Planning a long ride 1600 Kms in 24 hour ....what are the preparations ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick72

Reaction score
Hello Gurus!

Hope you are doing fine , My wife and son went on a small vacation .........so the devil was happy ...... was wondering if I could do a Iron butt ..... then met up with fellow rider (KAWA 1400 concourse) and planning to do it on 1 Apr 2013 , what are the things I need to do ? what about the checks needed on my FJR .

Weather: anywhere between 15 degree centi to 30 degree centi

roads mostly straights

location UAE and Oman

route Dubai- Al ain- Nizwa- Muscat- Sur- Muscat- Nizwa-Al ain- Dubai

starting time 0900 local back on 2 Apr 2013 before 0900

Waiting for you inputs

Ride safe,

Slick 72

Very cool. You will never forget your first Saddle Sore ride.

The best collection of advice is the IBA's Archive of Wisdom found here https://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm.

As far as the FJR.....it will not even break a sweat doing 1660 kms if it is being properly maintained. Make sure your tires are not at the end of life, do all your normal safety checks (tire pressure, fluid levels, lights etc), and you are good to go.

Listen to karstenp, he knows more than a little bit about LD riding.

Try not to go from a typical day of, say 500km to 1600km. Their is a hole world of difference between the two. Also, try to adjust your start/finish times to minimize the time you will be riding at night. Much better to leave at 4:30am and finish around midnight than to ride all night. Get in the habit of documenting your fuel/rest stops - where are you going to put your receipts, what information are you going to record.

Finally, you have lots of time to run 1600km in 24hrs. Keep moving, but if you find yourself getting tired, or need an extended fuel stop, it's not a big deal.

Listen to karstenp, he knows more than a little bit about LD riding.Try not to go from a typical day of, say 500km to 1600km. Their is a hole world of difference between the two. Also, try to adjust your start/finish times to minimize the time you will be riding at night. Much better to leave at 4:30am and finish around midnight than to ride all night. Get in the habit of documenting your fuel/rest stops - where are you going to put your receipts, what information are you going to record.Finally, you have lots of time to run 1600km in 24hrs. Keep moving, but if you find yourself getting tired, or need an extended fuel stop, it's not a big deal.
All true!

Plan your ride, ride your plan, stay hydrated, and have fun.

When I first contemplated doing a SS1k, I started "training". After a 250 mile day, my knees ached, so I made adjustments (hwy pegs). Two day of 500 miles each revealed that a different windscreen would help. Swapped for a different one. Then it was off to the races and success!

If you manage your fuel and restroom stops, you'll have PLENTY of time, so don't hesitate to nap if needed.

As suggested, the IBA site has lots of excellent, experience- and time-tested tips, hints, and suggestions. Read them, know them, do them.

Have fun and be safe - and let us know how it went!

I just finished a SS1000 last Saturday. There are two things I believe made this ride relatively painless. 1st, plan the ride around your normal biological clock, that is if you normally wake up early and go to bed early start your ride to coincide with that. Personally I get up at 5:30 in the morning and go to bed at 10:00. So I began the ride at 4:00 AM and was through slighty after 10:00 PM. 2nd, do not eat large meals before or during the ride. Instead I prefer to ride slighty hungary and have small snacks and drink lots of water during the rest stops. By eating light you don't have to deal with the drowsiness that typically follows as large meal. I didn't do any test rides prior to the SS1000 although I typically ride about 250 miles when I take the bike out. Also watch the weather forecast and make sure you bring appropriate gear. Above all you want to be comfortable as possible.

Good luck with your ride.

Hello Gurus,

Thanks a lot for the information and I hope I do this 1 April 2013 and get certified as an "Iorn Butt"

Ride safe

Slick72

Hello gurus,

Along with Grumpy Goat I completed my Saddle sore 1000 on 2 April 2013 According the GPS the total distance logged was 1654.9km in 23 hours and 14 minutes.Please check his blog for the ride report https://grumpygoat.blogspot.ae/2013/04/petrol-pork-pies-pocari-sweat.html .Our application is in process and hope fully we get certified as " Iron Butt"

link to photos https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.639595636055917.1073741826.100000164604344&type=1&l=c6289e82c4

Ride safe,

Slick72

Last edited by a moderator: