Pirelli Angels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPRIDER

Reaction score
Ok boys and girls. I just got an email from Competition Accesories. They have the Pirelli Angel ST tires for $219.99 front and rear, free shipping. I was thinking of going with the PR2s again, but for this price, I may have to try a set.

GP

Ok boys and girls. I just got an email from Competition Accesories. They have the Pirelli Angel ST tires for $219.99 front and rear, free shipping. I was thinking of going with the PR2s again, but for this price, I may have to try a set.
GP

Is that price with a 180/55ZR-17 E or a 180/55ZR-17

Ok now I'm confused. If you go into the Pirelli site and look at all the tires, they show a set of Angel ST tires specificly for the FJR and they are $276.92 shipped for the set. Do you think the rear tire is the infamous E model? The tread pattern looks different too.

GP

I think I got it figured out. The $219.99 sale price is the non E rear tire set. The $276.92 is the E rear tire set price. Not bad if you don't have a problem with running the non E.

GP

Sporttour.com here in Cincy has some good prices on tires also. $243.90 for a pair with a E rear but $9.95 per tire shipping.

I think I got it figured out. The $219.99 sale price is the non E rear tire set. The $276.92 is the E rear tire set price. Not bad if you don't have a problem with running the non E.
I have never had a problem with running a "non-spec" rear tire. I sometimes wonder about all the fuss about a '"E" or any other spec type tire for the FJR.

I have read some excellent reviews on that tire - It's a great deal at that price.

Yeah, I never have had a problem either. Never run a spec tire on the rear in 60,000 miles on either of my FJR's. Might be better to run one, but never have.

GP

I picked up a set in the fall. It just happened to be storming that day. They were extremely slick when leaving so I went to the Ikea store around the corner and spent 30 min scrubbing them in the under ground garage. The security staff must have thought I was crazy doing non-stop figure eights and running up and down all the isles. The ride home was wet but never had a slipping issue. The last 10 miles were back country roads w/ no shoulder and losts of curves. It was a torrential downpour. I have put about 600 miles since then and love them. Much better on turn in than the Battleaxes.

PS I also tried the nitrogen from the dealers and they have remained a steady 41 psi eversince no matter the temp.

Sporttour.com here in Cincy has some good prices on tires also. $243.90 for a pair with a E rear but $9.95 per tire shipping.
FWIW I have always had good luck with sporttour.com down there in Cincinatti. They ususally have the best tire prices, and very good customer service!

Pete

I've had the Angels on my FJR since Thanksgiving week. The first hundred miles thet were only slippery on brick pavers, which were coated with Xylene, other then that they road much better then the BT021's. I did a 623 mile loop from my home in Sebastian, Fl to Bayonet Point, Fl and back to my home. 120 miles of the ride was in light rain to medium Florida downpours. The ride was rock solid with no wiggles or glitches. The Angels kept me feeling secure to the road. I now have 1500 miles on them and no cupping on front and no flat strip on back.

Monitor your air pressure very carefully and they should last you a long time.

I tried the Angel non-E and at 8500 miles the steel belt just started showing on the rear today and cupping at 5500 front. Called my local shop and found out Pirelli did not intend the FJR to use the non-E, thats what he said. So, he offered the rear E for 150.00 after apologizing for the mix-up. The bike has not felt right for the past thousand miles on the non E. Looking for a better deal on other tires. This shop will always match an online price. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up the rear Angel E spec. Great feel and very smooth. I forgot how nice new tires are on the highway after struggling with the worn rear for the last 1000 or so miles.