better for having met him many times over the years. RIP Petey.

I hung up the last picture in my office cubicle just to remind me there is more to life.

Thank you, Petey

Dave

I was supposed to trailer my KTM to Petey's house a few days before hooterville to pre-ride the area with just him and Marty. After losing Petey I wasn't even sure I wanted to go but realized I need to go for him and me. Rode the hippo instead of trailering out. On my way across Nevada, Vi texted me with wishes for a safe ride and how Peter was looking forward to my visit to their home. I was deeply touched she would take the time to text me.

I knew I had to meet her so I made arrangements to ride by their home in Oklahoma on my way back to California. It was easy to find with the Green Bay Packers flags in the front yard. We had a wonderful visit for a few hours and I made a point of letting her know Petey had a quite a few friends on the west coast who just loved the guy and that we were at his service in spirit. She shared how Petey once told her he knew a rider in every state.

She made me some apple crisp, ice cream and coffee. She handed me the little sugar packages from hotels Petey stayed and always brought some home- we had a good laugh over that. With a big hug and a few tears it was time for me to go. Once again proof that mc riders are smart enough to marry up.

I first met Petey at the WFO in Reno. We met on one of the tight twisty roads up there and we had a 'spirited' ride back to the hotel. We met several times after that and we had corresponded regarding our

R1200RS's.

I consider him him a friend and will miss him.

I hope I'm not being inappropriate, but does anyone know or want to share what happened?

I first met Petey at the WFO in Reno. We met on one of the tight twisty roads up there and we had a 'spirited' ride back to the hotel. We met several times after that and we had corresponded regarding ourR1200RS's.

I consider him him a friend and will miss him.

I hope I'm not being inappropriate, but does anyone know or want to share what happened?
What is known. Marty was leading, Petey in second and Ken in third. Marty checked his mirror and Petey was not there so he turned around and went back to the accident scene within a few minutes. Both riders were down in a corner and sadly Petey struck some large wooden posts. Ken had an injury to his ankle and had no short term memory of what happened (perhaps a concussion from his crash). The road was dry and clean. Marty told me it was not a difficult corner and we know Petey can handle his machine.

I doubt we will ever know if it was a medical issue (Petey did have some stints in his heart) or did the riders come together? At this point it really does not matter to me. We do know Petey left us in an instant doing what he loved and did not suffer before passing away.

I watched both my parents and now an older brother do long term time in convalescent hospitals. That sucks big time so it's a small reassurance for me to know Petey had a smile on his face moments before he departed .

Everyday is a gift, live it.

I haven't been around the forum much in recent years, and didn't see this until this morning. Sorry to be rehashing but feel like I need to say something.

I met Petey on the road outside Salt Lake City as we were heading into Reno for WFO. First memory of him was changing our oil that night at a hotel off US50. We roomed together in Reno and spent the better part of the rally riding together. Fast friends- I think that characterizes his relationship with many of us here. I learned a lot chasing him around. We had an often high spirited but leisurely ride back east together, and I spent a couple of nights in Stillwater. I have many stories I tell and fond memories from that trip.

Hard to lose someone like Petey. He was an easy man to know and to love, and an accomplished rider. Hate to think of him gone, but hope when it's my time, I exit this life in a similar way.

RIP, Petey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts