Phone, GPS, MP3 Inputs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I am looking for a decent means of being able to hear tunes, answer phone calls (needs microphone setup) and hear my GPS spoken instructions. I will need a system that provides decent audio quality that I can use with either earbuds or helmet speakers. (I have read where some people have modified systems to be able to switch from helmet speakers to earphones) I don't need driver-pillion or bike-to-bike communications. A system that enables Bluetooth direct input from two or more sources would be good, but would also require the ability to plug directly from up to two devices. Wouldn't complain if it had FM radio as well. Might be able to combine GPS and MP3 to one input and although many GPS units will connect a Bluetooth phone, I'm not sure how to work it with a mike for talking. Most of the systems I see are focussed on communications but I don't need it and don't want to pay for it.

I have been doing a lot of reading and searching and I think I may be more confused than when I started. Don't want to spend a ton of money.

Ross

I use a chatterbox XBi for a similar setup. I have it connected via bluetooth to my Ipod, and to my phone. It can also accept a wired input for the MP3 player. It works fairly well, though I wasn't too impressed with the included helmet speakers. It will accept standard headphones so long as you don't need to use the microphone. No FM radio.

link

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for a decent means of being able to hear tunes, answer phone calls (needs microphone setup) and hear my GPS spoken instructions. I will need a system that provides decent audio quality that I can use with either earbuds or helmet speakers. (I have read where some people have modified systems to be able to switch from helmet speakers to earphones) I don't need driver-pillion or bike-to-bike communications. A system that enables Bluetooth direct input from two or more sources would be good, but would also require the ability to plug directly from up to two devices. Wouldn't complain if it had FM radio as well. Might be able to combine GPS and MP3 to one input and although many GPS units will connect a Bluetooth phone, I'm not sure how to work it with a mike for talking. Most of the systems I see are focussed on communications but I don't need it and don't want to pay for it.
I have been doing a lot of reading and searching and I think I may be more confused than when I started. Don't want to spend a ton of money.

Ross

I'm looking for the same thing Ross. If I find something, I'll let you know. The Chatterbox seems to be what most people are using, I agree with you that bike to bike communication is a non-issue.

I have been kicking the tires on the Sena SMH10 for a couple of weeks now and I am pretty impressed with it. It does have an aux input (for MP3 players or other inputs), but I have chosen to continue to use my Etymotics er6i's connected directly to my mp3 player. I like the set up because I still get the earplug / noise isolation benefit from the earplugs, but I can still hear the phone through the speakers over the earplugs when I need to.

Here is my review so far: clicky.

Mix-It2 product will do most of what you want and at a reasonable cost, customer service is top notch.

I run V1 Radar Detector, I-POD and GPS audio thru Mix-It2 to a set of ER6-I earbuds and it has worked well for two years.

Last edited by a moderator: