PIAA slim horns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelbum

Reaction score
 Just put a pair of PIAA slim  horns on the bike got to use it the first day some lady in a truck pulling out in front of me she almost pissed her self ..

It was an easy fix but I have a question on the right side looking at the bike from the front you can use the bracket that’s  already there for the horn but on the left side had to use the radiator grille cover bolt has anyone made up a bracket or know of a bracket I can use to get it off the cover 

I bought the 'similar' Freeway Blaster horns @ NAPA.  2 different frequencies and sounds like my Buick.

I seem to remember it came with a small L mounting bracket in the box.  Or you can make one from a 90' bracket. 

Run a second wire over the radiator and wrap it well (wet spot).  No extra electronics required.

I love seeing folks wake up!  Just watch out for the idiot that chooses to ignore you  ...   BTDT. 

I got the FIAMM horns.  Yes, it was easy on my '06 as there were two factory mounts.  For the '16, I modified one of the brackets that came with the horn for the now vacant side.  I think I had to cut it down and maybe drill a new hole, but it worked fine. 

I put the dual Fiamm horns on my 2016 as one of the first upgrades I did to the bike in the first month after I bought it.  I used them on the highway about a week after I installed them as an SUV was coming into my lane that was next to me.   He obviously did not see me.  The horns woke him up and he steered back into his lane.  I don't believe he would have hears the anemic stock horn.  Plus with people on their phones more than ever now I believe it is just a nice/inexpensive upgrade. 

I am very glad I did this and would recommend it to anyone.  Hope this helps,  Joe

There is only one mounting bracket and horn on the 2016. Where did you mount the second horn?

My fiamm failed. Started fading and sounding weird. Power was good. Concluded it couldn’t handle the wet riding i was doing. 

Replaces with the PIAA sport pair. Mounted to both top corners of the radiator. I don’t think I had to add anything except for the bridge wire connectors. Had to order connectors and crimp them on. 

I am trying to wire in a custom. Air horn onto my 09 FJR. It seems impossible but I am getting a 12 positive on both oem horn wires. Has any one else seen this issue?

It's not an issue if your horns aren't beeping all the time 😉

We tend to think that all the switches and relays on vehicles work like house light switches: an open switch breaks the power circuit TO the load, be it a light or whatever.  Not so on vehicles.  Many times 12V dc positive is applied to the load all the time and the switch closing completes the circuit to ground/chassis/12V dc negative AFTER the load.

rbentnail is right on the switching of the horn circuit.

I assume you plan to run the air horn off a relay.  The circuit will not supply sufficient current to run most air horns.

I put the pair of PIAA horns on my 2020.  Pulled the factory on the right (when facing) direct bolt to where that was.  On the left, the spot is already there, just no factory horn.  Two Wheel Obsession (youtuber and FJR owner/rider) has a vid on the installation of these. 

PIAA Dual Horn Upgrade

Just put a set of ebay 2002 Goldwing horns (though I've read any GL1500/1800 will fit) on my bike, and it also sounds like an old buick!  $16 a piece.  All I needed to do, was rotate the bracket on the back of the horns 90 degrees to accommodate the wiring and bob's your uncle.  The fit perfect in the inner faring plastic.

I installed a pair of PIAA sport horns day one and they get people's attention for sure. 

All of this took place in about three seconds.  Neighborhood kid was on his bicycle, he was 7 at the time, he saw me coming down the street slowly and he got the bad idea of cutting me off.  I jumped on the brakes and stop, he's maybe five feet in front of me, he looks over his shoulder looking at me with the huge smile on his face.  I give him a long blast of the horns, his face instantly turns to complete fear, he drops his bike right there in the street and runs home crying/screaming.  I did feel bad for him, sort of, but it was hard to tell because I was laughing and Mom was pissed at me.  He never did it again and she never spoke to me again, win win.  So where am I going with this??  Not only are PIAA horns loud but the can also teach life lessons. 😁