Photo Previews of EOM 2015 Dual Sport Routes (FJR content too)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spklbuk

Reaction score
A few of us are considering riding dual sports at EOM. This photo essay is from a scouting trip to the Western VA Highlands easily accessible from Lewisburg.

Big Ridge/Cove Mountain Road. To the VDOT grader operator, you sir are a true craftsman for this road to have remained in such good shape after July’s monsoons.

Stopped in Paint Bank across the street for a chocolate milk and a granola bar lunch break.

Waiteville, WV

In Waiteville looking back to Peters Mtn from the west toe of Potts Mtn

Johns Creek Mtn seen from the mouth of Dick’s Creek Road in Maggie, VA

Johns Creek Valley ranks 13 on a 10 point scenery scale.

EOM 2015 FJR ROUTE NOTE for a slowdown and smell the roses 2-up tour: Johns Creek Road is HIGHLY recommended after riding VA311S out of Lewisburg. Plan to include a meal at the Swinging Bridge in the Paint Bank General Store along this loop. Be sure to take VA358 at the Blacksburg pointer sign. VA358 takes you to Cumberland Gap Road VA42 which is a great ride north across the eastern continental divide back to New Castle where you can have a go at VA311N. Or you can head south on VA42, pick up US460W along the New River and at Rich Creek take US219N back to Lewisburg. Both choices are highly scenic and the riding is none too shabby.

Miss the VA358 turn on your FJR and you will end up here…

Bound for the Appalachian Trail crossing atop Johns Creek Mountain

Snowflake awaits patiently as I stop half way up to find a tree

To say the grade steepens from here to the top is an understatement

Appalachian Trail crosses Rocky Gap Trail without fan fare

Up for a little dirty dancing?

Cold trailing for a bit first though. The end of what I believe is Doe Mtn where it is dissected by the New River as seen from Mtn Lake Road Overlook

Up the New River Valley or US460E toward Hokie-land

Testing Snowflake’s spiffy new early warning system

Back on the Dirty Dancing hot track: Mtn Lake Lodge

A traffic jam on Mountain Lake Road

Aspiring biologists headed home from a day of experiential learning

A few miles of more challenging riding as I head west back over Peters Mtn

Rest stop on top of Peters Mtn

Gap Mills Valley east

Gap Mills Valley west

One last glance back at Peters Mtn and it was time to set sail for home back across Kate’s Mtn to close my loop

Not quite riding to the bone, but working toward it.

This is a true dual sport route with a balance of about 50/50 paved to graded gravel and dirt. Dirt surfaces are easy to moderate. Crowder Road on the Waiteville side is more challenging. The route immerses a rider in spell-binding scenery from start to finish and it is hard not to rubber neck. A slower pace to allow taking it in is highly recommended.

There too many ways to modify this route. Y’all know we are going to have more than we can ride, so you just as well start thinking about returning to WV!

Seeing how I missed FODS-WV, it looks like I'm gonna have to find some way to bring both bikes down.

Two questions - is that a DRZ hiding under all those aftermarket goodies? Kinda look like it from the front sprocket cover. And is that Crowder Road like in Boyd and Dewie Crowder from Justified? I loved that show....

Last edited by a moderator:
Spklbuk, that's some beautiful stuff. If you have some, post up some pretty roads with asphalt on it. I want to plan a few "must ride" roads. Oh! And don't forget to bring a jar or two of the stuff you posted in the alcoholic section of the EOM main thread. :D

Two questions - is that a DRZ hiding under all those aftermarket goodies? Kinda look like it from the front sprocket cover. And is that Crowder Road like in Boyd and Dewie Crowder from Justified? I loved that show....
DR6fiddy

And
punk.gif
on Crowder Road...Boyd and Dewie hang out on top.

Spklbuk, that's some beautiful stuff. If you have some, post up some pretty roads with asphalt on it. I want to plan a few "must ride" roads. Oh! And don't forget to bring a jar or two of the stuff you posted in the alcoholic section of the EOM main thread.
biggrin.png
Follow the 2007 / 2008 EOM routes that will likely be posted when the official site is up. You will not be disappointed.

And there is a FJR programming note in the middle of the current post worth reading.

Alcohol?
banned.gif
That was cherry juice. Comes in strawberry too.

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

Are any of those roads FJR worthy? In other words, would an Arky goober or a motivated SC wannabe be able to ride those without developing fork leaks or bend a header pipe on them?

I already told him I'd be on my POSKLR.

FODSEOM....
smile.png

You need another bike Wheatie.....

edit:

I know of one. My buddy's DRZ400. He doesn't ride enough. YOU should own it...

I can bring it with me.

10-02-10018.jpg

Are any of those roads FJR worthy? In other words, would an Arky goober or a motivated SC wannabe be able to ride those without developing fork leaks or bend a header pipe on them?
^^^^^^^^see rushes post^^^^^^^^^

All of the paved portions are FJR doable. Riding VA311S to John's Creek Road and then exiting by VA358 is highly recommended. Some of the gravel is doable, but most would not be much fun. Sooo, see rushes post!

I don't know what I would do with that bike. I've only ridden bikes that weigh over 600lbs. I might get hurt or sumpin on that light bike. :)

Awesome routes there Jim!

I already told him I'd be on my POSKLR.

FODSEOM....
smile.png

As I said to Mr. Bungie earlier...seeing is believing young man.
bleh.gif
My 6th grandchild is due the end of September in East Asia.

I told them I'm not leaving the country until after EOM.

As far as I know, I'm still the boss...

edit:

The wife is there now, and they don't seem to be missing me much, so I think I'm good to go....
smile.png

Ya wus! I didn't see anything he posted that my FJR hasn't been on... 'cept for that log in one pic.... clearly you need more practice following Billy Fitz and myself when we suddenly find ourselves on a goat path out in the back woods....... hate the loose gravel though.

Ya wus! I didn't see anything he posted that my FJR hasn't been on... 'cept for that log in one pic.... clearly you need more practice following Billy Fitz and myself when we suddenly find ourselves on a goat path out in the back woods....... hate the loose gravel though.
I understand that is what Canuks thrive on but I'll pay a small fee to video you and Billy riding Crowder Road on FJRs when it is wet!! I have no pics of that reach b/c I was too busy takin' care o' business.

The rest of it, yeah likely could be done, but not much fun for rider or machine. There are plenty of paved backroad options to take an FJR into the same territory with no strain.

But yeah, Wheatie is a wus!
cold.gif

Potts Mountain North - West Central VA Highlands Round 2

Gentleman start your engine.

Harts Run Road pure paved fun!

From SE WV, Crowder Road is a dual sport gateway to the west central VA Highlands. [Those who prefer pavement should check out Limestone Hill Road. And don’t forget to hike to Hanging Rock Observatory, it is just a little ways uphill to where it levels off
smile.png
]

Either road will take you over Peters Mountain

With pleasure when dry and comes out near Waiteville, Monroe County, WV

Trout Run skirts south of Paint Bank as a short cut to the west slope of Potts Mtn

To dump out on VA311S not far below the towers

Where I’m headed; Johns and Dick Creek Valleys from Potts Mtn Wayside

Lunch was an unpolished trail mix that had been along on a few trips including thrice melted chocolate chips…scrumptious!

FS604.2 bears south along the east slope under Potts Mtn Wayside

Leads south off Potts Mtn toward here. Maggie, VA is the common point of the Mtn Lake area route and Potts Mtn north route.

A few miles north of Maggie on Johns Creek Road [NOTE: DO NOT take Pioneer Trail, you will piss in someone’s Wheaties. Don’t ask how I know. Tub Run is a couple of miles further north.]

The paved twisties on VA311 have nothing on Tub Road Road. Get in too big of a hurry on the 15 mile Tub Run Road and you too will soon lose your color too.

A couple of hours later…hey haven’t we been here before?

Yep. But this time we are headed up the mountain to Sweet Springs Turnpike

The entrance to Potts Mtn Jeep Trail. I’ll leave that one for the heroes

Sweet Springs Turnpike to Potts Mtn Road to VA 607 will soon take you to Sweet Road. I concur.

A butt break at the intersect of Sweet Road and Hickory Hill

Snake Run Road to the Kanawha Trail VA311S to Cove Mtn Road

Sweet Valley looks a lot like Almost Heaven and will be in a couple of miles

At the end of Cove Mtn Road a zig through Pedro, a zag through Glace and Jones Mtn to Harts Run Road closes the loop where this adventure began.

Route mileage for Potts Mtn north is nearly dead even with the first run to Mtn Lake area. Thought the scenery is none too shabby, Potts Mtn North can't compete with the Mtn Lake area. But it more than makes up for it in good riding. Highly recommended.

+1

Move that one log and I'm good to go on the FJR.

+1

Move that one log and I'm good to go on the FJR.
Check. Lay out a route to the Potts Mtn Jeep Trail for the Canuks b/c les north wind is blowing steady.

Note to self: borrow a video camera, this is gonna be good!

Note to Canuks, bring an extra nosepiece or two.