Pinlock Earplugs?.....feedback appreciated.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
Did a search and didn't find anything. Anybody try these? I've tried many, many different ear plug designs. I always come back to the Max Leight orange foam plugs. Last year purchased a Sena and with the music volume wide open I can barely hear it on the expressway above the wind noise. $27 a little steep for another disappointment so thought I'd listen to some opinions here first. (I ride with the windshield down 95% of the time).

https://pinlock.com/products/earplugs/

Thanks,
Don.

I have been using these for past 2 years or so. I really like them. I have Sena as well, zero issues, these are comfortable for me. Plus, not too pricey to try out.

Hey Deagle I had the same issue, first I had custom plugs (Big Ear) made at the bike show great for wind howl but after a dew hours became uncomfortable. I was told to try these

https://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html
ep3-bk_new.png

and they work great at a fraction of the cost and the sound from my sena is much better at speed. In my other helmet I replaced the speakers with these and the sound is great with or without plugs. https://www.torkworld.com/helmet-speakers/xpro-speaker-elements.html

tork-elements.jpg

Pinlock plugs are interesting. Overall noise attenuation is a fair amount less than conventional foam plugs but appears to be better at higher frequencies - better for wind noise yet may work better for music and communications. I also use the Howard Leight orange plugs. (Great for noise reduction and more comfortable than most)

If you try the Pinlock ones out, please report back.

The Pinlock plugs appear to be either rebranded or knocked off Westone Tru Universal earplugs, which can be had for $19.99 with various filters available. For motorcycle use, you will need the highest attenuation filter available, which offers a modest amount of noise attenuation but not enough for high speed riding for my taste. However the Sena does blast through them a little more effectively than it does through dense foam earplugs. YMMV.

The Pinlocks may use a more robust filter - not sure. I don't use them much anymore, preferring high NRR earbuds instead, which give me a reduction of 35-42 dB as opposed to 20-24 dB for the filtered earplugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you are in Michigan which makes you almost local to the Moonshine Lunch Run in Moonshine IL. You can see details by Googling it. The host hotel in the Days Inn in Casey IL and we pretty much take it over. Greg and Pat Blewett will be there and they have a mission of sorts where they make custom molded ear plugs and only ask for the cost of their materials which is $10. Pat is a physician and Greg is a retired Army medic. Both are multi-time Iron Butt Rally finishers.

So, there is a good opportunity to stretch your FJR's legs, get professionally made custom ear plugs, and eat a really good cheeseburger. If you're feeling especially sporty, you can get it with bacon.

I too found the MAX plus work too well to hear my Sena. My solution was to use the traditional EAR yellow foam barrel ear plugs because their NRR is less, but still cut out the wind roar that has already damaged my hearing during a lifetime of almost daily riding.

Going to do some research and may end up trying both the pinlocks and the EP3 Sonic. I'll report back.

(I had custom ear plugs made years ago at a bike show, and while I know every fitting is different, the fitted plugs didn't do the job as well as the orange Max Leights).

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Don.

Ended up buying the Surefire EP4 and the Pinlock on Amazon. Read a lot of reviews. The Surefire EP4's (very similar to the EP3's, just a different cone design) are advertised for gun ranges and concert goers, but some of the reviews were by pleased motorcyclists, and overall very good reviews on Amazon. There are only a few Pinlock Earplug reviews, even though I found people asking about them on other forums from 2014 (thought there would be more than 7 reviews). But those reviews were by motorcyclists and they also were mostly pleased.

Sounds like a bunch of witchcraft to me, but your positive experiences with these prompted me to place the order. If it can cut down on wind noise AND allow me to hear the Sena then it is money extremely well spent.

I'll report back.

I have a pair of the PinLocks, but not sure if it's that same model. They work pretty well. I bought a pair of these prior to those https://eargasmearplugs.com/products/eargasm-high-fidelity-earplugs?gclid=CLGVruW8-dICFYaPswoduA0GRw and they worked well too, before I put them somewhere I can't remember, and bought the pinlocks at a shop after riding for 2 hours without my other ones.

I think I'll probably order another pair of the eargasm's. I liked them. I could hear the Sena with them in quite well but they took out a lot of wind noise.

I second the No noise, although I have not tried the Pinlock. The no noise are comfortable for all day use, i dont get the headphone ache and can hear the sena good enough for audio books, I do have the Torx speakers as mentioned above.

I found the Sure Fire plugs to work really well, and after trying many types of ear plugs over 35+ years working in a nuclear facility found these to be the most comfortable. One of the nice features you can carry on a conversation at normal levels at stops where when you won't be stopped long and don't want to remove them.

Original Poster: Tried the Pinlocks and the wind noise was double over my normal foam ear plugs. They will not be used again.