Picking up bike in Myrtle Beach next week and riding to Western NC

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHredliner

Reaction score
Looking to ride some of the best that the area has to offer. I have only ridden the NE and mostly all over NH, VT and ME so this is "bucket list" stuff for me! Plus picking up my 2nd FJR a 2015es is really exciting! 

Have an old friend that I was going to stay with in Asheville and he just bailed on me so I am putting together my camping gear and hoping for decent weather. In my research I have found several campgrounds along or near the BRP that are only for motorcyclists and $15/night for tentsites. Seems reasonable enough to me.

A few concerns I have are the heat and getting stuck in really bad rain. In the case of the latter I would probably hunker down in a motel. Really trying not to spend a bunch of money on lodging unless I absolutely need to. Mostly I just need a shower and decent food. Living in NH we don't often get too hot but recently I have ridden a few days in the low to mid 90's and even stopping for gas or construction was pretty oppressive. I do always wear boots, jacket, gloves and helmet. Recently I got a mesh jacket and I have a neotec helmet and when it is that hot I just ride with it open. 

Hope to pick up the bike next Tuesday and head west for at least 3 or 4 days and then north into VA. Thinking I could camp in VA for a night and PA for a night and then head to my folks house in upstate NY and a few days there before heading home. I have only fidden a few 300 mile days this season so I probably won't want to push it much beyond that and really hope to avoid the slab as much as possible unless I really feel a need to make time.

Appreciate any input/ advice. Maybe connect for some riding with anyone in the area who is available?

My advice is to beat feet west/WNW from Myrtle Beach as quickly and as early as possible.  From Myrtle Beach to the cooler elevations is about 5 hrs on the hwy so don't dawdle!  It runs 6-10 deg. cooler so get there!  Nowadays, down here in the flats, we're running 94-98 deg.  With a mesh jacket the best I've found is to have a bottle of water on board to warm up some.  Wet your shirt and wear your jacket, you'll be good for 45-60 mins.  Stop often, drink your fluids! 

Check out Hwy 9 from North Myrtle.  It goes all the way to Black Mountain, NC.  Decent road, I've ridden the entire length.  Once you start getting up in the hills above Spartanburg/Greenville it'll cool off but it'll be hot, hot, hot all the way. 

Bring your rain gear.  We get daily showers and thunderstorms down this way.  They're isolated and generally fairly brief but they can be torrential.

Good advice! Might even consider riding at night? I'll be picking the bike up via rental car from Richmond. My sister lives there but comes north to visit our parents every weekend in upstate NY. Planning on leaving my current bike at their home and riding down to Richmond with her and then pick up the car to take me to MB. Going to be interesting for sure! 

Leaving at night is an option but it's a trade-off depending on your personal risk assessment.  Once out of the city the deer are abundant and one must be extremely diligent.  OTOH the Low Country heat comes on early and is relentless.  Going NNW towards Spartanburg/Asheville it is not unusual to be in 90+ by 10am or so.  So if you can comfortably cut a couple hrs of heat off that then by all means do it. 

Looks like I wont be able to pick up the rental car in Richmond till 6am. That would put me in MB around 12-1. Definitely going to be hot!

Looking at taking route 9 to Bat Cave and get on 64 toward the mountains and find a good place to camp and ride for a few days. Will need some wi-fi between midnight Friday and noon on Saturday to file for my unemployment. Once it runs out I'll likely be "retired"  Really hoping I can find a base camp at enough elevation that it will be a bit cooler. Swimming would be a plus too!

Just booked a room for Friday 7/29- Sunday 8/1 in Robbinsville. Just for peace of mind. $180 for 2 night seems reasonable. May stick around the area longer or head up the Parkway into VA?

When you get your wifi, check the the federal BRP website for the latest updates.  There were closed sections around Roanoke, VA a couple weeks ago and fresh chip seal around Stuart, VA. 

Thanks, I have been keeping an eye on it. Likely I will camp a night or two in VA along or near the parkway. As of now it appears that campgrounds on the pkwy. are closed. I see that there are many campgrounds in the area that cater to riders. Thinking I may take two days from VA to my folks house near Saratoga with a night somewhere in PA?  Getting super excited!

We sure do like Hungry Mother State park. Little pricey for a tent site but pretty good restaurant. Check for virus modifications. Be sure to avoid VA16 from Marion to Tazewell and VA311 through Paint Bank, and the Paint Bank General Store. Nothing but misery, these places.