Pivot Maintenance - FJR Stand?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if it would balance on the headers (wouldn't be easy), I wouldn't put that much weight on them!!
Changing a front wheel, I will have the bike on the centerstand and lift with a jack under the headers but it is probably not much over 50 lb. Lifting the whole bike is closer to 650 (depending on what you have taken off first).

Edit: If you manage to find a way to balance the bike on a stand like that to change out the relay arm (without putting excessive weight on headers or other parts) , please post details and photos. Won't say it CAN'T be done but I don't see how...

Last edited:
Is it possible to support with jack stands below the bag protectors? similar to these ones? with front wheel still on the ground.

71W0pyFHVyL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Yes.

I opted to remove the exhaust cans and rear tire, jack up against the rear axle, rest the bike on the rear peg supports, and then strap it down to the lift. Even if you don't have a lift, this method works and is WORLDs safer than hanging the bike or supporting it from the exhaust pipe, IMNSHO.

IMG-0222-X3.jpg

Not sure you are going to have enough room to work using that jack. If the bolts on the c/s have already been cut and reversed, you might be able to lower it and get to your relay arm. But if you are doing this for the first time on that bike, I don't think you will have room to get a saw in there to cut the front c/s bolts.

Pants, what kind of lift are you using? Thinking of finally adding one to the garage.

That lift belongs to a friend. I'm not sure which one it is, but it is quite nice. He offered and I took advantage to cut my c/s bolts and I changed my relay arm and dog bone swingarm bearings.

Latest posts