Phone mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicrocker

Reaction score
Hi everyone!, first post here.
I have my "new to me" 2009 FJR, and want to put a phone mount on. I have a Galaxy note 10+, and currently have an otterbox defender case on it. What do you suggest I do for a phone mount setup, (without changing my current case)?
TIA

I just put a Kewig M14A (wireless charging) on both my bikes. Holds phone (IPhone 13 Pro Max w/ Incipio grip case) securely & wirelessly charges at a good rate. Very happy with it.

1654580764719.jpeg

Last edited:
I understand the convenience of mounting your phone on the handlebars to use it as a GPS, music player or even as a video camera. Personally, I would choose to NOT use my $1000+ phone in this manner. First of all, it is vulnerable to direct physical damage - birds or even bugs. Not to mention thieves unless you are fastidious about removing it any time you away from the bike for even a few moments. Even if it is safely tucked behind your shield, vibration has been reported to severely damage phone cameras - a quick search brings up all sorts of hits. You may get away with it but do you feel lucky?

https://www.howtogeek.com/755708/how-vibrations-can-ruin-your-iphone-or-android-camera/
Mounted directly to the handlebars, the unit gets undamped vibrations. Far more than in the pocket of your jacket. At least we aren't riding thumpers or Harleys!

Last edited:
Used several brands of mounts. Switched to Quad Lock with their vibration dampener. Too many options to list without sounding like a salesman. But we have 6 bikes and one phone mount brand now.

Only possible downside I’ve found for some is you need to use their case. My son pops his phone in and out of cases while wife and I just stuck with the Quad lock case.

0BA1AB55-1436-41B3-8456-17172AB09F6E.jpegUsed several brands of mounts. Switched to Quad Lock with their vibration dampener. Too many options to list without sounding like a salesman. But we have 6 bikes and one phone mount brand now.

Only possible downside I’ve found for some is you need to use their case. My son pops his phone in and out of cases while wife and I just stuck with the Quad lock case.

Using a 1” Ram or GPS ball mount because it came with bike in combo with Quad lock on FJR, but included other pics too.

Attachments

• E132DEE4-EFB0-4608-A7B2-5F42237E95E8.jpeg
    E132DEE4-EFB0-4608-A7B2-5F42237E95E8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • F6D3E483-2087-4BE1-840A-028DCE806913.jpeg
    F6D3E483-2087-4BE1-840A-028DCE806913.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • F905F3BB-9AF4-442A-A657-602F6BB47751.jpeg
    F905F3BB-9AF4-442A-A657-602F6BB47751.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I use a Ram X-Grip with an iPhone 11 but not sure it would fit if I had an Otterbox Defender case. Ram mounts offers at least two if not three different phone mounts though. I like the fact you can take the plastic plug out of the bike's clutch master cylinder and screw a ram ball directly into it, assuming the master cylinder on the '09 is the same as on my '14.

I've used the ram x mounts with good results. No phone damage, but I don't buy $1000 phones;)

Quad lock works great for me and has for 3 seasons! I upgraded to the charging mount, this way my phone charges while mounted and maps are on. Have it mounted on a ball mount nut from steering head. I also use the quad lock windshield mount in my truck that I had an issue with, customer service was prompt and sent me replacement products after I sent them video of the issue. I do use the quad lock phone case 24/7, has protected my Samsung S10 and s21 phones well with no issues. This was a substantial upgrade from the ram x I was using. Much more positive and secure mounting of the phone and easier to operate.

I welded up my own made from 1/8" steel to mount using the 2 front tank mount bolts. These bolts are long with wide heads , easily support this. Along with spring Ram mount which I consider the strongest to hold iphone 5 & 6, 7, 8 size and latest SE. The 3" RAM extension gets it lined up. I drilled a hole approx. 3.5" up for RAM ball. If you have risers you'll need a higher design than mine. 4" at least.

Attachments

• phone mount.jpg
    phone mount.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Plus 1 on the Ram Quick Grip. I got the threaded ball (1/4" i think) that screwed into the unused mirror mount on the clutch fluid reservoir. You can also drill and tap the cap nut on the steering head if you want it centered. The benefit is you can use any case, or none if you choose. Quad lock is nice, but sends you down their proprietary rabbit hole, plus I wasn't a fan of the bump.

I'm using a Tac form mount. Easy to move from fj to drz. Mounted a ball to the windshield bracket, and used the 7 1/2 extension. Puts my old phone that I use for gps right in line of sight so I don't have to look away from road to see.IMG_20220613_084408.jpgIMG_20220613_084601.jpg

Follow on from previous post:

We experienced the iPhone camera stabilization issue once. Not sure exactly the full cause but as mentioned switch to quad lock for the damper option they provide. Peace of mind and someone to go too if we experience the issue again.

Yes the case makes it somewhat proprietary but we have mixed a Ram ball mount with an adjustable arm.

I also like switching from portait to landscape view on the fly if wanted. Nothing is perfect but we have very good results and experienced excellent customer service the one time we called.