Pickup Rotor Cover Oil leak.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrbird

Reaction score
I noticed oil leak around the bottom of the pickup rotor cover on my gen II 06 with around 40k miles. I did valve check last year but did not change the rotor cover gasket (should I?). Perhaps the gasket is now out of service? Any other possible cause? Appreciate your inputs.
smile.png

Dai

I noticed oil leak around the bottom of the pickup rotor cover on my gen II 06 with around 40k miles. I did valve check last year but did not change the rotor cover gasket (should I?). Perhaps the gasket is now out of service? Any other possible cause? Appreciate your inputs.
smile.png
Dai
Procedure as outlined in the FSM requires a new gasket whenever the rotor cover is removed.

Yeah. I figured that is a miss on my part. I googled the gasket and part number comes up with different name 'oil pump cover gasket' instead of 'pickup rotor cover gasket'. I guess it refers to the same thing thru the part diagram.

You might get away without changing it (or not). I have had mine off three (or four) times and am still using the original gasket. (always have one waiting in the wings, just in case) The only other thing to check is that you don't have a wire (i.e. O2 sensor) pinched in the cover. DAMHIK

You might get away without changing it (or not). I have had mine off three (or four) times and am still using the original gasket. (always have one waiting in the wings, just in case) The only other thing to check is that you don't have a wire (i.e. O2 sensor) pinched in the cover. DAMHIK
Oh that makes me feel better. I'm pretty sure the last time I put it back in very carefully and tighten the screws in the crisscross pattern so not to tilt the cover one way or another. Anyway I would order one and see if the gasket needs to be replaced when I open it up.

I'd replace the oil pump gasket each time the cover comes off. While you *might* get away with reuse, for a couple $$$ it's not worth it.

YMMV

--G