Pilot road 4

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckj

Reaction score
Saw this online and thought I'd pass it along.

Boulogne-Billancourt 6 November 2013

The new Michelin Pilot Road 4:

three different versions available from January 2014

􏰀 The Michelin Pilot Road 4 for sport touring, trail and GT bikes will be available in early 2014.

􏰀 The new BMW R 1200 RT will be factory-fitted with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT.

􏰀 Michelin has once again pushed the limits of braking. On wet surfaces, the new

tyres braking distance is shorter than that of its main competitors.

In 2014 Michelin will bring to market an all-new range of motorcycle tyres, available in three versions: the Michelin Pilot Road 4, Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT and Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail.

Intended for road use only, these tyres cover most categories of road motorcycles of more than 600cc.They were designed to deliver maximum safety in the most common conditions of use, especially on wet roads and in particular when braking.

Michelin will also be the tyre supplier for the new BMW R 1200 RT with the GT version of its new tyre. The fact that BMW has selected the Pilot Road 4 for this bike the bestselling bike in its category reflects the level of performance it provides.

In short, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 delivers enhanced safety in all situations and extended tyre life. They are a tangible illustration of Michelins Total Performance strategy of constantly and simultaneously improving tyre performance characteristics across the board.

With the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tyres, the aim is to enable as many motorcyclists as possible to experience safe riding in nearly all conditions.

Size availability:

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Standard

120/60 ZR 17 120/70 ZR 17 150/70 ZR 17 160/60 ZR 17 180/55 ZR 17 190/50 ZR 17 190/55 ZR 17

Ends...

Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT

120/70 ZR 17 120/70 ZR 18 170/60 ZR 17 180/55 ZR 17 190/50 ZR 17 190/55 ZR 17

Media Contact: + 33 (0) 1 45 66 22 22

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail

110/80 R 19 120/70 R 19 150/70 R 17 170/60 R 17

PRESS RELEASE

I wonder if this is a real change/improvement over the PR3? Other than (possible) wear issues, the PR3 has had a pretty fair reputation and has not been around all that long. I suspect that it might have more to do with "new" offerings from the competition (Bridgestone S20 and T30 and Pirelli Angel GT). I have been pretty happy (so far) with the Angel GT's. I will see what mileage I get out of them and either get another set or try the PR4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michelin-Pilot-Road-4-rear.jpg
Michelin-Pilot-Road-4-Front.jpg

Hopefully they will keep carying the PR2's and from what I can see I still won't be changing any time soon. I wasn't impressed with the results on the PR3's and it looks to be another cousin neers I can tell.

Dave

Hopefully they will keep carying the PR2's and from what I can see I still won't be changing any time soon. I wasn't impressed with the results on the PR3's and it looks to be another cousin neers I can tell.
Dave
I had the same experience. And the PR4s look a lot like the PR3, so I probably won't be trying them unless they stop making PR2s.

They look great for the rain. But how many of us say its raining out, let's get out and ride.

Just sayin,

Dave

I'll let someone else be the guinea pig. If the reports come in good, that is, better mileage and they don't get all pointy from aggressive corner carving, I'll try the PR4s.

Otherwise, I'll stick with the PR2s. IMO PR2s are just fine in the rain.

OTOH, I'll probably try a BT023GT or a T30GT on the front before anything else gets put on. I'm getting really tired of bad handling after about 3-4000 miles from the tire sides wearing out before the centres. It's a dual compound tire problem, not so much a brand problem IMO. Both the PR2s and PR3s have that problem, but the PR2s get a little better mileage than the PR3s. If I were to ride less twisty routes and stay in my part of Canada, the PR2s would be the best for me.

I still have the original BT021 on the rear. It has 13000+ miles on it. It's getting close though. The front was changed many miles ago and was changed to a PR2. The PR2 has been my tire of choice lately, I like the way they handle. Well, I do until the front starts to get funky. I haven't read enough GREAT things about the PR3 to change from the PR2 (price) I'll wait to see how the PR4 is. I think my next set will be the Pirelli Angel GT. They are a dual compound sport touring tire and I've red good things about them.

My Gen 1 FZ-1 has gone through two sets of PR2's in the last three (N Mich,) riding seasons, with annual trips to SE Ohio and areas around Deals Gap (not trailered). The 2's always impressed me with their combination of wear and grip but when the 3's came out I decided to give them a try. I have 5000 miles on them now with one trip to the mountains and two to Ohio and have to say the 3's are my current favorite. Very neutral, a lot of warning near the edge of traction, the best front tire in the rain I've ever experienced - and I ride in the rain - plus the wear is very even, no cupping.

Late this summer an 06 FJR slid into the garage next to the FZ and PR3's were spooned on. Five weeks and 4000 miles later those tires are still impressing me. When the time for new tires come next year I'll be trying the 4's.