Pilot Road selection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobias

Reaction score
I've decided to pull the Avons with their badly scalloped sides on the rear tires. Before I ride to the COE in September I'll install Pilot Roads in the standard sizes for the FJR.

The only vendor that shows anything but the common garden variety is MAW. They also show alternative "B" & "K" suffixes in the rear tire descriptions & "B" as an alternative in the front tire size.

Since I usually ride two up I'd prefer the reenforced tires as used on the BMW K1200LT. Does anyone know the difference between the "B" & "K" designations for the rear?

TIA for any assistance. The Michelin website is no help.

dobias :glare

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be best to call the Michelin team in Greenville, SC. They helped me once before. They'll offer guidance on tire selection.

Consumer Relations Department

P.O. Box 19001

Greenville, SC 29602-9001

1-800-847-3435

The B designation indicates that this tire carries a heavier load rating than the standard non-B rated tire. The B tire is used on heavy sport touring bikes such as the BMW K-1200RS / GT and the Yamaha FJR1300.

I'd recommend the Bridgestone OEM rear tire. It has good longevity and there's no question about its suitability for your application. I continue to use this rear tire and have paired it with a Pilot Road front. I don't like the wear characteristic of the front Bridgestone with its busy tread block pattern. I have also used the standard 'universal' rear Bridgestone BT020. In fact, the 'universal' model offers more longevity due to its deeper tread. I've gotten approximately 2K more miles with the 'universal'.

The Bridgestone OEM:

https://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/...lse&GiftID=

not to be argumentative, but the Bridgestone OEM is good for about 3500 miles for me compared to the Avon 8k. I'm hoping the Pilots do at least 5k cuz I'm trying them next

Gentlemen, (you too, Rad);

Johnny, at the Michelin Service department, initially told me the "B" & "K" PRs were not approved nor available in the US . He was surprised when I told him MAW had them listed. He started checking with his European sources of information & will get back to me. So far he found out that there is a shipment coming from Spain of the "B" PRs. Apparently, they're now approved for sale here.

I have gleaned that German safety standards of MC tires are severe. I would like to find their ratings of tires for the FJR, even though I don't plan on riding the Autobahn..

Constant Mesh,

Too bad there isn't a decent front Bridgestone to match up with the rear BT020. My favorite tire installer is now selling Bridgestones & Dunlop.

dobias :glare:

Gentlemen;

True to his word, Johnny at Michelin's customer help line called back with the following information:

The bottom line is there is no listed differences from the standard PRs to the ones listed as B or K. He surmised there may be OEM requested differences that are so slight as to not change Michelin's standards.

The tread depths are the same, however we found there are differences in their weights.

the 120/70ZR17 standard weighs 9.96 lbs.

the 120/70ZR17 B rated weighs 9.85 lbs.

the 180/55ZR17 standard weighs 13.14 lbs.

the 180/55ZR17 B rated weighs 13.05 lbs.

the 180/55ZR17 K rated weighs 15.19 lbs.

I find it interesting that the K models are heavier & the B models are lighter than the standards.

My order has been placed for the B front & the K rear.

dobias :glare: