Pics from my trip to Black Hills

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Pics Carlson!

The roads are great there. Good you went off season. Love the picture by the unnel. Makes you really wonder how the tour busses make it.

As for bombing I-90, I have had mixed results. I have made that trip 3 times on my Feejer. Each time I had a wicked crosswind and one of the trips I felt lucky to make it home in one piece. Went out there on one trip on US14 and split the ride into 2 days. Felt much better when I got there. Did have to have that extra day to do it though.

You are right. The canyon and other roads you mentioned are fantastic. Needles and Iron Mountain are very dramatic and must be done a few times to take much of it in. Watch out for those buffalo in Custer. They don't care how big you think you are.

mr.paul, from Minnesota

Hwy 44 traversing South Dakota below I-90 looks to have somewhat of a scenic route to the Black Hills from The Twin Cities. The town of Armour, SD which lies about half way along the route has a no-fee campground that looks good for splitting a trip with an overnight stay there.

Nice. I remember riding those roads 100 years ago.....on my CB900C. Those pics were the reasons I left city hell, in the summers to go touring the really nice parts of the country. Someday......

Very nice pics Carlson
smile.png

Out of all, the one I really wanna replicate (with myself of course!)....

It's like the butt crack meets the... well u know :)

DSCN9607.jpg

I got HD friends who ride the Black Hills when they go out to Sturgis SD in August. I always hear how great it is... and that's them putt-putting and with no helmets, I always multiply the fun-factor when I envision the more aggressive sportier riding we do. (but still slow down once in awhile for some Kodak moments like above^) NICE STUFFF!

I ran the Needles Highway twice now and it is always a treat along with Custer State Park but you would have to point a gun at me to make me ride that area during the rally. I think Ray wants to head out that way and take in a few other treats like Windy Ridge over at Mt. St. Helens. I've never been to Nor Cal so it might be time to take that in also. CFR will probably be pushed back next year according to the "Rallymaster", Huron52.

It's not going to happen this year but July or September next year maybe. Depends on dates for SW-FOG, WCR, EOM, Might spend the summer on the road hitting all the rallies. I just did the valve checks so I'm good for another 30k miles. Remember we also have to fit NAFO (CFO) into this.

exactly guys off season is best. But yes do anything you can to get out there. Get into those good roads leaning over rippin' on it you won't want to be anywhere else.

I'm heading out there in a couple of weeks. Meeting up with a buddy from MN and going to check out a lot of the area. We will be staying in Custer but also a planning a run in to Sturgis. After seeing Pics from that area , I am STOKED to go !!

don't forget to ride through 87 from 16 all the way south through Wind Cave National Park! often ignored with the other roads in the area but an awesome road! That's also where the herds of male buffalo were hanging out when we were there. Big beasts and they DO charge motorcycles that get too close so be aware.

Leaving early 7/30 for Denver to meet up with some pals, then heading for Sturgis, camping at Custer. Going to spend several days riding the Black Hills. Thanks for the photos and info. Kromm, I'll be on the bass bote blue FJR
bye.gif
Stoked is a good word
punk.gif

don't forget to ride through 87 from 16 all the way south through Wind Cave National Park! often ignored with the other roads in the area but an awesome road! That's also where the herds of male buffalo were hanging out when we were there. Big beasts and they DO charge motorcycles that get too close so be aware.
Got that one covered. On our first full day out there we will be heading down 385 to wind cave then taking 87 up to Mt Rushmore. Being from the west coast I have never seen a "live" buffalo in the wild. I know they are BIG and I do respect that.

Chiefblueman - We are leaving on 8/3 and will be in Custer 8/5 - 8/10. We are staying at the Econo Lodge, My buddy I am meeting is Cruzin on the forum. I'll be on my trusty FJR, But his wife wants him to bring their gold wing. I'll Keep an eye out for ya and maybe we will get a chance to grab a cold one and say HI.
good.gif

I'll be leaving for the Black Hills with the wife early on the 31st pulling the dark red bike trailer behind my Cerulean Blue AE. It won't be hard to spot us because we'll probably be poking along at rubbernecking speed trying to keep the wife from sliding off the Bead Rider. Note to self, must brake way way earlier.
hypocritesmiley.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Kromm and Bobg,I'll be keepin' an eye peeled for both you guys. Safe trip, fellas!
punk.gif

Carlson, thanks for the tip re Wind Cave National Park and 87. I'll be checkin it out.

Bobg.. you should be easy to spot.. Blue bike with a red trailer.
smile.png

Have a safe trip.. and maybe see you guys out there.....

Nice write up.

Headed up there again this weekend. Hopefully to get some new pictures and visit some areas I missed two years ago.

Devil's Tower, and back to Mt. Rushmore. Probably camping up near Rapid City again.

Excited about doing a long ride, don't get many in these days traveling so much.

It will be hot, but I am looking forward to it.

Hopefully I will see a FJR or two up that way!.....easy to spot among all the cruiser folks.